Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Part of the Community

Looks bad to me!

Integrity is doing the right thing...even when no one is watching. C.S.Lewis
It's hip to be square. Huey Lewis
"Lady" Jerry Lewis
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM

"Given the financial difficulties frequently expressed by both agencies, and the reality that other statesí wildlife agencies can operate efficiently under one umbrella, I believe now is the time to take a more serious look at combing the two commissions into one more streamlined, efficient agency."

Really?!? That's the political solution. Why not let them fund themselves with a license increase.... ohhh that would be inconvenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:02 PM

This is long overdue, IMO. The bill preserves the independence of the merged agency and excludes DCNR.

I plan to introduce legislation to merge the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and the Pennsylvania Game Commission into one independent agency, based on the results of the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee (LBFC) study on the issue.

The LBFC study examined the feasibility, impact, costs and savings of combining the agencies and explored a range of options with regard to how to structure a new agency to best manage the wildlife and aquatic resources of the Commonwealth. Currently, Pennsylvania is the only state in the nation with two separate, independent agencies with management and oversight of fishing, boating and wildlife activities.

The study found that a merger of the commissions is feasible and would save the Commonwealth at least $5 million annually, primarily through elimination of redundant upper level positions and duplication of services.

Given the financial difficulties frequently expressed by both agencies, and the reality that other states’ wildlife agencies can operate efficiently under one umbrella, I believe now is the time to take a more serious look at combing the two commissions into one more streamlined, efficient agency
thewildfront likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 11-20-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 PM

"This is long overdue, IMO. The bill preserves the independence of the merged agency and excludes DCNR."

If you mean "preserves the independence of the merged agency and excludes DCNR but places both under the political control of the legiscritters" then there is no way we as hunters should support this HB. This is just an attempt to get the commissions gas, oil and timber royalties to prop up the budget deficit.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Regular Visitor

They all (DCNR, DEP, F&BC, GC) should be consolidated and adjust fringe benefits for employees of those organizations as well while they are at it....it's out of control. The employees pay next to nothing for health care and the pensions are rediclious. Those of us in private and federal sector delt with this over the past 15 years with pensions discontinued, 401k matches reduced, and employee contributions sky rocketed. In additon there was layoffs, furlongs, and sites closed.

When are legislators and agencies like PFBC and PGC make the hard decisions going to do their part?
TENPT and thewildfront like this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH80 View Post
They all (DCNR, DEP, F&BC, GC) should be consolidated and adjust fringe benefits for employees of those organizations as well while they are at it....it's out of control. The employees pay next to nothing for health care and the pensions are rediclious. Those of us in private and federal sector delt with this over the past 15 years with pensions discontinued, 401k matches reduced, and employee contributions sky rocketed. In additon there was layoffs, furlongs, and sites closed.

When are legislators and agencies like PFBC and PGC make the hard decisions going to do their part?
The benefits are have been set by the legislature. No amount of consolidation will change the benefits. The PGC The PF&BC, or any other agency has no control over the health care or the pensions. That my friend must be done by the legislature & we know they are not going to change anything that will affect themselseves.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47studebaker View Post

If you mean "preserves the independence of the merged agency and excludes DCNR but places both under the political control of the legiscritters" then there is no way we as hunters should support this HB. This is just an attempt to get the commissions gas, oil and timber royalties to prop up the budget deficit.
Where in the bill does it contain language that provides more political control of the agencies? The bill, as written, is strictly a bill to merge two independent agencies into one independent agency.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Regular Visitor

Well aware my friend...it needs changed for all the agencies, and is in my opinion, why us outdoorsman have seen less fish and birds stocked, license fees rise, and genrally a drop off in the programs that benefit us and the wildlife.

The consolidation also makes sense but I feel is a #2 on the list. I think Pennsylvania is the only state now to have seperate agencies for fish and game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH80 View Post

The benefits are have been set by the legislature. No amount of consolidation will change the benefits. The PGC The PF&BC, or any other agency has no control over the health care or the pensions. That my friend must be done by the legislature & we know they are not going to change anything that will affect themselseves.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 11:17 AM

And combining two flat broke agencies into one fixes what problems?

Anyone who thinks combining the Game and Fish Commission into one agency will save money is simply delusional and wishful thinking. At the very best it is simply applying a band aid where a tourniquet is needed.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page