The $ and Common Sense of Sunday Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Sage

The $ and Common Sense of Sunday Hunting

The Economics and Common Sense of Sunday Hunting

Posted on September 30, 2011

By Evan Heusinkveld, Director of State Services

Great interest has been taken in the debate over Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania this year. When you drill down into the facts of the debate, however, I find the reasoning behind the uproar utterly perplexing.

Let’s start with the numbers. There are multiple economic impact studies that have been completed during the past five years. The first was produced by the Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee (LBFC). The LBFC is a bipartisan committee made up of six members each from the House and the Senate. Their report, which was issued in 2005, estimated that Sunday hunting would create 5,300 new jobs and generate $629 million of economic impact each year in Pennsylvania.

Those numbers were supported by two additional recent studies. The first was produced by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) earlier this year. NSSF’s study projected 8,200 jobs and a $764 million impact– a substantial increase over the 2005 study. Just last week, the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance released its own study – done using the exact same criteria used for the 2005 LBFC study and simply updating the numbers based on the most recent data available. This study showed a creation of 7,200 jobs and $777 million in economic activity.

My point is this – whether we are talking about an additional $650 million or $750 million, or 5,300 verses 8,200 jobs , we’re still talking about injecting more than a half-BILLION dollars into the Commonwealth’s economy each year and creating thousands of new jobs.

The second item that I find baffling is the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau’s position: they are actively advocating for a policy that RESTRICTS their own members’ property rights. That’s right, by not allowing landowners – or hunters – to decide for themselves if they want to allow or partake in Sunday hunting, property rights are being restricted with the blessing and encouragement of the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau.

Additionally, it’s presumptuous of the Farm Bureau to think that they should be able to dictate what happens on ALL PUBLIC and PRIVATE lands in the Commonwealth. Do farmers own a significant amount of land in Pennsylvania? Absolutely, and hunter’s often benefit from the use of it, just as farmers benefit from sportsmen controlling game populations by hunting. But farmers don’t own all the land – not even close. What gives Farm Bureau the right to tell every landowner in the state what they can and cannot do on their own land?

The bottom line is this: Under House Bill 1760, farmers (and regular landowners) will have the same ability to restrict when and if hunters can access their land on Sundays just as they do Monday through Saturday right now. House Bill 1760 merely puts control of setting seasons and bag limits into the hands of the appropriate governmental agency—the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

At the end of the day, there are many arguments that have been tossed about as to why Pennsylvania should continue to treat sportsmen and sportswomen different from other citizens – some more perplexing than others. But why in 2011, is the state of Pennsylvania still telling landowners that they are not able to decide how to use their own land on Sunday? And what cost to the Commonwealth’s coffers is the legislature willing to accept to continue this outdated ban on Sunday hunting?

-US Sportsman's Alliance

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Re: The $ and Common Sense of Sunday Hunting

I support sunday hunting and I support HUSH
4D,5C and 5D
2nd Admendment Defender
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Now I understand!!! I finally get it, gee thanks for the new article!

It is hard to prevent oneself from believing what one so keenly desires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

OK, who wants to answer this question.

"But why in 2011, is the state of Pennsylvania still telling landowners that they are not able to decide how to use their own land on Sunday?"

I'm all ears. GTF, thxs for posting.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM

So SH will let me do whatever I want on my land? Why not just go for broke, give every landowner 100% control of their land and just do away with "any" restrictions, period?

It is hard to prevent oneself from believing what one so keenly desires

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Welcome. I just told a woman who likely doesn't even allow hunting on her land and doesn't want Sunday hunting to immediately call and cancel her electric, cable and newspaper delivery. I also told her to get rid of her cows because their methane annoys me, I don't particularly care for that awful "Moo" sound, and I don't drink milk.

If she wants to restrict what I do on my own land, then dag nab it, I'm going to restrict what she can do on hers.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Don't see any need to buy a license, heck its my land is it not. matter of fact I think girl gave me a better idea, I'm cutting down those telephone poles that I now have to brush hog around, its my land. And maybe I'll dam my creek up so I can have my own lake then I won't need a fishing license either.
Yea Sunday hunting make more sense to me now, thanks for the heads up.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Is hunting a lawful activity? She wants NO hunting on Sunday (and likely any day of the week) on ANYONE's land for ANYTHING. Don't confuse the lawful activities with unlawful ones.

Its legal to hunt crows, fox, coyote, english sparrow and starlings on Sunday.

She wants that to end too.

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

You beat me to it GTF, yep legal Mon_Sat but not on Sunday.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

You do much hunting on your 1/2 acre? Or just raise cattle on it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page