Foresters, Fishermen and Farmers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Foresters, Fishermen and Farmers

Hey all, I'm a reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News. I cover outdoor and rural issues for the newspapers but I've also written about suicide often. Unfortunately it's a topic I know all too well. September is Suicide Prevention Month and I'm trying to write about a CDC report that found that fishermen, farmers, and foresters have the highest suicide rates of any profession.

I know I've dealt with all three in my profession. I'm asking if anyone who knows someone lost to suicide, their family, or perhaps a person who suffers from depression and works in those fields. I'm not asking for anyone's contact information, but would appreciate if you could give that person my contact info.

If not, I understand. It's a difficult subject.

Jason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage

j"nark", yeah this is a trustworthy post. I believe this was posted here a while back and was deleted.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 PM

I got nothing but thank you for trying to shed light on important issues. Some of us still value journalism and the First Amendment. Excuse the curmudgeons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Sage

That op is not journalism, I am not sure what it is but journalism it is not! Would you send information regarding someone who claims to be a reporter, but you don't know who he is, to a person whose loved one committed suicide so that person can contact the alleged reporter? I sure would not point anyone in the direction of an unknown . Additionally the screen name "nark" sure does not embody any kind of confidence for a legitimate reporter, if there is such a thing anymore. With all that is going on today I do not trust an anonymous individual claiming to be writing about one thing when it is entirely possible he is going to write an anti gun article.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 09-06-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:11 PM
The Man

John,

This is not to defend or oppose the OP, but he is using his real name (or at least his pen name) as an HPA user name. He does in fact write for the outlets he purports to. Here is a link to one of his articles he linked here on HPA a while back. IMO, it was informative and fair. Read it if you like and judge for yourself.

Venomous passion: Pennsylvania?s snake hunters head to the hills
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Ya, I think he IS legit. But, I'm trying to wrap my head around "fishermen" and suicide ? I mean unless that is "professional fishermen". In other words, commercial fishermen or crabbers, that make their living doing so, like those guys on "Deadliest Catch".

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage

I could be wrong about the motive, the screen name was suspicious to me, who knew it was real, I don't read Philly papers . I am suspicious of most reporters's motives today.
bad primer likes this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yes, my name is Jason Nark. It used to be Narkiewicz but someone changed it a long time ago. My family were all coal miners in Shamokin/Minersville area. I've worked for the papers since 2008. Not sure how else I need to authenticate myself.

I couldn't have been more clear about my intentions in the post. I didn't make these things up. They are statistics from the Center for Disease Control. It's Suicide Prevention Month and it's a subject that's very personal to me. Since I cover "rural" issues, I plan to cover both of these subjects with one story.

I wrote this story about guns earlier this year.

High school rifle teams take aim at scholarships, Olympics | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Ya, I think he IS legit. But, I'm trying to wrap my head around "fishermen" and suicide ? I mean unless that is "professional fishermen". In other words, commercial fishermen or crabbers, that make their living doing so, like those guys on "Deadliest Catch".
Yes, they are referring to commercial fisherman, not those that wet a line for recreation. The statistics are from professions at high risk.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes, commercial fishermen, because recreational fisherman is not an occupation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page