Debate on Sunday hunting heats up between state co - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Debate on Sunday hunting heats up between state co

Debate on Sunday hunting heats up between state congressmen

By Bob Frye, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 6, 2011

Could the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau's long-standing opposition to allowing Sunday hunting — even public land — ultimately restrict it to only private land, like that of its members?

Maybe so.

The state House of Representatives is debating House Bill 1760, which would remove the prohibition against Sunday hunting and allow the Pennsylvania Game Commission to decide when and if to include Sundays in seasons.

That's left many rural elected officials — who typically court farmers and sportsmen — in a quandary. How to satisfy one without antagonizing the other?

The answer, according to Rep. Dan Moul, an Adams County Republican, is to legalize Sunday hunting, but only on private property. He will offer an amendment H.B. 1760 to that effect — while simultaneously proposing a strengthening of trespass laws — if the bill comes up for a vote, he said.

That would give landowners control over what does or doesn't happen on their own land, he said. It would also address fears birdwatchers, hikers and equestrians — who can't be on private property without permission, and who would, in the process of asking for it, know whether hunting was also taking place — have about safety, he added.

"It's simple. It addresses everyone's arguments. And it provides common ground," Moul said.

Michael Balestra said as much in a paper on the legality of Sunday hunting laws written while a law student at the University of Kentucky in 2008.

"Arguments that landowners wish to have their land to themselves one day per week, or that hikers or other non-hunters should be able to enjoy the outdoors, fall on their face concerning private land. If landowners wish to restrict hunting on Sunday, that is their absolute right. Furthermore, non-landowners have little to complain about on private land, as they have no right to use the land in the first place," he wrote.

Sunday hunting bans will eventually "fall by the wayside," he wrote, predicting that its economic benefits will carry the day. Private land is just a logical place for things to start, he said.

That time might be now, said John Hohenwarter, state liaison for the National Rifle Association, a member of the Sunday Hunting Coalition.

The NRA has not said if it will grade lawmakers on their vote on Sunday hunting, and it's "premature" to say if or when that might change, Hohenwarter said. But he's optimistic lawmakers will get some form of Sunday hunting legislation passed, he said.

"There's been more debate on this the past couple of months than ever, but I think we're eventually going to see something moved to the House floor," he said.

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Debate on Sunday hunting heats up between state co

Quote:
The answer, according to Rep. Dan Moul, an Adams County Republican, is to legalize Sunday hunting, but only on private property
Why would you legalize SH on private property only when the owners(farmers) are threating to close said property??

post #3 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:03 PM

I am in favor of Sunday hunting, but when I read the article, that exact thought came to mind. The logic doesn't make any sense!

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO2
Quote:
The answer, according to Rep. Dan Moul, an Adams County Republican, is to legalize Sunday hunting, but only on private property
Why would you legalize SH on private property only when the owners(farmers) are threating to close said property??
'Cause Dan is an idiot. He agrees with SH, chooses to cater to SH whiners, but doesn't want to anger his constituents. Which is exactly what he is doing, besides the fact that private only opens the door wide open for commercial hunting operations. I like Dan, great guy, but he needs to go!
post #5 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Sage

All Sundays...All Seasons...All In!
It's going to save headaches in the end.
It's already alienated farmers...might as well pit public land and private land hunters against one and other too.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #6 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPro2340
All Sundays...All Seasons...All In!
It's going to save headaches in the end.
Got that right. Support HB1760 as is. No ammendments. Gives the PGC, the agency that should be regulating hunting on Sunday, the ability to do as they choose. Those that want "All in" can lobby the right folks for it.

Quote:
It's already alienated farmers..
Only those that do not agree with the expansion of Sunday hunting. The PFB does not represent all farmers, nor do the farmers opposed represent all farmers.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage

It still needs one ammendment.
But I would much rather see this specific bill die and start over.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #8 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
The Man

I read the article this morning and it kind of made me sick to my stomach. Having private land only open to Sunday hunting will just encourage more land to be bought up and posted.
How is that going to recruit and retain hunters? I just think it will create more greed among fellow sportsman.
If we are going to allow Sunday hunting we need to give the control to the the pgc and not allow more hunters to be divided by public and private land users.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #9 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
That would give landowners control over what does or doesn't happen on their own land,It would also address fears birdwatchers, hikers and equestrians — who can't be on private property without permission, and who would, in the process of asking for it, know whether hunting was also taking place — have about safety, he added.
a landowner has control of who he/she allows on their property now!!!

post #10 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Part of the Community

As long as hunters are not required to carry written permission to hunt on PRIVATE LAND, (on Sundays), I have no problem. Being a grouse hunter, I would move to the large privately owned timber company tracts. But written permission may be hard to come by.

Deer hunters would be the only benefactors of Sunday, Private land only rules if written permission is required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page