Saw absolutely no "Posted" signs for 40 miles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Saw absolutely no "Posted" signs for 40 miles

Driving from Frederick Maryland to Hanover PA. But as soon as I hit the PA line, they were every where.

Guess that is because Maryland requires hunters have written permission to hunt private land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Sage

Re: Saw absolutely no "Posted" signs for 40 miles

In Maryland a lot of the property is posted with a 4" wide by 8" high blue swath of paint. Add the requirement for written permission as well.

Also, Maryland has far fewer hunters. The DNR there is vested most heavily in the bay and fishing than hunting issues. Just the way it is and has been for decades.

As a former Maryland resident for most of my life - coming to PA and having a available and fairly open ability to have a dialog with the GC was a breath of fresh air. That just doesn't happen in Maryland.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Did it make you want to walk your borders and rip all yours down ? Bet not.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

See....the trick is to park your car in Md, walk into Md property, then go North into Pa. property. If you do that, then it's not considered trespassing as you are hunting from another State.

Yeah....that's the rule. Yeah.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 AM

Ohio is the same. Written permission required and you never see a posted sign anywhere.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Did it make you want to walk your borders and rip all yours down ? Bet not.
I would love to take all my signs down. Just pass a law requiring written permission such as Maryland and Ohio have, direct leos to enforce it strictly, and all of my signs will come down. I will also give written permission to just about anyone who asks for it.

The Ohio law is serious. I have hunted in Ohio several times and every trip I was checked at least one time by a law enforcement officer, usually their equivalent of our WCOs. Ohio does not view defiant trespassing as a minor indiscretion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It is interesting to me the societal change that is occuring. There was a time that no, or certainly few owners of large forested tracts would have thought of not allowing hunting, or requiring anyone to get written permission. In fact, it would have been a pain for many. In part, I guess that is the result of the breakup of ownership of forest land in the state, and a change in us as a people. I will also note that until well after the Civil War there was something of a common-law right of free passage across private lands, which included hunting, or at least that is my understanding. Perhaps one of the legal eagle types could confirm or deny.
The short of it is, in my view the move to posting everything is just another example of [censored] selfish we have become, and I count myself among that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM

Maryland doesn't have 750,000 hunters, with probably a quarter of them that think they can hunt wherever they darn well choose!!

I hunt deer in 2F, 5c/d. I hunt waterfowl in whatever unit they happen to be in on that day.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Trailman, perhaps NOT how selfish we have become, but how inconsiderate, disrespectful and slob-like too many of the common citizens have become.

As for the ability to pass and hunt, the first constitution preserved the right to hunt "unenclosed lands". But before you get too excited about that, consider that "unenclosed" didn't mean fenced, but meant unclaimed/unsettled. At the time not all of PA was sold and staked with claims. In 1767, Sir William Blackstone wrote that the law deemed all land to be surrounded by a fence whether visible or invisible and described trespassing with the archaic term "breaking the close" So unenclosed meant land that was not yet owned and settled. Such land was unenclosed with boundaries.

Keep in mind that people in days of yore wouldn't dream of damaging what did not belong to them and the overwhelming majority of those who passed by and through were of no concern to the landowners. Farmers didn't worry about saturday night drunks shooting cows and ponies for fun, or tearing up fields and fences with ATV's and 4wd pick up trucks. There was no common law RIGHT to pass. Owners having less to fear from passersby who far were less prone to cause damage were of simply no consequence to each other. On the other hand, it is documented by Blackstone that owners had the right to seize trespassing livestock, even horses from under their riders, and hold them until paid for the damages. He makes it clear that ANY unconsented entry onto, over or under the property was an actionable trespass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page