Isabella submitted testimony - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Isabella submitted testimony

Quote:
SUNDAY HUNTING PRESENTATION

GOOD EVENING MR CHAIRMAN, FELLOW COMMITTEE MEMBERS, THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO PROVIDE WRITTEN TESTIMONY THIS EVENING. AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF THE PA GAME COMMISSION LET ME OFFER YOU A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON SUNDAY HUNTING. FIRST, AS A PA GAME COMMISSIONER REPRESENTING REGION 8 OF SOUTH EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA WHERE A VERY LARGE HUNTING CONSTITUENY SUPPORTS SUNDAY HUNTING AND SECOND, AS AN AVID HUNTER WHO SUPPORTS SUNDAY HUNTING AND ELIMINATION OF THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW.

MY TESTIMONY IS MY OWN OPINION AS A SITTING COMMISSIONER ON THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, IT IS BY NO MEANS MEANT TO REPRESENT THE ENTIRE BOC.

WHAT CAN I SAY THAT ALREADY HAS NOT BEEN SAID. THERE HAS BEEN THE LEGISLATIVE BUDGET & FINANCE COMMITTEE REPORT THAT CONCLUDED AN ECONOMIC FINANCIAL WINDFALL TO BUSINESSES AND THE ECONOMY OF PENNSYLVANIA, HAD SUNDAY HUNTING BEEN ENACTED. THERE IS MUCH DEBATE ON THAT REPORT, BUT I MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON REALISTIC SCENARIOS. THIS PAST SPRING I COMMUNICATED WITH MR. SCOTT WOJTON (SEE ATTACHED EMAIL) FROM THE LEHIGH VALLEY. HE PROCEEDED TO TELL ME THAT BECAUSE PENNSYLVANIA DOES NOT HAVE SUNDAY HUNTING, HE HUNTED SPRING GOBBLER SATURDAY & SUNDAY IN NEW YORK STATE, THEN TRAVELLED TO PENNSYLVANIA THE DAY AFTER TO ALSO HUNT SPRING TURKEY. DURING THAT OUT OF STATE VISIT HE AND HIS PARTY SPENT OVER $1000.00 WHICH INCLUDED LICENSE, GAS, MEALS, LODGING & TIPS THAT WENT TO AN OUT OF STATE TREASURY. HE & FRIENDS ALSO VISITED SEVERAL OTHER STATES WHO HAD SUNDAY HUNTING, THEY ALSO SPENT SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS AND CONTRIBUTED TO AN OUT OF STATE ECONOMY AND THEIR STATE TREASURY.

THE END RESULT, DUE TO OUR ANTIQUATED BLUE LAWS NO MONEY SPENT IN PENNSYLVANIA!! NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE COMMONWEALTH!!!!!

AS A BUSINESS OWNER, I WORK 6-7 DAYS WEEKLY AVERAGING A MINIMUM OF 80 HOURS A WEEK. IN OTHER WORDS I AM ALWAYS ON CALL! MY WIFE AND I TRAVELLED TO OUR CAMP IN RURAL SCHUYLKILL COUNTY FOR A VERY WELL DESERVED REST DURING THE JULY 4TH HOLIDAY. ARRIVING AT MY CAMP AROUND 630PM SATURDAY EVENING I IMMEDIATELY CHANGED MY CLOTHES, GRABBED MY VARMIT RIFLE AND WENT TO MY NEIGHBORS FIELDS TO HUNT THE WILY SCHUYLKILL COUNTY GROUNDHOG. BEING SUCCESSFUL TWICE THAT EVENING I COULD NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT DAY TO CONTINUE THE HUNT. UNFORTUNATELY THE FOLLOWING DAY WAS SUNDAY, NO HUNTING IN PENNSYLVANIA!! DURING THAT DAY I WAS RELEGATED

TO DAILY CAMP CHORES AND FINALLY, AFTER BEING BORED MOST OF THE DAY I WAS
HITTING GOLF BALLS INTO A PRACTICE NET. DURING MY GOLF PRACTICE I SPOTTED
A GROUNDHOG IN MY FIELD. IF I AS A PROPERTY OWNER WAS ALLOWED TO HUNT ON SUNDAY, ON MY PROPERTY, THAT WEEKEND HUNTING EXPERIENCE WAS A STORY TELLER TO MY FRIENDS. UNFORTUNATELY THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW PROHIBITS SUNDAY HUNTING, TO ME AND OTHERS WHO OWN AND HUNT THEIR PROPERTY. THAT RARE OPPORTUNITY I AND OTHERS IN MY SITUATION HAD DURING THAT JULY 4TH WEEKEND (3 DAYS) WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING.

LATER ON JULY 4TH, I WAS INVITED TO A PICNIC BY THE BIGGEST FARMER AND LANDOWNER IN THE VALLEY. I WAS SITTING WITH HIM AND SIX OTHER FARMERS FROM SCHUYLKILL AND COLUMBIA COUNTIES. THEY NEW I WAS A PGC COMMISSIONER, THE TOPIC OF SUNDAY HUNTING WAS DISCUSSED. THEY DID NOT WANT ANY NEW LAW “SHOVED DOWN THEIR THROAT” AND WERE CONCERNED ABOUT PROPERTY RIGHTS. I AGREED WITH THEM, BUT I CANDIDLY ASKED EACH FARMER WOULD THEY DENY THEIR NEIGHBORS HUNTING OPPORTUNITY AND NOT ALLOW ANY HUNTING ON THEIR PROPERTY IF THE BLUE LAW WAS ELIMINATED. THERE ANSWER WAS NO! IN MY OPINION, THE FARMERS AT THAT PICNIC WERE CONCERNED WITH HUNTING THEIR OWN PROPERTY THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF THE DEER RIFLE SEASON THEN ALLOWING NEIGHBORS OR VISITORS TO HUNT AFTERWARDS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THEIR PROPERTY RIGHTS.

RECENTLY A CUSTOMER OF MINE, DR. RH OF MEDIA (DELAWARE COUNTY) VISITED MY BUSINESS, HE ASKED ME WHAT IS THE STATUS OF SUNDAY HUNTING. AFTER I UPDATED HIM, DR H. THEN RESPONDED “ WE MUST RESPECT THE LANDOWNERS WISHES, IF THEY DO NOT WANT US TO HUNT THEIR PROPERTY ON SUNDAY I RESPECT THAT. BUT DO NOT PREVENT US TO HUNT PROPERTY THAT WE OWN, LEASE OR ANY STATE GAME LAND.”

WHAT ABOUT A DIVORCED COUPLE? WHAT ABOUT A DAD WHO HUNTS, WANTS TO TAKE HIS SON OR DAUGHTER HUNTING. WITH ALL THE OTHER SPORTING OPPORTUNITES YOUNGSTERS HAVE (SATURDAY SOCCER, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL ETC..) AVAILABLE TO THEM, SUNDAY IS THE ONLY OTHER DAY THAT A DIVORCED PARENT HAS TO CONNECT WITH HIS CHILD. IMO THIS IS WHERE THE CONTROVERSY LIES.

THIS EVENING I TESTIFIED ON THE FINANCIAL BENEFITS TO WORKERS AND THE COMMONWEALTH COFFERS, ADDITIONAL HUNTING OPPORTUNITY FOR HUNTERS WITH RIGID WORK SCHEDULES, DIVORCED COUPLES WITH CHILDREN OF HUNTING AGE AND LANDOWNER PROPERTY RIGHTS. OTHER STATES WHO PASSED SUNDAY HUNTING THE PAST FEW YEARS ENCOUNTERED THE SAME ARGUMENTS WE HAVE IN PENNSYLVANIA. TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE THE “SCARE TACTICS” AND THE “SKY IS FALLING” MENTALITY USED IN THOSE STATES DID NOT MATERIALIZE!!

TO SUMMARIZE, AT LEAST 43 STATES HAVE SOME FORM OF SUNDAY HUNTING. THE LANDOWNER HAS THE FINAL SAY AS TO WHAT OCCURS ON THEIR PROPERTY. THOUSANDS OF HUNTERS USE STATE GAME LANDS, STATE FORESTS, PRIVATE PROPERTY THEY OWN OR LEASE. I SUGGEST THAT AFTER THESE HEARINGS, CALL A MEETING WITH ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS AND FORGE AN AGREEMENT THAT IS AMICABLE TO ALL.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, ELIMINATE THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW PROHIBITING SUNDAY HUNTING AND ALLOW THE PA GAME COMMISSION THE RESPONSIBILITY TO MANAGE THE SEASONS AND BAG LIMITS. THE TIME IS RIGHT TO PUT PENNSYLVANIA IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

COMMISSIONER GREGORY J. ISABELLA
PA. GAME COMMISSION
REGION 8
I got a copy of this and wanted to wait until I had an e-mail confirmation from Isabella it was OK to post on here.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
New Arrival

Re: Isabella submitted testimony

Nothing like no more centerfire rifles and shorter seasons so we can be like other states with Sunday hunting.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Hodge, thxs for posting. Isabella's summary says it all.

"TO SUMMARIZE, AT LEAST 43 STATES HAVE SOME FORM OF SUNDAY HUNTING. THE LANDOWNER HAS THE FINAL SAY AS TO WHAT OCCURS ON THEIR PROPERTY. THOUSANDS OF HUNTERS USE STATE GAME LANDS, STATE FORESTS, PRIVATE PROPERTY THEY OWN OR LEASE. I SUGGEST THAT AFTER THESE HEARINGS, CALL A MEETING WITH ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS AND FORGE AN AGREEMENT THAT IS AMICABLE TO ALL."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 PM
hdt
Banned

Other states do it. -Do we want to use the laws of other state to make our awn?

I travel to camp(bought at a time when SH laws are the same they are now) and it's not fair that I can't hunt on Sunday.
-Should have thought of that a little earlier.

I work endless hours and need Sunday to hunt. -The PGC should not have to find a way to fit your schedule.

Sh will help our ecomomy.- Even many who favor SH say this is overstated.

So much effort to give us something we have done well without for so long.

If the law is changed they should also require WRITTEN permission in the possession of any hunter on private land.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

How does he find time to be a Commissioner since he's so busy working?
Also, I guess his wife is pretty happy that he's bored when he's with her at camp.....nice guy!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I will give Isabella credit for one thing....he is like the Energizer Bunny. He doesn't seem to ever run out of energy.
I didn't see eye to eye with him on some of the issues but over-all I think he was one of the best Commissioners this area has had.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Tam
Nothing like no more centerfire rifles and shorter seasons so we can be like other states with Sunday hunting.
Ditto..

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4095
Quote:
Ditto..
Yeah, our 128 days of deer season and 18 possible deer tags here in Ohio really stinks, wish we had never passed Sunday Hunting.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperzeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4095
Quote:
Ditto..
Yeah, our 128 days of deer season and 18 possible deer tags here in Ohio really stinks, wish we had never passed Sunday Hunting.
how many licenses are sold in the buckeye ? wasnt last year a record high at 425,000 +or - ?

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
The Man

Just another issue to drive the wedge deeper and widen the split between hunters, landowners, and non-hunters. How did the 800,000 or so hunters ever find the time to hunt without a Sunday????

Genesis 27:3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page