Year Later: David Grove - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Sage
 
DennyF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cumberland County 5A
Posts: 25,074
Back To Top
Year Later: David Grove

An article about how things have changed and what needs to be done yet, a year after WCO Grove's murder:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...nty_wildl.html

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
DennyF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: erie, pa
Posts: 12,526
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

a year later and the WCO's still dont have what they need.



typical management. its a money issue not a safety issue, --.

they need rifles (AR-15 in a 308) and radios as well as other equipment. they need 2 officers to a car.

increase the license fees, keep managements hands off it and get what the WCO's need.

they have my support, if you guys can strike, call me, i'll take a vacation day and walk the line (in my area )



http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
bohunr is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh,PA.
Posts: 12,594
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr
a year later and the WCO's still dont have what they need.



typical management. its a money issue not a safety issue, --.

they need rifles (AR-15 in a 308) and radios as well as other equipment. they need 2 officers to a car.

increase the license fees, keep managements hands off it and get what the WCO's need.

they have my support, if you guys can strike, call me, i'll take a vacation day and walk the line (in my area )
Well said!! 2 officers in a car is so logical it`s ovious

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
octagon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Under a Hemlock in the rain
Posts: 3,691
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

the legislature can approve pay raises for themselves but they can't afford to give every WCO in the state a AR-10? somethings wrong with that picture. especially when they are going up against people who are for the most part probably carrying high powered rifles.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
pumpgun is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

The GC just reorganized districts for better coverage. That was needed due to the continual vacancies caused by retirements.

No way the semi yearly classes of WCO's can keep up. And you want to double up on WCO's in a vehicle?

No way, and that by way of law, not the ability to fill the vacant ranks or retirements.

The GC has an authorized compliment of 135 WCO's statewide. Do the math, no way it can happen and the only ones that can increase that number are the same ones that refuse to properly fund the GC.

One thing affects the other, in this case, it just further complicates the matter.

Safety is paramount. The additions of the radio's and service rifles is a no brainer. As is the current practice, something else will need to slip on the priority list to get it done.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: erie, pa
Posts: 12,526
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
the legislature can approve pay raises for themselves but they can't afford to give every WCO in the state a AR-10? somethings wrong with that picture. especially when they are going up against people who are for the most part probably carrying high powered rifles.
heres a quote from the article link above:

BY WCO Frank Dooley of Wayne County, is also president of the Conservation Police Officers Lodge 114 of the Fraternal Order of Police. He represents full-time officers of the state Game and Fish & Boat commissions, doing arbitrations and grievances.

Quote:
“Right after (Dave Grove’s death) two of our officers were shot at by a convicted felon up in a treehouse who knew he was gonna get arrested, plus he was on medication and shooting at our officers,” Dooley said. “Two-hundred five yards. What were they going to return fire with? They were issued shotguns, virtually worthless after 50 yards. We petitioned and (the commission) said it would be too costly to do that.”

there ya have it, the commission is more worried about cost than a WCO's life. know why? they dont have to go on patrol and probably never did.

i support the WCO's but not the commissioners, they can all ....

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
bohunr is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: erie, pa
Posts: 12,526
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
The GC just reorganized districts for better coverage. That was needed due to the continual vacancies caused by retirements.

No way the semi yearly classes of WCO's can keep up. And you want to double up on WCO's in a vehicle?

No way, and that by way of law, not the ability to fill the vacant ranks or retirements.

The GC has an authorized compliment of 135 WCO's statewide. Do the math, no way it can happen and the only ones that can increase that number are the same ones that refuse to properly fund the GC.

One thing affects the other, in this case, it just further complicates the matter.

Safety is paramount. The additions of the radio's and service rifles is a no brainer. As is the current practice, something else will need to slip on the priority list to get it done.

Quote:
something else will need to slip on the priority list to get it done.
i hate to say it but its like how many accidents have to happen at an intersection before the township installs a stop sign or traffic light. something more has to happen before the commissioners can "justify" the cost.

they are reactive not proactive. notice the first 3 letters in proactive...PRO...something the commissioners know nothing about.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
bohunr is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Year Later: David Grove



The link to the article in the original post (OP)still works. Take the time to re-read it or read it for the first time.


Then please take the time to contact your reps and demand that WCO's be given the assault deterrents that all other state LE has, and... the dog catcher, cable guy, meter reader, and so on, and so on.


Then look at the thread on extending the state on duty death penalties to our WCO's. Volunteer firefighters get it. Volunteer ambulance drivers get it. The current bill seeks to give those benefits to the civil air patrol now. Yet - not to our WCO's.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome