Fish kill on the Mon river. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to TributeArcher
Fish kill on the Mon river.

While at a 5k race today,the horrible smell of rotten fish filled the air. The release at Newell Chemical def got into the water and harmed the fish. Hundreds of fish and turtles were belly up. If this was the natural gas industry, this would have have made CNN, but since its another industry,little/hardly any attention was brought to it. Wonder what the CACP for this major fish kill will be? Prolly bout 7500 dollars and a warning. What a joke....

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals."
-Charles Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Re: Fish kill on the Mon river.

Shame on them. I hope ther is an investigation and criminal charges are brought if appropriate.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

I thought I read they were reporting less than 100 fish that were killed.... or was that the chem spill on the Allegheny that happened today? What a shame these companies are getting away with this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Sage

I find it remarkable that both of these spills happened the week of the American Fisheries Society Confrence where many many of the state's fisheries biologists are right now- in Washington State!

I dont think it was intentional- so dont anyone take it that way-

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to TributeArcher

The spill originated in newell and then was shipped to a potw in allegheny co. The alchohol thus made quick work of the"bugs" in that potw and a direct discharge thus killed 100 or so fish down there. However, the original spill killed WAY more then 100. Snapping turtles 30+ pounds were belly up. Once againdouble standards for two seperate industries.

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals."
-Charles Darwin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TributeArcher
The spill originated in newell and then was shipped to a potw in allegheny co. The alchohol thus made quick work of the"bugs" in that potw and a direct discharge thus killed 100 or so fish down there. However, the original spill killed WAY more then 100. Snapping turtles 30+ pounds were belly up. Once againdouble standards for two seperate industries.
I wouldn't say its a double standard yet. The fact is that this company has probably been around a while as has most other industrial companies that have had spills resulting in fish kills in the Three Rivers system. The frequency of these kills is pretty low. However a new industry appears and is essentially just starting out and has had a number of pollution events already despite having a small number of locations relative to the number that its supporters are banking on in the future. The laws of probability seem to lean toward more pollution events from the new industry if it continues to grow with the amount of regulation that it currently has.

Another thing to consider is that Monongahela isn't exactly a high quality or pristine river whereas some of the other waters that have been affected by this new industry has resulted in some pretty serious pollution events in waters that are relatively high quality. Simply put, degradation of a high quality waters with a few rare or endangered species is bigger news than degradation of a water that already has had a number of pollution issues for years and has few rare or endangered species living in it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Sage

Actually Wiz, we've documented several rare and endangereds in or near that pool in the last 4 years.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Wiz

Glad to hear it. I've heard that more stuff is showing up in the 3 rivers system that was not present 10-15 years ago. Compared to many waters in North America the Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela have actually been recovering pretty well. Its a shame that it takes 30 or more years for some of these species to start showing up again and then one spill wipes out all of that progress.

In general, I would think that a spill on the Mon would likely receive much less attention than a spill in the upper Allegheny or even a few trout streams that may be destinations for many anglers. Turtle Creek is one that comes to mind that was of a lot of interest to locals when I worked up that way. A small fish kill in Turtle Creek seemed to generate quite a bit of news coverage 10 years ago even though it seemed to happen pretty frequently. I'm sure the Mon has some people that really love it, but I wonder if there are as many attached to this river as there are interested parties in less degraded waters.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage

Were at the top of the chart for tmdl (total max daily load) stuff; but its still showing much more promise than it had when I was a kid. I think we only had 2 species of fish in the early 60s.

It has taken years and years. Thats for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page