New Challenge for Achery hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New Challenge for Achery hunters

Since there is a thread that is for trying to include Semi-Auto weapons for small game and such, I would like to offer a challenge of a different sort.

As related in one of the latest issues of PON, Some Commissioners stated that their inboxes ran 80% to 90% against including crossbows during Archery season, yet they were included (foolishly some would think) to be a legal weapon during that said season and any season where "Archery" equipment was legal, even though they are vastly different.

Seeing how big name crossbow manufacturers marketed the heck out of them and spent alot of money lobbying to get this inclusion, I doubt that we as hunters could have them removed at this point. However, I think those of us that were against the full inclusion should step up and write the BOC to express our feelings. The BOC needs to know that we as hunters care, even though it may be a moot point now, so that next time anything comes up, they know that hunters and sportsmen should be taken seriously. It also lets them know that even though something passes, it doesnt mean that it was the right decision and may need to be revisited.

I implore all of you to send a letter or email to the BOC concerning this issue. Without our voice as sportsmen, we need to make our thoughts known so that we can have a voice, rather than the BOC caving to political and corporate pressure.

I could spend an hour or two making a template for your letter, but people get tired of seeing the exact same thing over and over and after a few, they will dismiss the rest. Letters and emails should be personalized and written in your own words, so that your true feelings and passion can be portrayed in your writing.

I am not going to go into the pro's and con's of the crossbow since most of us know where they truly belong....and where they dont belong, but you can use your own common sense to hopefully make a difference for future rulings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 AM

Re: New Challenge for Achery hunters

It is kinda funny Robby that you have such a strong opinion on crossbows. Heck just a couple of months ago you made this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby5A
Howdy

I am new here, but have been lurking for a while.

I have decided to get into archery for next season after seeing alot of these posts. I was just wondering if it would be better to get a bow or a crossbow? I know the sunset expires on June 30th 2012 so crossbows may not be reauthorized.

I was leaning towards a regular bow since the crossbow seems more like a gun than a bow, but I wanted to get your opinion since I never shot a bow before. Also, do you think the PGC will reauthorize the use of crossbows? Thanks in advance and nice to meet all of you.

Rob

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Opinions are forged when research is done. I took the replies and the PM's I got from that post, did my own research, shot both as well and came up with a conclusion. If someone cant become strong-stanced on something after a couple months of research and doing it, something is wrong. So there really isnt anything funny about it. Thanks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Good reply. That's the kind of give and take that we need to see more of.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I dont use a crossbow, but I would say you need to do some more research. Just because you shot one once, your against them. I would rather stand up against hunters, hating on other hunters instead.

Good luck with this months crusade, cant wait to see what you dont like next month.
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 AM

You need to think again because if you had more than two weeks experience with a bow/crossbow then you would know there is really no advantage to the crossbow.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
The Man

Always one group of sportsmen against another. We are going to be our own downfall and we deserve it for being so selfish.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Always one group of sportsmen against another. We are going to be our own downfall and we deserve it for being so selfish.
agreed the anti's all seem to agree on everything we hunters need to straighten up our acts.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd be all for getting rid of crossbows as long as compounds recieved the same scrutiny.

To me a compound has way more advantage over a crossbow.

Or just leave it alone and go enjoy your time in the woods.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM

as someone who was once anti-crossbow and now could care less, I have to say that we as hunters need a new way to decide and settle these issues.
I see guys coming on here and knocking Robby, a relatively new member, for expressing his opinion. I then see the SAME people over in sunday hunting world screaming and yelling that those opposing SH are wrong. At what point will some of these people realize that we ALL are entitled to an opinion and "giving in" to what you want isn't going to happen? Don't always assume what YOU want is the majority feeling of PA sportsman.........which brings me to

ATTN PGC: here is a novel idea. How about when major items like SH, semis, crossbows come up, you put a little survey in the hands of the licensing agents and make it mandatory for every license buyer to fill out a simple YES/NO area and collect those numbers. Then publicly show the results before even thinking about making a change. Whether I like something or not I would never go against the MAJORITY of PA hunters, but until I know I am the minority, the fight will rage on for a few items. The "in-fighting" spoken of often these days isn't going anywhere without a way to find out how the majority of PA hunters feel, or don't we count anymore?

sorry, back to topic. I could care less about crossbows. To each their own, if you're for them, use them! If you're against them, complain and rant to the right people. If you're the PGC, read my above suggestion, once again.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page