Lawmakers Call PFB Uncompromising on SH - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Lawmakers Call PFB Uncompromising on SH

State House lawmakers voiced frustration Thursday with one of the opponents of lifting Pennsylvania’s Sunday hunting ban. The proposal would put the Pennsylvania Game Commission in charge of regulating hunting on Sundays.

Among those against it is the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, the state’s largest organization of farms, representing more than 53,000 members. Joel Rotz, State Governmental Relations director for the Bureau, said farmers are reluctant to give up the one day they can count on not having to worry about hunters on or around their land.

But at the third hearing on Sunday hunting, lawmakers on the Game and Fisheries Committee called the Farm Bureau uncompromising in its position, and urged the organization to change the way it comes to group decisions.

Rotz said the bureau’s Board of Directors will revisit the issue at the annual policy-setting meeting in November.

“I can assure you the issue is going to be discussed on our delegate floor,” said Rotz, “because at least one county has pushed the resolution forward to change our position on Sunday hunting. Not going to go into any more detail than that, but the discussion’s going to take place.”

Republican Rep. Jeff Pyle, of Armstrong County, questioned how the Farm Bureau’s stance against Sunday hunting could be so absolute, when his own constituents appeared divided on the issue.

“NRA and the pro-Sunday hunting guys last weekend dropped a mailer on my district,” said Pyle. “‘Contact me! Let me know what you think.’ Want to know what the count is? 220 to 180 thus far, since last Saturday, in favor.”

The hearing came one week after the release of a report done by the Florida-based natural resources research firm Southwick Associates, and authorized by the Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee. The report estimates Pennsylvania could stand to see more than $800 million in annual economic activity if hunting is legalized on Sundays.

Rotz said the study defies common sense.

“How much of the expected economic impact is actually new dollars coming into the state? In other words, are we concluding that everyone who will be out hunting on Sundays currently does nothing to contribute to the state’s economy on Sunday?”

Proponents of Sunday hunting include sportsmen’s groups. Lobbyists from various hunting organizations said keeping the old blue law on the books denies the state millions in annual economic activity that would result from allowing hunters to schedule a full weekend in Pennsylvania. They voiced concern for the decline in active hunters in Pennsylvania, and argued that some people maybe only have the option of hunting on Sunday.

Mike Budzik, a lobbyist with the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, said Ohio lifted its Sunday hunting ban in 2002 and hasn’t had any of the problems that recreational groups against Sunday hunting expected – like interference with hikers, foragers, or foliage enthusiasts known as “leaf peepers.”

“We haven’t shot any horseback riders, haven’t shot any horses. We haven’t got any mushroom pickers, or berry pickers, or hikers, or peepers, or whatever. Honestly, in not any joking form, it hasn’t happened.”

http://www.witf.org/state-house-sound-bi...y-hunting-issue

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Re: Lawmakers Call PFB Uncompromising on SH

Another view:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ave_a_sho.html
post #3 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Regular Visitor

come on sportsmen, there's 50,000 to 70,000 people in the pa farm bureau, theres 1 million hunters in pa. why would the farm bureau dictate anything that has to do with hunting on Sundays. we out number them 11 to 1. to the farm bureau i say POST your land if you don't like Sunday hunting, i could care less. in northern Butler, all farmers hunt, so lets not let the few rule the masses. lets be heard sportsmen. could someone call Ted Nugent please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Joel admitted during the hearing that AT LEAST ONE County Farm Bureau has written a resolution in SUPPORT of Sunday Hunting.

And the Farm Bureau further admitted that they have ABOUT half of their total membership; or about 25K members are farmers.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Regular Visitor

its a classic case of a handful of people giving there view on Sunday hunting,when in fact, the 25,000 members who own farms could care less if there's Sunday hunting or not. In northern Butler county, most farmers hunt and will be standing right beside you on Sunday hunting. there are rules in place to prevent hunters from being on your land if you do not want them there, post, you have to ask permission before you hunt on someone's land. if its a trespass issue. i have more non-sportsmen trepass on my farm the hunters.4-wheelers, snowmobiles, horseback riders, etc. i write my reps. once a week on the matter. Sunday hunting is way overdue in pa. lets get it done.
post #6 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Farm Bureau further admitted that they have ABOUT half of their total membership; or about 25K members are farmers.
It was funny to see Joel scramble as the numbers for the PFB kept changing and declining... I can't believe he didn't stay for the entire hearing! Are any of our State Rep's going to the PFB meeting in November?

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #7 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdogg1
its a classic case of a handful of people giving there view on Sunday hunting,when in fact, the 25,000 members who own farms could care less if there's Sunday hunting or not. In northern Butler county, most farmers hunt and will be standing right beside you on Sunday hunting. there are rules in place to prevent hunters from being on your land if you do not want them there, post, you have to ask permission before you hunt on someone's land. if its a trespass issue. i have more non-sportsmen trepass on my farm the hunters.4-wheelers, snowmobiles, horseback riders, etc. i write my reps. once a week on the matter. Sunday hunting is way overdue in pa. lets get it done.
Elk, he also admitted that there are many farmers who support Sunday hunting, but the only vote they have is from delegates and heaven knows when that was. The only time a "policy" issue comes up for a re-vote is when a county writes a resolution.

As I believe Joel stated, once a policy is set; there is NO changing it until a resolution is written.

So somewhere in PFB policy, it might still say "Steel wheel tractors only"

post #8 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothHunter
Quote:
Farm Bureau further admitted that they have ABOUT half of their total membership; or about 25K members are farmers.
It was funny to see Joel scramble as the numbers for the PFB kept changing and declining... I can't believe he didn't stay for the entire hearing! Are any of our State Rep's going to the PFB meeting in November?
I sure hope so. Clamor in the room was they were already targeting Senators to stop the bill once it gets there. They must think this bill has legs now.

post #9 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdogg1
come on sportsmen, there's 50,000 to 70,000 people in the pa farm bureau, theres 1 million hunters in pa. why would the farm bureau dictate anything that has to do with hunting on Sundays. we out number them 11 to 1. to the farm bureau i say POST your land if you don't like Sunday hunting, i could care less. in northern Butler, all farmers hunt, so lets not let the few rule the masses. lets be heard sportsmen. could someone call Ted Nugent please.
Hunters might out number farm bureau members 11-1 but hunters in PA only make up less than 8% of this states population. Be careful what you ask for.

My one question? Our friends, neighbors and in some cases relatives, the great farmers of PA have shared the hospitality, their crops and the use of their land for generations to us, and in return asking nothing but to please close the gates when you leave, yet to a vocal few they have become the enemy of hunting in PA. Why? because for the first time ever they said no, no we don't want you on our lands the one day of the week we find special.

I guess we have reached the place and time when America is a place where my pursuit of happiness far out weighs my neighbors. The "Me's" have it.

This is one time I am ashamed to be included in what once was a respected and admired family tradition, hunting PA.
post #10 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawanajim
I guess we have reached the place and time when America is a place where my pursuit of happiness far out weighs my neighbors. The "Me's" have it.

This is one time I am ashamed to be included in what once was a respected and admired family tradition, hunting PA.
Yes, it is quite shameful that those few PFB members that are against hunting are being so unfeeling towards their neighbors and the Pa tradition of hunting. They're selfish and care not at all about other people.

MAGA 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page