Birds in SE PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Birds in SE PA

Posted this on a different site.

First let me be clear in stating that I am not an alarmist or a conspiracy guy.
I have recently returned to SE PA after several months out of the area. Having been home for about a week I naturally took stock of my home looking for things that need fixing / attention (gad-zooks - what a dump).
In that process I attended to the back yard bird feeder and noticed that it was full of food. I asked my son (who was watching the place in my absence) when he last filled the feeder and he said it had been weeks - no birds were using it..... Huh?
In the following days. including right now, I have seen one (1) bird in this entire area of northern Chester County, PA. This is not right and I am concerned.
We have a massive Spotted Lantern Fly infestation in this area and I understand that some communities are spraying for them and I wonder if this has impacted the birds?
If anyone has any information on this please pass it on. Thanks

PS, not many squirrels either.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 AM

Not many birds or squirrels hitting my feeder lately in Elk County either.
jimsdad likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

curios story keep us posted on what you find out
jimsdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM

we are not seeing birds like we have in the past. instead filling the feeder 2 or 3 times a week it is now
once a week.
the squirrels are still here & I would like to know how they find out I just put sunflower seeds so quickly ?
1 or 2 are usually around but when I put the seeds out there are almost a dozen here in competition for the seeds !
jimsdad likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:29 AM

We have more dang birds in our backyard than I can count, I run out of fingers and toes pretty fast. If I sat on our back patio I could kill a limit of mourning and white wing dove everyday.
jimsdad likes this.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take a ass whipping.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

There was a big article about this in the Pottstown Mercury today. From the article...

WHERE HAVE THEY GONE?
Study: 3 billion fewer wild birds in North America since 1970.

"Experts say habitat loss was the No. 1 reason for bird loss. A 2015 study said cats kill 2.6 billion birds each year in the United States and Canada, while window collisions kill another 624 million."
jimsdad likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:01 PM
The Man

The numbers of birds also seem low here in central PA. (Centre & Clinton), and also to the north (Lycoming and Tioga).

No spotted lantern flies in this area, so I doubt that it is related to that.

The numbers seemed to be in decline over the last few years.

But this year the numbers seem VERY low.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad others have noticed.
Bigbrownie and Doneworking153 like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Banned

I have been filling my feeder every day I have lots of birds. However there are some birds that are conspicuous by their lack of numbers. I used to have lots of Mocking birds, I now have none. They have been replaced by catbirds which I like better, but I am concerned about the disappearance of Mocking birds. Only 5 years ago I would have 10 to 12 Gold Finches at my feeders and on my wife's Cone flowers daily. Now if I have more than one it is unusual. Some birds like the Eastern Meadow lark have been in trouble for a long time. Something is going on, I live in an area that had a boatload of mourning doves since I moved here in 1976. It was no problem to find a good place to hunt doves 10 years ago, now it is almost impossible to find a good dove spot despite the fact that there are chopped corn fields that have not only a lot of ear corn but also a load of shelled corn from the chopping process. This year I had permission to hunt a freshly partially chopped corn field that was perfect, chopped field with a ton of corn available to the birds and a woods for roosting and some big mud puddles for water. After 4 hours of sitting I saw exactly zero doves and none on the electric and phone lines which under normal circumstances would have been full of doves. Something is happening, I don't know what but as a person who is in the outdoors all the time there is no doubt that some birds are disappearing.
Laylow likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still have a good variety. But I have notes a few hawks around.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Banned

I have hawks too, always had them, they take a few birds a year and the birds they take are not the ones that the numbers have dropped off because they are small birds and hard for the hawks to take. Something else is happening.
Doneworking153 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page