Informed and Educated- unlike SigPro's buddy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Informed and Educated- unlike SigPro's buddy

Sunday hunting is not only about hunters

October 16, 2011

By Walt Young - For the Mirror , The Altoona Mirror

Save | Post a comment |

The question of allowing Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania continues to be a hot button, evoking a wide range of opinion and emotion among hunters and non-hunters alike. To begin, let me reiterate that personally my dog is not in this fight. I have always preferred to hunt on weekdays and for most of my life had jobs that allowed me to take days off to do so. But examining the issue objectively and unselfishly, if I were a policymaker charged with making a decision on the matter, I would have to vote "yes" for Sunday hunting based on all the facts regarding the subject.

Since I wrote a short column about Sunday hunting back in July, I've had the chance to talk to many folks, especially non-hunters, about this controversial topic. Through those discussions, I've learned the public holds harbors many misconceptions about hunters and hunting in Pennsylvania.

The one misconception I find most unsettling is it is not safe to be in the woods during hunting season. Many non-hunters who have expressed opposition to Sunday hunting say that is the only day they can go for a walk in the woods or otherwise enjoy the outdoors in the fall. It's almost as if they perceive merely setting foot in the forest during any day in hunting season is an invitation to be shot. That notion is simply far-fetched, unfounded and somewhat ridiculous, and I say that both as a hunter and as one who spends many days in the woods each fall and winter during the hunting seasons participating in activities other than hunting.

In fact, the notion that Sunday hunting isn't permitted in Pennsylvania is not entirely accurate either. Coyotes can be hunted 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Foxes can be hunted on Sundays and also at night from mid-October through mid-February. Crows can be hunted on Sundays from July 1 until the first week in April. Certainly these species are unlikely to draw high numbers of hunters to any given place on any given day, but folks out for a Sunday stroll should be aware they have always faced the possibility of sharing the woods with hunters pursuing these varmints.

If Sunday hunting in general was to become a reality in Pennsylvania, non-hunters should have no reason to discontinue enjoying the outdoors during hunting season. It would probably be prudent to wear some orange or other bright-colored clothing or to avoid the opening days of the more popular seasons. Hunting is actually one of the safest outdoor activities. Although even one accident is too many, Pennsylvania hunters have posted an extremely impressive safety record in recent years due to increased hunter education and overall safety awareness. In reality, you have a much greater chance of being killed or injured while driving to or from your outing than ever being involved in a hunting accident.

Another misconception is that state game lands are public lands for everyone to use. State game lands are open to public use with a few special seasonal restrictions, but unlike other public land such as state forests or state parks, state game lands have been set aside first and foremost as public hunting lands. All 1.5 million acres of state game lands were also purchased entirely by hunters with money spent for hunting licenses. As a hunter, I've always been proud to share these resources with my fellow citizens without any charge to them.

Statistics show that a large majority of Pennsylvania citizens enjoy viewing wildlife and therefore support the obligation of our state government to manage properly all the various species of wildlife that exist in our state. But do you know what percentage of your tax dollars go toward wildlife management and conservation? The answer is zero, zip, nada, not one cent.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is our state agency charged with the management of all 480 species of birds and mammals in Pennsylvania. Unlike most other state agencies, however, the Game Commission is independently funded and receives no general tax dollars. Its primary source of revenue is the sale of hunting licenses and other fees and federal aid derived from excise taxes on guns, ammunition and hunting equipment. Of those 480 species of wildlife, just 57 are hunted as game species. But all the money hunters spend for licenses and equipment to pursue a few dozen birds and animals foots the bill for all wildlife management in Pennsylvania, including the 423 non-game species.

I hope some of these points will provide a better understanding of hunters and hunting to fellow outdoor enthusiasts who don't happen to hunt. Next week, I will address some of the misconceptions that many of my fellow hunters also hold. In the meantime, let me day if Sunday hunting were to happen, I believe after a year or two, most of us would be wondering what all the fuss was about.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Sage

Re: Informed and Educated- unlike SigPro's buddy

Quote:
Statistics show that a large majority of Pennsylvania citizens enjoy viewing wildlife and therefore support the obligation of our state government to manage properly all the various species of wildlife that exist in our state. But do you know what percentage of your tax dollars go toward wildlife management and conservation? The answer is zero, zip, nada, not one cent.
Have to send him the links to the Kittatinny Ridge thing...LOL. That was about 650K of state, township, and local tax money.

BTW: I have never met Carpenter personally....I just follow his columns. He is a big advocate for gun ownership.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
hdt
Banned

If there is a safety concern with Sunday hunting, it is most likely going to be caused by some redneck-"hunting is my life" type gets angry when someone he considers a "tree hugger" walking his dog as a disruption to his hunt.

I can hear the stories now: "Just as the 150 class buck was working his way into my shooting lane, some yuppy and his dog chased it away...he will think twice before he walks his dog during hunting season again."
That kind of thing will do wonders for the hunters of the state.

Do people really believe Sundays in the woods are wasted if you cannot kill something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt
....Do people really believe Sundays in the woods are wasted if you cannot kill something?
Many anti-hunters believe that to be true of all hunters regardless of what day of the week it is. Their belief is stupid and meaningless because it is based on their emotions, not on any real facts.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
The State Game Lands system includes a number of extensive holdings
on the Kittatinny Ridge, protecting wide swaths of prime habitat
from development. For nearly thirty years, the non-profit Wildlands
Conservancy has used their “Wildlands Preservation Fund” to purchase
parcels of land that add land and access to State Game Lands.
Across eastern Pennsylvania, Wildlands has purchased over 33,000
acres, and subsequently transferred these lands to the Pennsylvania
Game Commission for ongoing management. This partnership has
led to additions to State Game Lands within the Kittatinny Ridge corridor
in seven counties.
Quote:
Under the proposal, Kirkridge would sell the development rights for $4,500 an acre, or a total of about $500,000. That works out to $250,500 from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, $199,400 from the county and $51,100 from the township.

The conservancy also proposes purchasing 22 contiguous acres with $76,250 from the state, $61,000 from the county and $15,250 from the township. A third privately owned parcel could be slated for preservation next year; the current asking price is $255,000 for an easement on 49 acres.
Imagine that.

post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
hdt
Banned

You certainly would not guess that from reading most of the pro SH posts.
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Many anti-hunters believe that to be true of all hunters regardless of what day of the week it is. Their belief is stupid and meaningless because it is based on their emotions, not on any real facts.
Doesn't matter how this Sunday Hunting thing plays out...somebody is going to be unhappy....it's unavoidable.
That's why if this blue law ever gets undone it should be every sunday in every season.....ALL IN!

You'll have the least amount of angry people.

post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 AM
hdt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt
....Do people really believe Sundays in the woods are wasted if you cannot kill something?
Some hunters believe it to be true of many hunters. I have spoken to, and even hunted with, a few that are just like that. It's kind of funny that they have been in favor of many of the recent changes made in our game laws. They all want to kill as many as easily as they can. A couple even keep sayng they can't believe we aren't allowed to bait deer and bear yet. Some will never be satisfied.
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 AM

You put all the bait out you want as long as it has roots,...

It is hard to prevent oneself from believing what one so keenly desires

post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM

Bump for increased Sunday hunting!

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page