Letters to the Editor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Letters to the Editor

A couple of weeks ago, Bluuetick posted the following editorial from his Chambersburg paper.

It has popped up everywhere since. Here is another identical copy from one of my local papers- and I replied.

Please feel free to reply and using what I wrote or craft your own. I have no issue with anyone putting their name on it.

No Sunday hunting

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The majority of Pennsylvanians who hike, bike, jog through the woods, watch wildlife, photograph and connect with nature do so on Sundays.

We deserve one day a week when we can enjoy the outdoors in relative quiet without having to worry about our safety.

A bill to make it legal to hunt on Sundays, H.B. 1760, will be considered in the Legislature. More than 90 percent of Pennsylvanians do not hunt, yet hunters, a minority, can monopolize outdoor opportunities disproportionate to their numbers.

H.B. 1760 will create even greater imbalance among outdoor users.

Traditionally, Sundays are a time for families to be together, relax at home, visit neighbors or attend religious/spiritual services uninterrupted by gunshots or hunters seeking to track/retrieve wounded or dead animals that crossed posted property lines. There is no reason to disrupt this custom to appease a single-digit minority recreational group.

The Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee will hold hearings, limiting testimony only to groups and organizations, which will most likely be pro-hunting groups. Hence these hearings will become farces.

What happened to free speech?

Citizens, farmers and a majority of hunters overwhelmingly oppose Sunday hunting. Please ask your state representative to vote no on H.B. 1760.

Silvie Pomicter

Chinchilla

Read more: No Sunday hunting - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dail...#ixzz1Ujmd8tva
__________________________________________________ _________

In a July 30íth editorial, Silvie Pomicter opposes Sunday hunting for a variety of reasons; however; not one holds water when it comes to the constitution; and other justifications she uses are plain wrong.

While hunters are a minority in Pennsylvania, hunters own a considerable portion of land. Forest land owners collectively hold 11.7 million acres of land in PA, and research shows 50% purchased their land primarily to hunt.

Additionally, 1.5 million acres of state game lands have been purchased primarily through hunting license dollars.

Those game lands are open to the public without charge.

I certainly hope Ms. Pomicter doesnít wish to infringe on the rights of those land owners by attempting to control the types of legal activities they might engage in on a Sunday. A property right is the exclusive authority to determine how a resource is used, whether that resource is owned by government or by individuals. A synonym of right is equitable. Every landowner should have the right to post their land or not, and to hunt their land or not; and that includes hunters who do not own their own land but hunt game lands paid for by their license dollars.

She points a finger and implies hunting is not safe.

Statistics from the US Safety Council show hunting is amongst the safest activities to participate in, especially in states where hunter safety courses are required like Pennsylvania. The following figures are death related incidents by category per 100,000 participants.

Automobiles -18.6; Home accidents -8.6; Falls -5.0, Hunting (among participants) - 0.85; Lightning - 0.04; Insect stings - 0.02; Hunting (among non-participants) - 0.001

Hunting is safer than billiards, hiking, cheer leading and even safer than driving to your hunting or hiking destination by car.

She implies hunters have a disproportional number of days in the woods compared to other users. There are only two Sundays out of the entire year that might have a large impact in Pennís woods with regard to the number of hunters that might be in the woods. This year, bear would fall on November 20th and deer would fall on December 3rd, hardly high use days by non-hunters. Deer and bear hunting are not mandated by the bill.

I invite anyone who believes hunting will disrupt their day because of the noise to sit on their porch this Saturday, as Saturdays are the highest of all impact days for hunters, and count the number of gun shots heard and
compare them with the number of motorcycles they hear.
Note which is louder and which is more frequent.

The current species hunters are permitted to hunt in August is groundhog, crow, starlings, English sparrows and coyote.

There are a similar number of licensed motorcyclists in PA as there are hunters. Shall we ban motorcycles on Sundays too since they are also a minority?

Hunters are the original conservationists and provide a free ecological service in PA by keeping wildlife populations in balance with their habitats. Please support House Bill 1760 by writing your legislator today.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage

Re: Letters to the Editor

Poor Ms. Pomicter may be insulted to find out someone thinks she's a he.

Apparently she's unaware that her colleague, Ms Speed, has already testified in what Pomicter branded a farce?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
The Man

I invite anyone who believes hunting will disrupt their day because of the noise to sit on their porch this Saturday, as Saturdays are the highest of all impact days for hunters, and count the number of gun shots heard and
compare them with the number of motorcycles they hear.
Note which is louder and which is more frequent.

Would you ask them to make the same comparison on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving--Just askin

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Sage

No, I'd ask them to count the gunshots, but leave the motorcycles out of it.

While they will hear some, it won't be huge explosions like some make it sound, nor will it be a day the majority of them would have wandered into the woods to begin with.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I thought that was a mans name. Oops!

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I'd also like to ask her how "dead" animals are capable of crossing property lines.

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

One BIG thing to add is that H.B. 1760 is NOT a bill to make it legal to hunt on Sundays.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Sage

People can't see past the deer issue. They are afraid the deer herd will be wiped out.

I had to laugh the other day. I was watching the House Fish and Game hearing from a month ago. The lady with the Farm Bureau said it was impractical to post her 140 acres against Sunday Hunting.

I'm wondering how all the other farmers in this state find it practical to post their farms.

Heck, I have 420 acres to post and find it possible, and that is up and down ravines and on sidehills.

She made me laugh with her exaggerations.............

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspyJoe
One BIG thing to add is that H.B. 1760 is NOT a bill to make it legal to hunt on Sundays.
Raspy: You're right. But the thing is, when the bill is passed (not this year) it will be all about deer hunting on Sundays rest assured. That's the issue whether the vocal minority here will agree with that or not. It's all about deer hunting on Sundays.

Muab Dib (Who may have been born at night but not last night.)

"There is no District 12"
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 PM
The Man

nor will it be a day the majority of them would have wandered into the woods to begin with

Ya got a point there--I've been out many times on Sunday and I've seen very few if any people out walking trails.

Genesis 27:3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page