Rifles vs. Shotguns and Muzzleloaders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Rifles vs. Shotguns and Muzzleloaders

In many states such as Illinois, Iowa, areas of MD and VA and I'm sure there are others I am unaware of they have taken away the use of Rifles and only allow the use of Shotguns and Muzzleloaders. I am assuming that the reason was related to safety. I could be wrong. Could someone shed some light on this and provide some data regarding the effects of such rules relating to hunter and non-hunter accidents and injuries.

Part 2 of My Post is a question directed only at the Pro Sunday Hunting bunch.

Would you give up your right to hunt with a rifle during deer season in order to get Sunday Hunting passed as it relates to safety and the safety concerns of the non-hunters who often state safety as a major concern against Sunday Hunting.

I would give up my right to rifle hunt in order to gain sundays as a legal hunting day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Re: Rifles vs. Shotguns and Muzzleloaders

i wish PA would take away rifles...i could care less if we ever get sunday hunting and rifles have nothing to do with sunday hunting
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Part of the Community

I would love to see PA go to shotgun only. Maybe we could see some Ohio size bucks then. It sure would give a lot of bucks a chance to grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

In the areas I hunt it does not make a difference if i use a rifle or not. Most of the deer i have harvested are well within bow range. I do hunt both special reg areas and rifle areas of the state. Ill tell you what out to 150 yards my muzzle loader shoots as tight of a group as any of my rifles. I really doubt that making PA a shotgun/muzzleloader only state would help grow bigger deer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Sage

I've killed deer in PA from about 3' out beyond 450 yards, but the day they ban rifles here, is the day I give it up.

While I enjoy all sorts of deer hunting, nothing comes close to spending time in the deer woods with some of my antique deer rifles.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
but the day they ban rifles here, is the day I give it up.
wow
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHunter67
In many states such as Illinois, Iowa, areas of MD and VA and I'm sure there are others I am unaware of they have taken away the use of Rifles and only allow the use of Shotguns and Muzzleloaders. I am assuming that the reason was related to safety. I could be wrong. Could someone shed some light on this and provide some data regarding the effects of such rules relating to hunter and non-hunter accidents and injuries.

Part 2 of My Post is a question directed only at the Pro Sunday Hunting bunch.

Would you give up your right to hunt with a rifle during deer season in order to get Sunday Hunting passed as it relates to safety and the safety concerns of the non-hunters who often state safety as a major concern against Sunday Hunting.

I would give up my right to rifle hunt in order to gain sundays as a legal hunting day.
You are wrong. There is actually a study that prooves rifles are SAFER in fact; than shotguns.

Full report: http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/reports/2007/168.PDF

Report highlights: http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/reports/2007/168fs.PDF

But I'm going to guess you already knew that since the topic of your thread includes muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles in the title, and that was the focus of this report.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Gal i think that study is a bunch of fluff...there is no real evidence. In my opinion, rifles are banned because of developed areas where u cant have guys slinging bullets a mile with houses everywhere. Not because they fly differently after ricocheting

I still think that rifles are more dangerous and this chart is enough to prove that. JMO
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESU.archer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
but the day they ban rifles here, is the day I give it up.
wow

Flip it around.

Say they outlaw archery hunting.

Some here would be devastated. Some would hang it up, others would carry on.

For some, irrespective of other choices of weapons exists or not, the rifle is their primary hunting weapon. Take it away and you lose hunters. Individual choice, tradition and passion exist for all hunters.

Myself, I just started archery hunting. Yet for me to take a deer with a bow - it will look like Bullwinkle. My buck tag will be reserved for rifle season.

I am primarily a rifle hunter. I will ensure that my passion is met with proper planning on my part. Just like this year, I have a DMAP tag for the area I hunt deer in. Last year, I killed my buck just before 7AM Monday. Except for trying to move deer by walking around - I was done till the following Saturday. This year I head for the state forest and the hunt for a doe. Most likely with the flintlock, just to have fun doing it.

My passion.

I do find it odd that the suggestion even be made to remove rifles. You mentioned bigger bucks. For sure, rifles are the most effective implement for killing deer.

Given the accident rate for hunters, falling out of a tree stand tops most other hunting related incidents. Archers mostly. What say you we outlaw tree stands in the name of safety? Same difference or reasoning your using.

Everyone has an opinion, but I take great exception to this one.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

New York recently changed shotgun to rifle for most land west of I-81. It was shotgun for years and since the change I haven't heard of any safety issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page