DCNR establishing new advisory committee on trails - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

DCNR establishing new advisory committee on trails

DCNR Secretary Richard Allan recently announced that the department is forming a new Pennsylvania Trails Advisory Committee to assist the Commonwealth in efforts to build a statewide network of land and water trails.

DCNR is accepting nominations for 14 appointments to the committee until Feb. 21.

“Our nationally-honored Statewide Outdoor Recreation Plan recommended we create a statewide trails committee to help implement recommendations from the plan related to a trail network as a way to facilitate outdoor recreation, provide alternative transportation routes and encourage healthy lifestyles,” Allan said. “This new committee helps us in our efforts to make that plan a reality.”

The establishment of the committee also fulfills some requirements for federal funding programs.

After a year of planning and deliberations with trail stakeholders throughout the state, it was determined that the Pennsylvania Recreational Trails Advisory Board, in existence since 1992, would be expanded and the name changed to the Pennsylvania Trails Advisory Committee.

The Pennsylvania Trails Advisory Committee will consist of up to 20 members appointed by DCNR. Members will represent different types of trail users, builders and advocates, and people with disabilities.

The committee’s responsibilities will include advising DCNR on the use of federal trails funding in Pennsylvania, reviewing and ranking trail project applications and presenting an annual report to the secretary on the accomplishments of the preceding federal fiscal year.

Nominations are now being accepted for appointees representing the following trail user organizations: mountain biking; snowmobiling; all terrain vehicle riding; water trail users; people with disabilities; trail advocates; trail builders; trail planners; an educator or trainer related to trails; trail walkers and four members at large.

Nominations must be submitted to DCNR by Feb. 21. Appointees will serve for three consecutive years.

To obtain a nomination form, please contact Pennsylvania Recreational Trails Program, PO Box 8475, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8475; call (717) 787-7672 or email.

For more information about trails in Pennsylvania, visit www.explorePAtrails.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: DCNR establishing new advisory committee on trails

My instinct tells me Corbett's people will push for more motorized access in the form of ATV's, snowmobiles, and vehicles on public land. The recent awarding of "conservation" grants they did went heavily to off-road motor parks.
I hope I am wrong. With people becoming so disconnected from nature, and us frankly becoming a fat, unhealthy society, I don't feel it is the way to go.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusseyMtMan
My instinct tells me Corbett's people will push for more motorized access in the form of ATV's, snowmobiles, and vehicles on public land. The recent awarding of "conservation" grants they did went heavily to off-road motor parks.
I hope I am wrong. With people becoming so disconnected from nature, and us frankly becoming a fat, unhealthy society, I don't feel it is the way to go.
That would be asking for trouble (litter, accidents, etc)I go in the bush to get away from all that hope it doesn't pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I suspect TusseyMtMan is right. A basic problem with OHV trails on public lands is that a significant number do not stay on the trail, A number of years back at a nearby state forest tract an ATV area was created on a piece that had been a gravel pit. It soon became nothing more than a jumping off point for people to ride through the forest, and often doing a lot of damage in the process. I remember finding ruts cut into the bank of a great little trout stream, Like them or not, ATV/OHVs are intrusive and do a lot of damage.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe that it's a good idea. Unfortunately I also agree that many people will ignore the rules and ruin it for others. You can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the boy. (a different spin on the old saying)

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Sage

I used to sit on the Inter agency committee for use of state lands. It was a mix of club members, hiking, snowmobile and ATV, hikers etc. and state agency managers and a representative from the Gov's office. At that time, most of the recommendations from the committee were geared toward snowmobiles and thing to do to expand snowmobiles and find ways to interconnect them. ATVs were basically glossed over for use ON DNR lands because their goal at that time was zero groth on state parks and state forests and a push to get private land signed up to have a system of connecting trails with those in existance on state parks and forest lands. Of course my roll was pretty much to say,"you can't do that on state game lands" when it came to AYVs.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I used to sit on the Inter agency committee for use of state lands. It was a mix of club members, hiking, snowmobile and ATV, hikers etc. and state agency managers and a representative from the Gov's office. At that time, most of the recommendations from the committee were geared toward snowmobiles and thing to do to expand snowmobiles and find ways to interconnect them.
That's been going on for a number of years, since '98-99 maybe? I used to do some related work and was involved back then. Some other head-nodder from the PGC was on the committee then.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage

I've never seen John nod his head. Not even once, regardless of the direction.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Roland Bergner, that was the guys name. Was actually about 10 years ago, 2001-02.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Yeah, he was in the Land Management Bureau, he wanted off the committee because he didn't know the laws so I got stuck with it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page