MD to raise Non-resident fees - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

MD to raise Non-resident fees

Just a heads up for anybody who hunts Md.

The Consolidated liescense fee,(wich will cover all you need except)for watefowl is proposed to be $295.

These prices are not final but I would not look for them to go down too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Sage

Re: MD to raise Non-resident fees

So the maryland resident hunting PA now pays the same for the PA license.

$295 .... and people thought the proposal for the PA NR license fee of %150 was to high.

At least in PA we have public ground to hunt on. Some 2.5 million acres.

MD, public ground offerings is laughable.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick

$295 .... and people thought the proposal for the PA NR license fee of %150 was to high.

At least in PA we have public ground to hunt on. Some 2.5 million acres.

MD, public ground offerings is laughable.
Need to keep in mind their state is just over 1/4 the size of ours I believe it is. They also have far fewer hunters. Having said that, in years past, some friends and I had traveled to hunt the stateforest in the northwest and we had a ball those years. Good hunting if you ask me. I dont know how much has changed since then, but I know the hunting in the east is good for some BIG bucks, and they also have some sika deer in some sections.

Having said all that, as for Pa by comparison, I dont think ours should be based on what ANY other state does, but I wouldnt be against a reasonable nonresident fee increase in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Sage

MD is also funded by the general fund, not self funded.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Yes i believe you are right. What is your point John?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM

I will not be purchasing a MD license if this is the case. I have purchased one for every year for 10 years. Haven't hunted the last 2 or 3 years, but still buy one just in case. No longer. I'll send an extra $100 to the pgc and still be ahead.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Sage

I know I am right. If you want to make comparisons, use all the differences.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

Again, what is your point in pointing out that difference?

There are states that recieve general funding. Thats no big secret. Yet none that Im aware of have 83,000,000 for one years funding for wildlife. I dont think there are many states out there that wouldnt like to trade places with Pa fundingwise.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Sage

Few of them are as large as PA either. Nor do most of them have 1.4 million acres of public land to maintain.

You keep bringing up the revenue, but you miss that about $35 mil essentially static year to year. That to pay expenses until the yearly influx of revenue starts to appear in June.

As stated before, and as a long time former resident of Maryland - that general funding (taxpayer’s dollars) make wildlife management political. The bear season was a key issue in the governor’s race about five years ago or so. Ads to the city dwellers presented the poor bears in peril from the evil hunters as standalone campaign ads. MD's rural population can not overcome Baltimore and the DC suburb's voting clout.

The appeal was to the uninformed and ultra-compassionate.

The general funding is also why hunting is almost a side issue for the DNR. The largest portion of the overall budget MDDNR has goes to activities and enforcement of Bay related issues. The bay is king and all else gets what is left over. Forest wildlife suffers. MD has no real deer program other the roulette board they use for setting deer harvests allowed. Really, communication with the MD biologist is clear they really maintain or seek data on the deer herd. They are not shy in telling anyone asking that as well.

Oh yeah – just for the record:

DNR’s FY10 total Operating Budget allowance is roughly $213 million, an approximate $22 million (10.3%) increase from our FY09 working appropriation.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/pdfs/operating.pdf

But MD DNR is everything – hunting / fishing / parks / forestry so that needs to be taken into account.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:

There is a lesson to be learned here. Years back there was a group of 10 of us from surrounding states that used to hunt with an outfitter in North Carolina each year. Hunting was great...accomodations were great....and the food was awesome. He had such a repeat client base somebody almost needed to die to get a slot during hunting season.

Then North Carolina decided to put a "recipricol fee" on their license basically making your cost the same as your home state non-resident. Wasn't to bad for me because if I remember right the non-res license was $80 and PA was charging $86 at the time so my fee was only $6. But the other guys from Jersey and New York took a big hit and basically decided they didn't want to pay it. The group dwindled along with the outfitters other clientel and the last I heard he closed up shop and moved to Florida. I think it wasn't many years before NC decided to drop the recipricol thing but the damage was done....The state lost the revenue and the outfitter was driven out of business.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page