When is enough.....enough? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
The Man

When is enough.....enough?

I understand the love and passion we have for hunting and trapping, but when is enough, enough?

It just seems the more I read, the more people want.
This isnt an anti anything thread so please dont make it into one. It almost seems to me that we have become selfish with our wants and ignored the needs.

I guess, I sometimes wonder where will it end?
24/7 hunting 365 a year for every game species on earth? with any weapon that we choose?

I sometimes long for the days of old, if for nothing more, than the spirit of what being in the outdoors and hunting has always meant to me.

Again, I am not saying that those that want more are wrong, just wondering in the end, where will this all end up?

My father worked many hours and many times 7 days a week to feed and clothe 6 kids.
Yet he still found the time within the seasons and bag limits to teach us the outdoors.
He may not have been the greatest hunter on earth (many days we came back empty handed) but he did his best and I think his love and passion for nature and his family made him find the time when time was at a premium

No matter how much time one has.....I hope those that really love this tradition of hunting and trapping and the outdoors, take some time out of their busy schedule to just pass it on

Putting Resource First
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 AM

Re: When is enough.....enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes2Fun
I guess, I sometimes wonder where will it end?
24/7 hunting 365 a year for every game species on earth? with any weapon that we choose?
If changes increase opportunities or options and the resources can withstand them, I see no reason to end that progression.

If you prefer to deer hunt with dad's 30/30 and I, my AR15, we are both deer hunters enjoying our sport how we wish to do it.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Sage

If you look at the history of the PGC and hunting in this state, it has pretty much been nothing more than a slow increase in opportunity for the past 100 years.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Sage

I don't disagree with you....it's just that times are changing. Young folks have so many options available to them these days that what was important to us is just another choice to them.

I remember 3 things that were biggies in my youth.
12 years of age to go hunting.
16 years of age to drive.
18 years of age to sneak across the border to Jersey to buy booze.

Now I see kids who are 18 and don't even have an interest in learning how to drive.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
I sometimes long for the days of old, if for nothing more, than the spirit of what being in the outdoors and hunting has always meant to me.
What being in the outdoors, hunting and the spirit of it means to me does not change with hunting regulations.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
The Man

You can not stop change and progression, but its sad how much these issues seem to be dividing hunters more and JMO we seem to be losing the core aspect of what its all about

Sig my oldest son got his license at 17....didnt seem to be in any rush. Me? I had my license a couple days after I turned 16
So I know where youre coming from with that one

Putting Resource First
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes2Fun
You can not stop change and progression, but its sad how much these issues seem to be dividing hunters more and JMO we seem to be losing the core aspect of what its all about

Sig my oldest son got his license at 17....didnt seem to be in any rush. Me? I had my license a couple days after I turned 16
So I know where youre coming from with that one
People complained alot about hunting regulations 30 years ago too. There just wasn't internet boards to come on and complain about it. I think that is why that you hear more complaints. Information travels alot faster.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Change is not what its cracked up to be. For years, tradition was "it". At some point in time, the commercialization of our sport turned that tradition into the kill. From the kill comes a game of inches. Its only going to get worse.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy
Quote:
What being in the outdoors, hunting and the spirit of it means to me does not change with hunting regulations.
I agree Peppy. I sometimes get caught up in some debates on here, but it doesn't change how I hunt and what makes it enjoyable. I think alot of people enjoy the "debate" on here as it gives them something to do and provides some entertainment. Lord knows there isn't any good TV shows anymore.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

for me personally.....
i work 7 days a week till hunting season gets here.
i take a few of my v-days to hunt bow season alone.
come gun season ...it's all about hunting with my 4 sons, one who is (17) the rest older and have their own families and the neighbors boy(14).his parents dont hunt.he wants to hunt and i was willing to take him.this is pretty much OUR time together.sunday hunting may give us a few more hours together...but it will be hours we talk about for years to come.im not asking for a everything...just a few more hours......

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page