Economic Impact -Sunday Hunting to be re-examined. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Economic Impact -Sunday Hunting to be re-examined.

Legislative Budget and Finance Committee

8/12/11, 1:15 p.m., 400 Finance Building

By Kimberly Hess, PLS

The committee held a conference call with two officers to discuss upcoming projects.

Chairman John Pippy (R-Allegheny) and Secretary Bob Godshall (R-Montgomery) were in attendance.

Executive Director Phil Durgin said the officers need to approve a motion for the committee to pursue

a contract relating to Sunday hunting and to approve three resolutions that passed the legislature this spring.

The first issue for the officers to address, Durgin explained, is the need to approve the committee to solicit

a contract relating to a study on the economic impact of allowing hunting on Sundays. It was noted this is

pursuant to a resolution offered by Rep. Ed. Staback (D-Lackawanna). Durgin said the committee contracted

a similar study in 2005 to Southwick Associates and he recommended the committee ask Southwick to do a

follow up, at a maximum cost of $5,000. He noted past issues with itemizing expenses and indicated this

will be addressed. Chairman Pippy made such a motion and the two officers agreed.

Rep. Godshall referred to data he has seen, which indicates as many as 5,300 jobs could be created due to the

authorization of Sunday hunting, and questioned the accuracy of such estimates. Sen. Pippy suggested Rep.

Godshall work with Durgin to ensure his concerns are addressed as the study moves forward.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Sage

Re: Economic Impact -Sunday Hunting to be re-examined.

Oh sheesh, a waste of money. The economic impact should not even be considered.

Is it right to have SH or not. Case closed.

Should a Blue Law still keep hunters from pursuing their sport on a Sunday. No.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Ya think? Seems even farm bureau policy says they have a strong belief in land owner rights. Then two breaths later, they oppose them.

Wonder whose policy statement this might be?

America’s unparalleled progress is based on freedom and dignity of the individual, sustained by basic moral and religious concepts.

Economic progress, cultural advancement, ethical and religious principles flourish best where people are free, responsible individuals.

Individual freedom and opportunity must not be sacrificed in a quest for guaranteed security.

We believe in government by legislative and constitutional law, impartially administered, without special privilege.

We believe in the representative form of government – in a republic – as provided in our Constitution; in limitations on government power; in maintenance of equal opportunity; in the right of each individual to freedom of worship and in freedom of speech, press and peaceful assembly.

Individuals have a moral responsibility to help preserve freedom for future generations by participating in public affairs and by helping to elect candidates who share their fundamental beliefs and principles.

People have the right and the responsibility to speak for themselves individually or through organizations of their choice without coercion or government intervention.

Property rights are among the human rights essential to the preservation of individual freedom.

We believe in the right of every person to choose an occupation; to be rewarded according to his/her contribution to society; to save, invest or spend; and to convey his/her property to heirs. Each person has the responsibility to meet financial obligations incurred.

We believe that legislation and regulations favorable to all sectors of agriculture should be aggressively developed in cooperation with allied groups possessing common goals.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are probably right Dutch, the economic impact should not be a consideration on Sunday.. as has been stated by many on this forum over the last several years it should be based on wildlife management considerations by the PGC.

However, contracting for this study is just one more example of how ridiculous our legislative process has become in this country.. Anybody with a lick of sense can see without a study that adding another day of sales to the sporting goods stores, gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. to support the hunters will add revenue and jobs to these businesses and increased tax revenue to the state..

What is there to study??

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #5 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Heck ya, the stimulus package added jobs too, right?

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
post #6 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator

The economic impact has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not sunday hunting is detrimental to wildlife. The armchair economists who argue against sunday hunting because they dont believe the numbers that have been thrown around arent even arguing a reason that proves that sh should not begin.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just saying that "adding Sunday Hunting will create jobs" is not only a bunch of garbage, but it shouldn't even be used in the Sunday Hunting discussion.

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
post #8 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM
The Man

It's just another bullet point used in pro-Sunday editorials in an attempt to swing public opinion toward the cause..A "page filler", nothing more.
post #9 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
It's just another bullet point used in pro-Sunday editorials in an attempt to swing public opinion toward the cause..A "page filler", nothing more.
I agree,
Sunday hunting generally saves me money. If I go to camp I burn the same amount of fuel be it for 1 day or 2. As for food I have to haul my own so one could add on 3 eggs, a can of potatos for breakfast, and maybe an extra sandwich or two for lunch Sunday.

If I spend the day coyote hunting up on the Blue Mtn....it's generally coffee & a bagel on the way and I eat when I get home. Costs me an extra few gallons of fuel is about it.

It's when I don't hunt it gets expensive....Sunday morning breakfast at the diner.....couple cups of D&D coffee till lunch.....usually a hoagie to watch Sunday afternoon TV....then order up a pizza, beer and some chicken wings for the evening games. Gets even more expensive if I invite buddies over to watch the game with snacks and such. All of which I wouldn't do because I'd be up early...nap most of the day....and in bed early from being exhausted.

Maybe the mantra should be..."Hunt Sunday and save money"

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #10 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:07 PM

There is also people like me though Sigpro that if Sunday Hunting was legalized then I would travel to hunt some species that I don't hunt now. For example I don't hunt snowshoe hare in PA because I only have one day to hunt. For me it is not worth the drive that far north for one day of hunting. If I could hunt Saturday and Sunday, then I would go. I would spend more money going up there than rabbit hunting one day down here. I would also probably go bear hunting too which would add license revenue to the PGC. I don't think there would be any economic impact really from residents of PA since we are likely spending our money here somewhere anyway. I would guess that we would probably get some more non-resident hunters since they would be able to hunt two days on the weekend.

Like Dutch said the economic impact should have no bearing on approving Sunday Hunting. I honestly don't care if Sunday hunting increases or decreases revenue. I just don't agree that we should be following the old blue laws and feel the PGC should have control.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page