SH, farmers, and a new thought/ twist! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

SH, farmers, and a new thought/ twist!

so, I'm sitting here reading the 3,489 threads on SH, and posts on how landowners can post their ground to no Sunday hunting should Sunday hunting be implemented further if the bill passes. Have read a thread asking for the farmers opinions, which some farmers gave and then were completely bashed for, and got to thinking. It may be far fetched, and a little light hearted, but here's my thought:

What if farmers took the opposite approach if Sunday hunting was further implemented, and ONLY allowed hunting on Sunday's? They could still enroll in the PGC programs, still have the benefits hunters provide, and could have 6 days a week to themselves.

What does everyone think? Afterall, it seems only youth hunters can only hunt Sunday now anyway, and it seems some adults are working the other six days. A win win for all!

I hunt deer in 2F, 5c/d. I hunt waterfowl in whatever unit they happen to be in on that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: SH, farmers, and a new thought/ twist!

Kudos for seeing the bashing

Unfortunately though, I dont buy the whole youth can only hunt on Sunday thing. Some people who are for Sunday hunting are using that as a crutch to try and get Sunday Hunting in, when in fact it falls on their choice of "priorities".

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned

The regulations concerning farmers and the co-op programs or at least some of them or perhaps there is only one co-op program, but whatever it is it's been sliced, diced and misrepresented so many times I can't recall what is actually expected or required from the Farmer to participate in the co-op programs. One thing if I remember correctly, is that in at least one of the programs the Farmers are required to keep their land open to Public hunting at all times during their enrollment in the program. Now if that is correct, then one might assume that would apply to every day of the week including any Sundays that were added to the hunting Calendar.

Maybe I am wrong, and I'll admit I havn't refreshed my memory on the subject and perhaps the GA or PGC has, can or will change the requirement that the Farmers lands remain open to hunting at all times(including Sundays) when enrolled in certain co-op programs and if not the way I read it any farmers opposed to SH only option would be to opt out of the program and post No Hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanuva
Kudos for seeing the bashing

Unfortunately though, I dont buy the whole youth can only hunt on Sunday thing. Some people who are for Sunday hunting are using that as a crutch to try and get Sunday Hunting in, when in fact it falls on their choice of "priorities".

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnmax
The regulations concerning farmers and the co-op programs or at least some of them or perhaps there is only one co-op program, but whatever it is it's been sliced, diced and misrepresented so many times I can't recall what is actually expected or required from the Farmer to participate in the co-op programs. One thing if I remember correctly, is that in at least one of the programs the Farmers are required to keep their land open to Public hunting at all times during their enrollment in the program. Now if that is correct, then one might assume that would apply to every day of the week including any Sundays that were added to the hunting Calendar.

Maybe I am wrong, and I'll admit I havn't refreshed my memory on the subject and perhaps the GA or PGC has, can or will change the requirement that the Farmers lands remain open to hunting at all times(including Sundays) when enrolled in certain co-op programs and if not the way I read it any farmers opposed to SH only option would be to opt out of the program and post No Hunting.
Farmers enrolled in the co-op program can tell people they have enough hunters. They aren't required to allow all game, all species, all seasons. They can be and are very selective as to who they allow for what AND WHEN.

Some farmers chose to allow everyone that asks to hunt. Some will limit the number of hunters. Both are correct ways of doing business and acceptable under the co-op program.

The co-op signs don't mean you have a right to be there. They mean that farm allows some kind of hunting. You still need the landowners OK.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage

I have a farmer friend who is in co-op and he limits ONE thing. You must stay out of his daughter's stand on opening day of deer rifle. Other than that, he has never turned down a hunter who needed a place to hunt.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Place where I hunted deer in my 'utes the farmer wanted us to kill as many deer as we had tags for to protect his crops.

But he said leave the turkeys alone, because he liked them, so we did. If he said no hunting on Tuesdays because thats when he cut wood, we would have honored his wishes.

It's just so simple, I don't understand why some just don't "get it".

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 AM

It's as simple as this,if the landowner does not want hunting on his land then respect that and move on.If by chance he says go ahead,then great enjoy,but if he says no sunday hunting of any kind then so be it.Remember he owns the property and he calls the shots as when you can be there or not.I hunt some public land that totally disgusts me to no end,seems i spend more time picking up other peoples trash then getting any hunting done.If any of these landowners would see how some of our public lands look like i would not blame them one bit for saying no to everyone who would come knocking and asking for permission to hunt.I have knocked on a few doors myself and even offered to help them out when they needed help just so i could hunt their property,but more times then enough even after offering was turned down.I think i can now see why we have so many people trespassing on private land,one does get disgusted with all the no's being thrown at them when asking permission,but it still is no right to do it.Sorry for the rant.

rich battistoni

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page