How long will it take for changes to Archery ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

How long will it take for changes to Archery ?

I heard about and saw more deer killed this past week with Xbows than I would ever imagine.
Guys that never bow hunted in their lives, women and kids getting deer that had never shot bows before.
Xbows have defiantly added to our ranks, but how long will it be till we see shorter seasons, fewer tags or both?
Its a great time of year to be out, compared to the rifle opener that usually brings cold and rain.There seems to be a big shift to archery hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Re: How long will it take for changes to Archery ?

No big deal.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM

I don't think xbows are taking any more than compounds to be honest. You are correct, however, that is SEEMS to be an above average year thus far in a lot of areas when it comes to archery harvests. Then again, a few other areas seem to be connecting on very little numbers. Very strange thus far.
If the kill is way up, yes, in time adjustments will need to be made, but that is a no brainer.......or it should be Then again, we've been there before. Either way no reason to worry, we have no control over any of it in the end.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawanajim
I heard about and saw more deer killed this past week with Xbows than I would ever imagine.
Guys that never bow hunted in their lives, women and kids getting deer that had never shot bows before.
Xbows have defiantly added to our ranks, but how long will it be till we see shorter seasons, fewer tags or both?
Its a great time of year to be out, compared to the rifle opener that usually brings cold and rain.There seems to be a big shift to archery hunting.
If the harvest numbers are proportional to the number of hunters, then it won't have an effect.

Archers have accounted for 1/3 of all hunters prior to and thus far including crossbows. They also accounted for 1/3 of the harvest.

If archers increase and we have 1/2 of all hunters hunting archery and the harvest goes up to 50% of all deer taken in archery, then again; harvest is proportional to the numbers (and fewer hunters will be hunting the rifle, etc)

However, and I don't expect to see this at all, but IF archers are 50% of hunters and they are taking more than 50% of the total harvest, archery season could be shortened at that point.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I think many will be surprised at how few rifle hunters will be out the first day, a lot of them are shooting xbows and having great success now.
I can see this snowballing, when people realize how much easier the hunting is at this time of year and the ample opportunities that nice weather affords.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
but how long will it be till we see shorter seasons, fewer tags or both?
Deer are managed by total harvest, not by specific season harvest. There is also no concern for pre-rut harvest as does are being harvested along with bucks keeping the b/d ratio relatively unchanged.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I can see this snowballing, when people realize how much easier the hunting is at this time of year and the ample opportunities that nice weather affords.
That is a national trend, in states with crossbows and without them. Participation in archery is increasing while participation in firearms seasons are decreasing. Pa. is headed that way. Has been for some time.

If anything, archery seasons may be lengthened as participation in firearms continues to decrease. Game agencies have to get the harvest they want. Nationally, archery seasons are being increased. May happen here at some point.

Point is, an increasing archery harvest is not necessarily a bad thing if less folks are rifle hunting. Deer harvest goals have got to be met. PGC data now shows we have around 700,000 hunters that say they rifle deer hunt. This is way down from years past. As less folks rifle hunt and spend less time doing it, we need the archery harvest to increase.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Sage

And Jim, I know you don't want to hear it, but its better for the health of the forest (and subsequently better for the remaining deer) if more deer are taken sooner rather than later.

It could end up being a big win all the way around.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

what i'm wondering reading all your posts jim is are you happy with anything. all i've read is doom and gloom. i'm happy for the archers, less hunters in my area come rifle season

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

No one wins when we kill wildlife for their on good.
I believe that we can improve the habitat with chain saws and bush hogs rather then eliminating the occupants of the forest.I'm ain't skeeerd of the deer, really I enjoy them, both on the grill and in my woods.
Some of us see the glass half full when it comes to deer, others see them as enemies of man kind.
This state wide decline in deer numbers is not vaccine for forest health, its far deeper than what you've read.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page