And this guy's a hunter? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Sage

And this guy's a hunter?

Sunday hunting issue to be discussed this week
State reps to meet in East Allen on Thursday for hearing

Gary Blockus, Allentown Morning Call Sept. 13, 2011

When I came out against the proposal to remove the ban on Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania, I got lambasted in the chat rooms and bulletin boards on a variety of hunting websites, and even from a few outdoors writers across the state who claimed I'm "giving the 'anti's' ammunition."

The anti-hunting community already has enough ammunition, as does the pro-hunting community and the Second Amendment rights community.

A bill is in the works in the state House that would give the Pennsylvania Game Commission the authority to regulate Sunday hunting, which is actually where that power belongs. The Legislature currently has authority on Sunday hunting.

The game commission manages hunting in Pennsylvania. Hunting is a game management tool, one that has proven to be the most effective and efficient when it comes to bringing animal numbers into balance with the health and availability of habitat.

The state House Game and Fisheries Committee is holding its second public hearing on the Sunday hunting issue. It will take place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at East Allen Township Municipal Building on 5344 Nor-Bath Boulevard in Northampton, and will be carried live online at http://www.repevans.com beginning at 6:25 p.m.

Rep. John Evans (R-Erie/Crawford), Ed Staback (D-Wayne/Lackawanna) and Marcia Hahn (R-Northampton) and other members of the committee will be on hand to listen to testimony from various stakeholder organizations. While the meeting is public, testimony from the general public will not be taken.

Depending on what groups offer testimony, this could be very interesting. On one hand, hunting organizations such as National Wild Turkey Federation and Quality Deer Management are in favor of eliminating the arcane ban on Sunday hunting. Groups such as Valley Mountain Bikers and the Allentown Hiking Club are a little more leery.

The game commission manages more than 1.4 million acres of land in Pennsylvania that we refer to as State Game Lands, which are managed primarily as wildlife habitat. As far as I'm concerned, the game commission can allow Sunday hunting on the state game lands.

My major area of concern is the potential for hunter-outdoors enthusiast conflict, and that potential is already great in border areas such as the Lehigh County-owned Trexler Nature Preserve and the adjoining State Game Lands 205. Heck, it's even great on SGL 205 where a man was walking his dog not hunting right below where my son and I were archery hunting last fall.

People hike, bird watch, mountain bike, horseback ride and picnic in the Trexler Nature Preserve. They also are allowed to archery hunt for deer. While arrows and bolts are not bullets, they still accomplish the same deer-hunting mission, which is to kill deer. Archery hunting's dirty little secret is that deer don't often just drop and die from an arrow. In fact, much of the literature suggests archers who have shot at a deer that did not fall down immediately should take at least 30 minutes or so to check the spot where they shot, and much longer than that to begin tracking the deer.

Say that Sunday hunting goes through. Lehigh County can choose to close Trexler Nature Preserve to Sunday hunting. The problem then becomes the boundary with SGL 205. People can legally hunt there on the border with TNP. Say you're a family out on a hike or bike ride on the perimeter trail on a Sunday and a bleating deer comes staggering through with blood splattered on its sides from where the arrow entered and exited. If you're a hunting family, that doesn't faze you. If you're a non-hunting family, that's a pretty scarring scene. Imagine being the parent of a child witnessing that, and then seeing the hunter successfully track the deer and claim it while your child pleads with you to save the deer.

In the game commission's Wildlife Management Unit 5C, which includes the vast majority of Lehigh County, archery season opens Saturday and does not close until Jan. 28, 2012. During a period when nature is at its most brilliant and beautiful and leaves are turning all kinds of breathtaking colors as autumn gives way to winter, when birds are most visible due to fall migration, Sunday hunting will provide a higher potential for hunter/non-hunter conflict.

But and here's the big but we don't know what the game commission plans on doing with Sunday hunting. Will it just be utilized as special Sunday youth hunts? Will it be for all hunting, just small game hunting, all deer hunting or simply firearms deer hunting?

As one archery hunter told me on Sunday, "If they allow hunting on Sunday, I'll feel obligated to go out there and hunt."

That's fine, but let's think about addressing the potential conflicts before they become reality, especially in special regulations areas like WMU 5C, where the deer season is 19 weeks long.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Re: And this guy's a hunter?

Not only does this guy seem to think bowhunting is awful, he seems to think the only day where a blood spattered deer might come in contact with a chils is on a Sunday.

How many bowhunters in the 'burbs recover deer from backyards, 6 days a week.

This guy is a poor example of an outdoor writer!

post #3 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
dce
Sage

I wonder if that 6 year old child from a non-hunting family would have to recieve counciling after seeing a deer get hit by a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
The Man

I agree with you Dutch, not a good article at all. I think
it's a slippery slope with the argument he's using against
sunday archery hunting on state lands. With that argument
anti's could say that can happen on any day of the week
therefore hunting shouldn't be allowed there at all.

The thing is it's hunters money that pay for the sgl's so
non hunters shouldn't really be allowed on them. My honest
opinion is IF they choose to go on state lands where they
know hunting is permitted than they have to accept the fact
that they may hear or see something they wish they didn't.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #5 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Ya know, MANY bowhunters hunt the 'burbs. Right up close to homes. They do provide a service. Some homeowners beg for bowhunters.

So many deer end up in yards and such, yet, up until now, it hasn't bothered Blockus?

Instead, to spread his opinion, he makes hunters look like heathens.

post #6 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM

Multi-use lands are just that, multiple use lands. I talk with people every fall, both hunters and non-hunters, that have a problem with the other one being there. One day an archery hunter is P-O'd because someone scared deer off by walking their dog down a trail. The next day someone is P-O'd because they saw a hunter while walking their dog and now think their dog will get shot. Its always the same answer too- "They're obeying the law, recreating on a multiple use land. Outdoor recreation on public lands is a shared experience, we all have to get along".

OHWM
Shoot Safe, Shoot Often
post #7 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:06 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I wonder if that 6 year old child from a non-hunting family would have to recieve counciling after seeing a deer get hit by a car.
I agree DCE. It's a dirty little secret of people that drive cars, that deer don't always just fall and die after getting hit by a vehicle.
post #8 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Sage

Anyone that has hunted and killed deer, knows that they don't always drop in their tracks when shot. Regardless of what sort of "weapon" has been used.

I suppose the writer had to bring that up, because only archery hunting is allowed in such areas as the examples he used and he apparently has reservations about archery hunting for deer, near non-hunters?

For someone that calls himself an outdoor writer, yet feels compelled to point out that a child might be traumatized by the sight of a wounded deer, is pretty darn low in my opinion?

I've seen deer that were shot multiple times with rifles, stumble onto someone's lawn and die. In one case, it was a gal who lived down the road from camp and is originally from LI, NY.

Not only did a dead deer out front not cause her much concern, that the local boys often shot deer close to her house, didn't bother her much either.

She told me once that they must know what they're doing, because they haven't hit the house or my truck once, yet?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I agree DCE. It's a dirty little secret of people that drive cars, that deer don't always just fall and die after getting hit by a vehicle.
Agree. And lets just hope that the 6 year old isn't hurt in a deer/vehicle collision where he not only needs counselling because his mother died in the accident when the deer when through the windshield, he needs physical therapy because he was seriously injured.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #10 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM

I sent Gary a rather lengthy email after his first ill thought out editorial against HB1760. It does seem that he has softened his position by now saying regulatory authority should be in the hands of the PGC.

Unfortunately, he continues to have difficulty portraying hunting and hunters in a positive light.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page