Pomicter anti SH Letter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Pomicter anti SH Letter

Note: Silvie Pomicter is an animal rights activist of longstanding, who has long been involved in anti-hunting movements in PA and who frequently writes letters to various newspapers, supporting her opposition to ALL hunting.

Via GTF: A couple of weeks ago, Bluetick posted the following editorial from his Chambersburg paper.

It has popped up everywhere since. Here is another identical copy from one of my local papers- and I replied.

Please feel free to reply and using what I wrote or craft your own. I have no issue with anyone putting their name on it.

No Sunday hunting

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The majority of Pennsylvanians who hike, bike, jog through the woods, watch wildlife, photograph and connect with nature do so on Sundays.

We deserve one day a week when we can enjoy the outdoors in relative quiet without having to worry about our safety.

A bill to make it legal to hunt on Sundays, H.B. 1760, will be considered in the Legislature. More than 90 percent of Pennsylvanians do not hunt, yet hunters, a minority, can monopolize outdoor opportunities disproportionate to their numbers.

H.B. 1760 will create even greater imbalance among outdoor users.

Traditionally, Sundays are a time for families to be together, relax at home, visit neighbors or attend religious/spiritual services uninterrupted by gunshots or hunters seeking to track/retrieve wounded or dead animals that crossed posted property lines. There is no reason to disrupt this custom to appease a single-digit minority recreational group.

The Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee will hold hearings, limiting testimony only to groups and organizations, which will most likely be pro-hunting groups. Hence these hearings will become farces.

What happened to free speech?

Citizens, farmers and a majority of hunters overwhelmingly oppose Sunday hunting. Please ask your state representative to vote no on H.B. 1760.

Silvie Pomicter

Chinchilla

Read more: No Sunday hunting - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dail...#ixzz1Ujmd8tva
__________________________________________________ _________

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pomicter anti SH Letter

Quote:
Via GTF: A couple of weeks ago, Bluetick posted the following editorial from his Chambersburg paper.

It has popped up everywhere since. Here is another identical copy from one of my local papers- and I replied.
Umm...that isnt what BT wrote or am I misunderstanding?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #3 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Sage

It is. Denny, can we have this thread dedicated to anti-Sunday Hunting letters and replies anyone wishes to write?

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

post #5 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Sage

It's essentially the same letter to the editor, that BT mentioned as being in his local paper and eventually (as Pomicter is known to do), the same letter appeared in other papers around the state, which is what GTF referenced above.

I occasionally check various newspaper sites for stories on hunting and other outdoors issues and have previously found the same letters from Pomicter on other sites, as well as in our local papers. Heidi Prescott (now of HSUS) once did exactly that same thing and may still do it? Another anti-hunter by the name of David Kveragas(sp), does it as well.

Saturating different papers with the same letters, has long been a part of their MO.

IIRC, the last time it was on live bird shoot legislation? Found a letter from Pomicter in an upstate paper, when the same letter had also appeared in numerous other PA papers back then.

Also once found an anti-hunting letter from her in one of the NY papers I check (Elmira, probably?)

And to GTF's post: This will only be open, as long as responses pertain to the issue of anti-hunters sending letters to newspapers on the subject of why they oppose additional Sunday hunting.

Point being, they're already opposed to ALL hunting, regardless of which day it occurs on. So why would anyone be surprised that they'd join in the campaign against SH?

post #6 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Sage

I was kind of hopeful that it would be open to all letters to the editor in opposition to Sunday hunting and their rebuttals?

We could also have a thread dedicated to support of Sunday hunting and rebuttals.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #7 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Here's the problem on letters/rebuttals: To this point, virtually NO ONE in favor of additional SH has done much to make their feelings known publicly.

Those in favor of HB 1706 have been mostly silent, while those opposed for whatever reasons (HSUS, PFB and hunters opposed), have been very vocal in contacting papers, Representatives, Senators, web sites, etc.

Thus far, the Sunday Hunting Coalition (NRA, USSF and USSA), have done little in the way of promotion or response.

So it amounts to the opposition having had July, August and most of September to "get the word out", if the other side is content to wait until the Legislature convenes again in late September, before acting?

post #8 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Sage

I'm hopeful that the tide will soon change Denny? I'll gladly help anyone write a reply to the editors in their districts supporting Sunday Hunting.

post #9 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Sage

The hard part for those who support this HB is combating the non-supporters letters. Most are factless, emotionally driven and riddled with unfounded horror stories which Legislatures either agree with or have no choice because that's all they are hearing from those they represent. I've been told by countless Reps that they agree with SH but have no choice because those they represent and who are writing the letters are making more "noise", regardless of how factless and emotionally driven those letters are.

So, writing more letters will work, but they need to come hard and heavy. We also need the NRA and other like organizations to speak up and speak up loudly!! We can drown out the emotion with fact based and clearly stated positions of SH in our letters... thus mirroring the NRA and like organizations.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #10 of 392 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

NM....I misread it and thought you meant that BT wrote that piece for the paper.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page