NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 2A, 2B
Posts: 21,381
Back To Top
NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

[size:11pt][/size]Hunting/Conservation
The Truth About Sunday Hunting: Why Hunters Shouldn`t Be Treated as Second-Class Citizens

In the early days of America, so-called blue laws restricted many activities on Sunday. In recent years, however, state governments have recognized that the people`s right to choose for themselves what they do, or don`t do, on Sunday is more consistent with America`s founding principals. Present day bans on Sunday hunting are the last holdouts of these blue laws, and hunters are questioning why they are being treated differently from their fellow citizens.


Map:
http://www.nraila.org/images/sundayhunting.jpg

The majority of hunters will agree that the biggest obstacle to hunting, and the biggest obstacle to recruiting new hunters, is lack of access and opportunity to hunt. By restricting Sunday hunting, states are not only limiting opportunities for today`s hunters but are making it harder to recruit new hunters to carry on our proud heritage. Anti-hunting groups understand this, that`s why they oppose lifting Sunday hunting bans--they don`t want a new generation of hunters to enter the field. This opposition to Sunday hunting is in fact opposition to the future of hunting itself.

Restrictions on Sunday hunting treat hunters as second-class citizens. Other outdoor activities are allowed on Sunday, including fishing, hiking and golf. By restricting hunting and not other activities, state governments are sending a not so subtle message to hunters and non-hunters alike that there is something wrong with hunting, that it isn`t as legitimate an activity. This message ignores the fact that hunters contribute billions of dollars to the benefit of wildlife, both through license fees and excise taxes paid on firearms and ammunition.

There are compelling reasons why Sunday hunting should be allowed:

Sunday hunting has no detrimental effect on wildlife populations. The 43 states that allow some form of Sunday hunting have healthy wildlife populations in those areas that can sustain them. In fact the states with the most abundant game populations allow Sunday hunting. Those states that have recently removed prohibitions on Sunday hunting have not seen a negative impact on game populations. Allowing Sunday hunting will give state wildlife agencies more flexibility in managing populations. The extra day a week for hunting will give the agencies the ability to increase hunting in areas of overpopulation by encouraging hunters to go afield.

The most common reason that hunters stop hunting is lack of hunting opportunity. Hunting opportunities are largely decided by two factors: accessible land and available time. Since most hunters work Monday through Friday, a ban on Sunday hunting cuts their available hunting time in half.
Sunday hunting is an excellent way to recruit new hunters.

Many young people have school or athletic obligations on Saturday. Allowing Sunday hunting means that parents can spend time hunting with their son or daughter, passing on a heritage that is so important to America. With the myriad of activities that compete for the attention of young people today, a restriction on Sunday hunting means many of them never take up the sport.

Sunday hunting will bring an economic benefit to many rural areas. Every day that hunters are in the field, they spend money on gas, food, lodging and the dozens of other incidentals that go along with a day`s hunt. The ripple effect of this spending can have a major impact on a rural town or county.

Out-of-state license revenue can grow as a result of Sunday hunting. Few hunters will take extended hunting trips to a state that won`t let them hunt one day of the week. These out-of-state hunters pay higher license fees that benefit the game department and also spend even more money on incidentals than in-state hunters.

Current Sunday hunting bans:

Currently seven states entirely prohibit hunting on Sunday for wild game; they are Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. All of these states have considered legislation to lift the bans in recent years. Repealing the Sunday hunting bans has been actively supported by the wildlife agencies in Maine and New Jersey.

Four states allow limited Sunday hunting: Maryland allows hunting on two Sundays during deer season; South Carolina allows Sunday hunting on private land only; North Carolina allows Sunday hunting on some federal installations; in 2001 West Virginia enacted legislation that allows Sunday hunting on private land, but each county can hold a referendum to ban Sunday hunting; currently 14 counties allow it.

Recently several states have recognized the folly of Sunday hunting bans:

New York: In 1996 New York opened Sunday hunting on three Sundays during deer season. Within five years the law was changed to allow all Sunday hunting, except on specifically designated lands.

Ohio: In 1998 Ohio passed a bill allowing a test of Sunday hunting on public lands for a period of three years. In 2002 the legislature made Sunday hunting permanent without opposition from groups that had concerns when the test began. The state wildlife agency supported the change.

Michigan: Sunday hunting was banned on private land in certain counties, but in 2003, all Sunday hunting closures were repealed. The bill was supported by the state wildlife agency.

None of these states have experienced the horror stories forecast by opponents of hunting. The states continue to have healthy wildlife populations. Hunters continue to behave in a responsible and safe manner. Church attendance remains unchanged. Landowner-hunter conflicts have not increased. In sum, Sunday hunting has had nothing but a beneficial impact on these states and the future of hunting in them.



Pennsylvania should end archaic ban on Sunday hunting


Sunday was once a quieter day. There was no youth soccer playing, no department store shopping, restaurant dining or alcohol buying. All that has changed. Now kids play sports from morning to night on Sunday, stores advertise big sales that day, restaurants serve brunches, and liquor and wine are available in some places. Despite it becoming another busy day for many Pennsylvanians, there is still a ban on hunting on Sundays.

http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/i...vania_has.html

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Guest3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM
The Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pitman
Posts: 7,780
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalThatFishes
The most common reason that hunters stop hunting is lack of hunting opportunity.
Actually it's the lack of opportunity while hunting, I'd say. The need for instant gratification..Don't know if that's your quote Gal!
Big Ken is offline  
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
pahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: York,PA
Posts: 2,998
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
Sunday hunting has no detrimental effect on wildlife populations. The 43 states that allow some form of Sunday hunting have healthy wildlife populations in those areas that can sustain them. In fact the states with the most abundant game populations allow Sunday hunting. Those states that have recently removed prohibitions on Sunday hunting have not seen a negative impact on game populations. Allowing Sunday hunting will give state wildlife agencies more flexibility in managing populations. The extra day a week for hunting will give the agencies the ability to increase hunting in areas of overpopulation by encouraging hunters to go afield.
Though I will agree sunday hunting has no detrimental effect on wildlife, I believe the other part of this paragraph to be opinion, not fact. The PGC will not gain management opportunities in overpopulation areas. Areas of overpopulation in this state are the result of private property not open to hunting period. Adding one more day will not solve this dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
The most common reason that hunters stop hunting is lack of hunting opportunity. Hunting opportunities are largely decided by two factors: accessible land and available time. Since most hunters work Monday through Friday, a ban on Sunday hunting cuts their available hunting time in half.
This again I believe to be false. The biggest reason hunters stop hunting is not land access or time, but game numbers. For years one of the biggest gripes on this board alone has been hunters not seeing game. That is inarguable. Thank herd reduction for that.

We have alot of huntable land in PA, public and private. Though I do believe passing HB 1760 will eliminate some of the private. With herd reduction, more and more posted signs have appeared year after year. HB 1760 will ensure more of the same. Though private land access is dwindling, the state continues to buy new tracts. There has been, and always will be, ample opportunity for hunters to access huntable areas.

Time is something everyone is short of. But just as in the "old days", people will make time for their hobby's. My father did it, your father did it, everyone's father did it. They had priorities. They made time. Employers still offer vacation, most times more than they ever have. You still have sick days. One more day isnt going to prioritize your life. That's an individuals job. We all know how that goes though, guys if you do find an extra day with nothing to do, your wife will make sure she your time is well filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
Sunday hunting is an excellent way to recruit new hunters. Many young people have school or athletic obligations on Saturday. Allowing Sunday hunting means that parents can spend time hunting with their son or daughter, passing on a heritage that is so important to America. With the myriad of activities that compete for the attention of young people today, a restriction on Sunday hunting means many of them never take up the sport.
Sunday hunting will not boost new recruits. We've been losing hunters for years. Society has changed. Huntable populations are down. PGC PR skills are in the tank, and have been for a long time. Recruiting new hunters has nothing to do with time, and everything to do with how people spend their leisure time. It's hard to compete with other activities, and I wish I had the answer. Here in south central PA, liberal media such as channel 8 doesn't help. When was the last time you saw anything good hunting related on a local station. I say it all when down hill when the last Call of the Outdoors aired Seriously, theres alot of competition out there for hunting to overcome, and the PGC needs to step up their game if they are to truly compete. Sunday hunting isnt where its at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
Sunday hunting will bring an economic benefit to many rural areas. Every day that hunters are in the field, they spend money on gas, food, lodging and the dozens of other incidentals that go along with a day`s hunt. The ripple effect of this spending can have a major impact on a rural town or county.
Again, false. Lets see numbers? Who's got em? I want a break down. Too much of this talk and not enough proof. Most hunters I knew have sold camps long ago, and no longer "make the trip north". Id be willing to bet the majority hunt within a half hour of home. Especially if hunting sunday becomes reality because of work monday morning. If thats the case, gas, food, etc...would all be spent whether John Doe is hunting, hiking, running to Lowes, Walmart...you get the picture. I need numbers, broken down, and so far i've seen nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
Out-of-state license revenue can grow as a result of Sunday hunting. Few hunters will take extended hunting trips to a state that won`t let them hunt one day of the week. These out-of-state hunters pay higher license fees that benefit the game department and also spend even more money on incidentals than in-state hunters
I highly doubt sunday hunting will encourage more non residents to hunt PA. IMO, game numbers and quality are much more important to a non resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA
Current Sunday hunting bans:

Currently seven states entirely prohibit hunting on Sunday for wild game; they are Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey and Connecticut. All of these states have considered legislation to lift the bans in recent years. Repealing the Sunday hunting bans has been actively supported by the wildlife agencies in Maine and New Jersey.
An outright lie adding PA to that list. You can hunt in PA on sundays. There is no escaping that.
pahick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage
 
DennyF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cumberland County 5A
Posts: 25,074
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Quote:
Currently seven states entirely prohibit hunting on Sunday for wild game..
The quote says "wild game". How many people do you know, who consider crows, 'yotes and foxes as " wild game"?

Crows are considered to be pests, the other two are predators. Wild game is generally shot to be eaten; Predators/pests are killed either for their fur, or to eliminate them.

If we're gonna pick nits, it's a game anyone can play.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
DennyF is offline  
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 2A, 2B
Posts: 21,381
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalThatFishes
The most common reason that hunters stop hunting is lack of hunting opportunity.
Actually it's the lack of opportunity while hunting, I'd say. The need for instant gratification..Don't know if that's your quote Gal!
Not my quote. That was the NRA's news release.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Guest3 is offline  
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage
 
DennyF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cumberland County 5A
Posts: 25,074
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

My opinion, this entire argument has gotten beyond silly.

Other than those opposed for personal or religious reasons, the single biggest reason for opposition (revealed or not), seems to be from those ticked off about "not enough deer"?

Factual representations are made about the origins of "no Sunday hunting" bans, once common in all or most states.

Examples are given, of how dropping that ban has worked in many other states, yet we see the same arguments against SH in PA, as was experienced in each of those other states, prior to dropping the SH bans.

Financial benefits? Maybe? There must be some evidence of it having happened elsewhere, or advocates of additional SH wouldn't have brought it up?

Non-Resident impact? Hard to say, but if NRs who do or once did, buy a PA license and already have more SH in their home states, might be more inclined to buy a PA/NR license?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
DennyF is offline  
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Muab Dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: S Central PA 5A
Posts: 2,577
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

"Other than those opposed for personal or religious reasons, the single biggest reason for opposition (revealed or not), seems to be from those ticked off about "not enough deer"?"


Respectfully, I would have to say that that's pure conjecture on your part and simply going back to a very tired argument that has been beaten into the ground. There is much more to the opposition of additional seasons added on Sundays here in PA then simply "not enough deer". You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
Muab Dib is offline  
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SC PA
Posts: 1,246
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Gal posted "The majority of hunters will agree that the biggest obstacle to hunting, and the biggest obstacle to recruiting new hunters, is lack of access and opportunity to hunt."

I have a voice and can/will speak for myself, such statements as the one above serve no viable purpose other than anger folks and fuel the opposition.

I say the lack of desire and ambition is the main reason for the decline in the number of the currently active Hunters, a by-product of modern Society. Our sport is dying, and all these active front page in the News lame attempts to save it has and will hasten it's death.

Out of sight and out of the Anti's minds would of been a better approach, the gate was opened and now the Bull is angry...good luck on gettin' it shut!!

Ripnmax is offline  
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,258
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Of course lack of time has hunters numbers declining. Most people I know that are lucky enough to have a job right now are working more hours and days because of companies not hiring. Two friends of mine didn't even buy a license this year because the only day they have off is on a Sunday .
fishkrane is offline  
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa.--2A
Posts: 5,693
Back To Top
Re: NRA Weighs in on Sunday Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnmax
Gal posted "The majority of hunters will agree that the biggest obstacle to hunting, and the biggest obstacle to recruiting new hunters, is lack of access and opportunity to hunt."

I have a voice and can/will speak for myself, such statements as the one above serve no viable purpose other than anger folks and fuel the opposition.

I say the lack of desire and ambition is the main reason for the decline in the number of the currently active Hunters, a by-product of modern Society. Our sport is dying, and all these active front page in the News lame attempts to save it has and will hasten it's death.

Out of sight and out of the Anti's minds would of been a better approach, the gate was opened and now the Bull is angry...good luck on gettin' it shut!!
If you can't shut the gate then just "Shoot the Bull"

Genesis 27:3
TBO2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome