House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SW PA
Posts: 417
Back To Top
House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

Reading about this bill in the latest Outdoor news reminds me of just about every other thing that politicians touch....I dont know how many of you are happy with having them involved in much of your daily lives, you know with their amazing Midas touch and all, but I sure as heck don't want them involved in anything hunting related other than supporting the PGC. Oh wait it sounds like an entitlement program for deer hunters, and the rep who introduced it is from 2G and would like to be re-elected.......this sounds like a major problem to me, but I'm hoping that this doesn't stand a chance and intelligent people prevail. Imagine if the politicians back in 1895 passed something like this with the same argument.....I bet that not a one of us would have ever even seen a deer or bear or elk or squirrel....outside of an encylopedia.

It is our duty to focus on our hunting hunting heritage, and let the Game commission do what they do best and manage wildlife, because without the PGC managing the resource, we wouldn't have a hunting heritage to worry about.

Sorry this is so long here is a link to this bill.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legi...br=2034&pn=2794

Take the time to show some respect for the animals we hunt
Flifisher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centre County
Posts: 4,221
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

A definite socialist theme exists within the "we don't see enough deer" crowd.
Sensible hunters, timber and ag interests, and public safety folks need to stand firm against them. Likely, less than 5% of PA residents want more deer in this state. What about the other 95% of us who don't?

Support Habitat Conservation.
TusseyMtMan is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA - Venango County
Posts: 393
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

I'm not sure if I get TusseyMtMan's socialist theme regarding the "we don't see enough deer" crowd,other than it is a buzz word used to dismiss anything we don't like.
However, I largely agree with his overall sentiment. Deer management must be based on sound science and what is best for the entire ecosystem, including every other critter. The PGC may not be perfect, but it certainly is much better than having the political whims of the day or the biggest grumblers and crowd setting deer management or any other wildlife policy.
The Game Commission's job is and should remain managing the state's wildlife for the benefit of the wildlife and therefore the land, and not to provide hunters with targets.
TrailMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

Likely, less than 5% of PA residents want more deer in this state. What about the other 95% of us who don't?


We are regularly denigrated and called the "kill the deer crowd", "tree huggers", or "GC surrogates". Of course any derogatory name will do.

Once again, my sig line is key in this discussion. it truly fits in this instance given the documentable history in the very recent past of legislative involvement in wildlife issues.

Hunters lose. The numbers and influence are against us. Animal rights groups and the anti-gun groups combine resources to fight a common enemy - use.

Legislators follow the votes and the campaign financing.

I have yet to see a well funded hunting oriented advocacy group.

Sad really as many of those wishing to shut us down love watching wildlife that sportsmen's dollars support. That story is one that needs promoted far more than it is.

That and conservation - NOT Environmentalism is the key to health and sustainable wildlife populations.

Add the fact that you do not see now, or ever, the animal rights groups or the eco groups funding wildlife. Hunters and sportsmen do, in most places alone in the effort.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centre County
Posts: 4,221
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

My take on the issue is this: An over-abundant deer herd creates many problems that impact all PA residents and wildlife:
*Serious damage to the eco-system
*Large $$$ losses for the agriculture industry
*Large $$$ losses for the timber industry
*Large $$$ losses regarding automoble collisions, and yes HUMAN LIVES/INJURIES from collisions
* Ticks/Lymne Disease.

If 6% of the state population are deer hunters, and say 50% of deer hunters want way more deer, that means a bill like this serves 3% of the population at the expense of the other 97%. It just is wrong.

Support Habitat Conservation.
TusseyMtMan is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Central PA 2G
Posts: 2,197
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

I used to believe Hanna was a hunters friend but he appearently thinks all the members of the USP and Allegahney County Sportsmen are what he needs to get re-elected.
47studebaker is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
New Arrival
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 37
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

47studebaker - This has nothing to do with the USP or the Allegheny County Sportsmen. To say Hanna is not a hunters friend because he has a bill that would give hunters a say in determining deer management is ridiculous. Hunters should have a say. We buy the license. We are the customer.

Have you read the bill? I have. 5 Licensed Hunters appointed to the board and 1 of the 5 is appointed by the PGC Board of Commissioners. So, Hanna gives the PGC an appointment to the committee AND lets them make recommendations on allocations to start the entire process. It seems like a good idea to me and thats a far stretch from your statement that Hanna is catering to the USP or the Allegheny County Sportsmen.

It cant get any worse than what we currently have. I applaud Hanna for having the stones to try.
snortweeze is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

No he is correct. This a a dream bill by USP as identified on their website.

They lost in the courts of public opinion and the law. Now they resort to "curative legislation" to get their way. As usual, their wants could cause the rest of us much more than than simplistic desire for more deer at any cost.

Legislative control of wildlife management is very bad. It has indeed cost hunters much in starts where it is the norm.


Unified, ACSL and Eveland should just man up and engage in the current process in place. Problem is, they have nothing to prove their positions. Been that way for years and years.

As for the charges of the vast conspiracy they suggest - file official charges. They are talking criminal and ethical violations. There are long established methods for dealing with that.

Alas, they pass. And that tells a very clear story.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Dale Sholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Williamsport , PA. 17701
Posts: 4,333
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

Hanna is a fool that puppets what people want to hear. He has absoluteky no clue about game managemnet.

Dale
Dale Sholder is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage
 
Woods walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 25,661
Back To Top
Re: House bill 2034- entitlement for deer hunters?

It is a bill dreamed up by the USPers, it is also stupid and duplicative and only meant as a way for the USP types to get their way regarding deer herd populations. The bill should never see the light of day outside of the committee. I have seen what some licensed hunters want, on this forum, and off, more deer, having a hunting license doesn't make anyone qualified to determine what should happen to the deer herd. That is like having a plumber decide how to do your open heart sugery.




When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Woods walker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome