1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcbrotz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Local beef question.........

A question for anyone who might raise, process or sell their own beef;
I live alone but always wanted to buy locally grown beef and recently
purchased a quarter of a beef from a local, third generation farmer who reputedly
sells a lot of it, who had come recommended by a neighbor.

It was packaged very nicely with labels showing the cut, etc. but with no dates. I was promised it had
been hung for 10 days and was fresh.

Unsure if it was unusual to have been hung for that long, I threw some steaks
on the grill when I got home. They had an odd musty smell which took 2 good scrubbings to remove from
my hands. The burger had that odd odor, too. It tasted ok but with a strange taste,like that smell.

You guys who live in the country and buy rural beef, was I took??

Grouse Ridger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

WE buy a 1/2 steer from a local farmer every year and it is the best beef we have ever had. Contact your local
Ag Extension office and see if they can inspect it and/or test it to see if it has mold in it. They should be willing to help.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 PM
The Man

I have also bought beef from a local place that had a musty flavor.

I don't know what causes that. Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Part of the Community

we run a beef operation and we have our beef dry aged for minimum of 28 days in no way shape or form should any meat smell musty or bad if it does do not eat it as it cannot be healthy like local beef should be. your beef should only be a compliment of what the steer ate and processed into beef not anything else feed crap and your going to get carp meat. We are grass fed and grass finished and have had many people tell us you have to feed them corn and when I give them a package of burger they always comeback for more.
Laylow likes this.

Last edited by casey; 04-22-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: unauthorized link.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought a quarter off a friends son in law. Black Angus. Hung for 10 days packaged and dated with my name on it. Very good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 PM

take JakeS1922 advice and get it tested to make sure it 's fit to eat and find your self a reliable butcher shop to deal with
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Aging tenderizes meat by allowing enzymes to break down the connective tissues. All commercial beef is aged. The longer the aging, the more expensive the beef. A grocery store steak probably didn't hang for more than a few days before being cut. A steak in a 5 star restaurant may have been aged 40 days or more and probably cost the restaurant well over $100.00.

The key to aging is the meat must be kept in a cooler not varying in temperature too far from 35* either way. Aging beef for long periods ( some go high as 90 days) requires refrigeration equipment capable of holding temp with close to absolutely no variation and strict humidity control. That is why beef aged for long periods is very expensive. I've had steaks aged 40 + days a couple of times in my life, and they are unbelievable.

No doubt the beef you bought was aged. How much care was taken in the aging process would determine if the quality of your beef was compromised. I usually like to let venison hang for 7 days (in a cooler) if possible. Venison requires less time than beef to age due to lower fat content. There is no comparison between aged and unaged venison. The aged is so much more tender and flavorful.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just do it for my own self, and a few others. Last year I had 5 head, this year only 2. I have been doing local beef for well over 15 years now. Not only is it way cheaper, it's much, much better. I have my butcher have it hang for at least, 2 weeks, 3 is best. No way should it smell, from hanging, unless like others said, it's wasn't hung with a constant temperature or something similar.

Local fresh beef has a very noticeable different taste than store bought. People who just have some of our hamburgers ask what kind of beef it is, it's that much of a difference.

Something is wrong with your beef......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We usually buy 1/2 a cow every year and never have ours had a bad smell to it. As stated above though, the best meat I've ever had.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 AM

Bulls will have that musty smell and taste.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page