The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Domestic cats

11K views 98 replies 42 participants last post by  MDsurveyor527 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well known and verified statistics, but cat lovers still insist there is no down side to their Trap/Neuter/Release scams, that continue to stymie practical efforts to control feral cat numbers nation wide.

No police force will intercede if you're over run with feral cats. Shoot one and they'll be happy to show up and arrest you on the spot.

A neighbor always let her cat outside to prowl about, killing baby bunnies and song birds at will. Only stopped when the cat got run over on the road. Cat she has now, stays in the house. I once saved her cat when a fox chased it out of the woods and up thru her back yard. Regretted that almost immediately, when I distracted Brer Fox long enough for the cat to get up a tree in the yard.

:crying:

#5 ·
I’m a cat guy, we have 4 of them. They’ve never been outside since they were rounded up as kittens. I had them declawed and neutered when I got them. This crew would be terrified if they were to set foot in the yard. There’s a big tom cat that has hung around outside my place for three plus years. I don’t know if he belongs to the neighbors, we don’t feed him but he looks well fed. He sits on my wood pile and suns himself, hunts mice around my fur shed, garages and honey house. I haven’t caught any mice in my traps since he showed up. When I leave the doors open on the outbuildings and he always goes in to look around.

Cats are amazing predators....I’ve seen one of ours stake out a spot in the basement for a day and a half waiting out a mouse. When I was a kid, we had a cat that was inside/outside, it would catch half grown groundhogs and drag them onto the front porch.

I’ve seen feral cats miles from homes, even saw a couple way out Sproul SF. Those cats don’t get a get out of jail free card when I’m trapping.

#7 ·
Eight or ten years ago, the PGC/BOC advertised in their upcoming meeting agenda, that they were considering efforts to deal with feral cat predation on birds and small mammals.

Dozens of T/N/R "cat ladies" showed up to protest that decision. There were articles in newspapers about it, so the word was out and many of those T/N/R ladies vehemently testified against PGC doing anything to endanger "their" cats.

The Commissioners were kinda stunned by the turnout and tabled the idea, but the "cat ladies" gathered outside plotting their next move, until someone who shall remain nameless, went out and told them they'd won, so they could leave.

0:)

Woodsy will remember this, as he and I watched as several of the cat ladies pounced on another woman in the lobby, thinking she must be an ally? She wasn't. She is a wildlife rehab person, that has no love for feral cats and said so when approached. Couple of the cat gals got a tad wobbly, when she mentioned something about wanting to shoot every feral cat she could find.

:smile2:

#75 ·
In past years we used to hunt groundhogs on a farm in western Indiana county. One time the farmer asked us, "Do you guys shoot cats?" Not knowing quite how to answer we hemmed and hawed a few seconds then...
"If you guys see any cats in my fields shoot'm, they're strays and if you don't shoot'm ya come'm back!":smile_big:

#14 ·
Many years ago we had a problem idiot in our developement who was harboring feral cats, he would feed them daily and they would all gather on his front stoop every morning to be fed. The group of cats kept growing as they continued to breed until there were close to thirty of them. I got tired of seeing them watching my bird feeder and crapping in my wife's flower beds and my garden to I and another neighbor took action. We set live traps in our yards and we trapped 28 feral cats. We took them for a ride to a nearby woods and that is where I assure you they stayed, they we came home and reset the traps until there were no more cats.

#18 ·
I've only killed one cat and Ill never kill another one as long as I live. I was driving down a road near the Pa Grand Canyon and this cat ran out in front of me. I hit it killing it. There was farm house there, and I went to the door to tell them I killed their cat. A girl came to the door and I explained what happened. I added that I would like to replace it. She asked if I was good at catching mice? I said yes. I've been catching mice for her for 43 years.

#20 ·
I've had cats for almost 48 years now. My current buddy brings home the occasional chipmunk or mouse. Once in a while I'll find bird feathers in the yard. No big deal to me. He is "fixed" and causes no problems, unlike the dogs in the neighborhood whose owners let them bark at 6 in the morning.

#21 ·
. My current buddy brings home the occasional chipmunk or mouse. Once in a while I'll find bird feathers in the yard. No big deal to me. .
The current issue of Outdoor News has an article stating that the bird population has dropped 29 percent in the last 50 years. From my experience, it has dropped a lot more than that and most of it has been in the last 3-5 years.

The biggest single change I see in 5 years is not habit deterioration or global warming. It the number of feral cats. People don't shoot them like they used to. Cat Colonies are the latest tree hugger fad where a pet lover agrees to take any cats without a home and turns them loose on there property. Of course they don't stay there. So instead of looking out my window and seeing rabbits, chipmunks and birds, I see the neighbors free ranging cats walking through my yard with a bird or baby rabbit in its mouth. They are on my property continuously since she started this colony five years ago.

So it may not be a big deal for you but it is for your neighbors. Please keep your cat on your own property.

#33 ·
I pulled into my driveway at the cabin one night and saw something run across my deck. Right after 8 kittens, one at a time jumped onto the deck and ran across to the other side. I figured I had to get rid of them but I never saw them again. Shortly after that I was walking around my property and about 50 yards behind the cabin I found coyote poo. Guess that's where the kittens went

#37 ·
I finally evicted the groundhog out from under my shed. I looked out the window yesterday and what did my wondering eyes see? A black cat came out from under my shed. No collar. Later in the day a gray and white one appeared. I'm going to have to remind them I'm not running a time share.

#39 ·
i left a neighborhood web site because of a cat comment. those people have no sense of humor. one lady posted that she took in some stray kittens and wanted to give them away. one person started to bash her, claiming she could not just give them away, she had to make sure they were going to good homes. i posted that i usually give mine to the guy at the chinese restaurant, he likes cats....

you would have thought i insulted someones wife or molested a child with the replies i got. i was called racist (i said chinese) insensitive and cruel ( apparently i said he eats cats) and so on...i kept the argument going for days, it was fun, but i got bored.

you can whack any cat you see roaming the woods if you are so inclined just dont tell anyone...SSS, SHHHH !!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.