Battle Joined - California DNR Comm PresResponds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Battle Joined - California DNR Comm PresResponds

Those who know Richards well, and even some who donít, realize he is far too bright an individual to have ignited such a polarizing issue as the mountain lion in California, where itís protected, without a design and a plan. Richards insists he did not wish to create a deep divide on the issue, but he has done just that. State Democrats, animal-rights groups and anti-hunting groups have called for his resignation for what they deemed poor judgment in sending a photo to a hunting and fishing publication showing him smiling and bear-hugging the cougar he shot in Idaho. In addition to a possible vote on his ouster next week in the state Assembly, thereís an ethics charge that he improperly accepted a gift, the cougar hunt, that was more than the allowed $420 state officials may take each year.

True to form, Richards is not blinking and is sticking to his guns.

ďLetís be clear on the photo,Ē he said. ďI submitted that photo to Western Outdoor News to share with the sporting community. The Humane Society of the United States took the photo and spread it across the country, not me. The Humane Society of the United Statesí executive director called for my resignation. Iím not out there to change Prop 117. Iím not out there to shoot mountain lions in California. I didnít bring this.

ďAll this smacks of Big Brother to me. We live in a democracy. There are laws weíre all expected to follow. Iím a big believer in that. My tenure on the commission has consistently shown me to be for maximum penalties for poachers.Ē

Richards said he will not resign. He plans on being at the March 7 meeting of the Fish and Game Commission at the Riverside Mission Inn, his first as president. Heís aware there likely will be protesters present. But heís buoyed by the groundswell of support heís received from fishermen and hunters and others who believe the state Legislature is wasting valuable time on this issue. The National Rifle Association and the American Sportfishing Association have stepped up to support Richards.

ďThereís zero resignation in me,Ē Richards said. ďThatís not who I am.Ē

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/...?page=2#article

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

Re: Battle Joined - California DNR Comm PresResponds

Talked to a couple of my CA buddies....it doesn't appear the main uproar is over him killing the cat. The uproar is the hunt was complimentary and state officials by law are limited by dollar amount as to what they can accept. If he produces a paid reciept I'd imagine everything is on the up and up.

On another note; and I should have asked my buddy to confirm this, but I am not sure you can even bring in a mount of a mtn. lion into the state of CA since they went protected there.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hope the sportsmen and women of the state will show up at the March 7 meeting and show their support for Richards.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPro2340
Talked to a couple of my CA buddies....it doesn't appear the main uproar is over him killing the cat. The uproar is the hunt was complimentary and state officials by law are limited by dollar amount as to what they can accept. If he produces a paid reciept I'd imagine everything is on the up and up.

On another note; and I should have asked my buddy to confirm this, but I am not sure you can even bring in a mount of a mtn. lion into the state of CA since they went protected there.
Do you have this statement saved on your computer? Its about the 3rd or 4th time you've posted the same thing.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hope that if their will be protestors at this meeting there will also be sportmans groups their to peacefully show their support for their fellow hunter. Hopefully our fellow hunting/shooting counterparts in CA will call there reps and let them know they vote too. Whole situation is a crazy, california is like some weird european socialst nation, like bizzaro U.S.A. Hope this gentleman gets to keep his position and stands his ground.

Molon Labe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Sage

Is what it is.....him killing a cat in Idaho is a non-issue.
If he produces a paid receipt for the hunt...again a non-issue.
If he wants to fluff his feathers and take on the animal lovers in the main stream media more power to him.

In the end being a public official and being controversial ends up biting one in the butt. If it were me I'd just produce the legal hunting license and receipt and shut up about it and save my energy for the possible legal battle later.

As the old saying goes...."Never argue with idiots; they bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience".

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page