House Bill 1483 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

House Bill 1483

Don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but received this email from SCI. Link to the bill is in the first sentence of the email.

Member Alert

Pennsylvania Hunters – Contact Your Rep And Oppose HB 1483
Hunters in Pennsylvania -- your help is needed to defeat House Bill 1483. Introduced by Representative David Maloney (R-130) on Oct. 16, 2017, HB 1483 would jeopardize approximately $25 million in conservation funding generated by Pennsylvania's sportsmen and women and will significantly curtail the Pennsylvania Game Commission's ability to manage the wildlife resources of the Commonwealth.

Use SCI's Action Center to contact your Representative and urge him/her to oppose HB 1483.

Beyond the potentially disastrous loss of $25 million in critical conservation dollars, this bill raises numerous other concerns:
  • Adding an unnecessary level of bureaucracy by creating the "Forest and Wildlife Advisory Council," which inappropriately limits representation for the hunting and angling community and does not require education, training or experience in wildlife management for appointees;
  • Eliminating the Game Commission's ability to adaptively manage wildlife resources through the regulatory process and subjecting management practices to the slow-moving legislative process;
  • Setting permit limits by county based on recommendations of the Advisory Council rather than through professional management standards;
  • Mandating Advisory Council oversight of wildlife management on state-managed lands;
  • Setting three-day antlerless deer hunting seasons;
  • Creating deer hunting regulations that target senior hunting license holders;
  • Eliminating Deer Management Programs on public lands; and
  • Mandating the adoption of a widely controversial and currently unproven "Maximum Sustainable Yield" management concept.
In 2016, Representative Malone introduced the same bill. Eleven sportsmen's organizations, including SCI and two of its Pennsylvania Chapters, sent a letter of opposition explaining how that proposal would have disastrous consequences.

The Game Commission's mission is, "to manage Pennsylvania's wild birds, wild mammals, and their habitats for current and future generations." HB 1483 will negatively impact the ability of the Game Commission to properly carry out its stated mission. It also undermines scientifically-based, professional wildlife management in general.

SCI urges all hunters to contact their Representative and ask him/her to oppose HB 1483.

Safari Club International - First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI's approximately 200 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 106 other countries. SCI's proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page www.SafariClub.org, or call (520) 620-1220 for more information.
International Headquarters Tucson, Arizona · Washington, District of Columbia · Ottawa, Canada
www.SafariClub.org
jimbridger and Dean Conklin like this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage

Only two sportsmen's groups I know of supporting this, are ACSL and USP, which over the past few years seem to be morphing into one group, given their common supporters and political allies?

PA-NWTF, PA Trappers, United Bowhunters, Pheasants Forever, QDMA, PFSC and pretty much everyone else are opposed, just as they were to last year's similar attempt at usurping PGC's lawful mandates of managing our wildlife and habitats - and handing things over to an appointed group.
jimbridger and Marcus99 like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM

I agree about it's chances but this year the legiscritters are considering putting one executive director in charge of both the PA F&BC and the PA GC. That one scares me more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Sage

If you want to know why this current crop of legislators are "feeling their oats", as far as messing with both wildlife agencies - it's because hardly anyone is voicing their opposition to their shenanigans.

Which is usually the case. Those unhappy with either PGC or Fish and Boat, grumble to their representatives incessantly, always have.

While the vast majority of hunters and anglers blissfully go about enjoying their time outdoors, without really paying much attention to what's been going on.

The single biggest "blip" on the radar screen this year, was finding out a pheasant stamp is required. It was long overdue in my opinion. Had PGC instituted a $10 stamp years ago, it would've been far more palatable to most.

Many non-pheasant hunters have complained for years about the costs of raising/stocking pheasants, as witnessed by many comments here. But it remains a popular past time for many hunters, especially those with dogs.

Last I looked, somewhere around 60K pheasant stamps had been sold to adult and SR hunters. That's a bit less than 10% of all adult/SR hunters.

MYH and JR hunters do not need one.
jimbridger and octagon like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
If you want to know why this current crop of legislators are "feeling their oats", as far as messing with both wildlife agencies - it's because hardly anyone is voicing their opposition to their shenanigans.

Which is usually the case. Those unhappy with either PGC or Fish and Boat, grumble to their representatives incessantly, always have.

While the vast majority of hunters and anglers blissfully go about enjoying their time outdoors, without really paying much attention to what's been going on.

The single biggest "blip" on the radar screen this year, was finding out a pheasant stamp is required. It was long overdue in my opinion. Had PGC instituted a $10 stamp years ago, it would've been far more palatable to most.

Many non-pheasant hunters have complained for years about the costs of raising/stocking pheasants, as witnessed by many comments here. But it remains a popular past time for many hunters, especially those with dogs.

Last I looked, somewhere around 60K pheasant stamps had been sold to adult and SR hunters. That's a bit less than 10% of all adult/SR hunters.

MYH and JR hunters do not need one.

..... 60,000 pheasant permits sold now....eh! Nothing woks better than planting oats... to reap oats.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post

House Bill 1483, and similar legislation is caused by the PGC. Example....the concentrated management effort applied to vast forested areas of SGLs for neo tropical migrants coming first ..with what ever old growth inclined game animal and predator they can drag along with it..... second.

You' re right Denny. No one is paying attention to what is going on.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Part of the Community

And, Curly Maple, can you provide an example of your comment on neotropical migrants and how PGC is accommodating them?

Integrity is doing the right thing...even when no one is watching. C.S.Lewis
It's hip to be square. Huey Lewis
"Lady" Jerry Lewis
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus22 View Post
And, Curly Maple, can you provide an example of your comment on neotropical migrants and how PGC is accommodating them?

Its the management plan for SGL37. .......Predominantly forested. Heavily weighted toward 80 -125 year age class. Priority placed on managing the contiguous forested nature of the SGL. Doing so provides the opportunity to manage habitat for black bear, fisher, and neo tropical migrants.

The only ES planned is for isolated pockets.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have been watching this issue, and I as many believe our PGC has problems. I can also understand wanting the PGC to be more, or better accountable for things. HOWEVER--folks by taking a current commission in which we know has problems, and then developing yet another "so-called" over sight group is to me a recipe for disaster. I say this because using our current federal standards in Washington, DC--that's what they do--take a known entity who has issues, and form yet another entity to over see that one, and what we get is a big mess. We get a failed entity overseeing another failed entity who is overseeing yet other failed entities. basically a bureaucracy laden mess.
What we need to do is fix the existing issues we have without heaping more failure on top of it.--How?--well I am unsure, but by piling on yet another agency filled with what could be unqualified people to oversee an already problematic mess cannot have a good outcome. It is my opinion it will only lead to an even bigger mess in which will be even tougher to untangle the problems we have currently.
I find myself still trying to see, and hear both sides of this issue. I am one who simply does not have all the facts on both sides here. I am trying to sort through it.
The one thing I do know is this---For those who simply go out, and buy a hunting license, and pay no attention to what is going on behind the scenes simply not caring whats going on, and allowing others to carry the burden of politics ( I call these people "takers"-taking, and not giving back)--YOU BETTER WAKE UP!
Our sport has a very dark under-belly with lots going on behind the scenes that CAN, and WILL have a very direct outcome--good, or bad.
In the end when folks suddenly stop in their tracks, and ask--"My God--how did we get here in such a deep mess?"--Easy answer--we sat back--uninformed, un-caring, not caring, and paying absolutely no attention to what was going on.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:57 PM

i went to the outdoor show in Erie today and the USP has a booth there, they had a crowd and this is what they are passing out as well as collecting signatures, lots of signatures in support of HB 1483

Quote:
House Bill 1483 is designed to correct the greatest conservation mistake in the over-one-hundred-year history of the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Recognizing this crisis, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives has designed HB 1483 to resolve this environmental, social, and economic dilemma. Learn about the current forest and wildlife crisis on this website, and become a Friend of Pennsylvania Wildlife. Please urge your House and Senate representatives to support passage of HB 1483.

A Wildlife and Conservation Crisis

Pennsylvania has always been recognized for the vastness of its hardwood forests and abundance of wildlife. Today, however, many of Pennsylvania’s forest-dwelling wildlife species are facing crisis conditions because of deteriorating forests.

Both game and nongame birds and mammals are rapidly declining in numbers because of aging forests that have grown well beyond their most productive years. Old-age forests averaging 80-120 years old are choking out sunlight from reaching the forest floor, and, therefore, preventing the growth of understory vegetation as vital food and cover for wildlife. Populations of ruffed grouse, our State Bird, have now reached a 50-year low, and over 150 other species from white-tailed deer and snowshoe hares to bats, songbirds, and even pollinators such as bees and Monarch butterflies are in rapid decline because of the lack of habitat.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has failed to recognize this circumstance, and, instead, blamed the lack of understory vegetation on over-browsing by deer. As a result, over a 5-year period from 2000-04 the Commission initiated an assault on the statewide deer herd, our State Mammal, targeting pregnant does and fawns and slaughtering over 2,500,000 deer. From 2005 to the present, they have maintained the assault, leaving only 1-2 deer per square mile in some regions of the state.

Because of the lack of deer and other wildlife, the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee determined that family businesses, rural communities, and the Commonwealth’s economy have lost over $7 billion. As of 2001, these egregious social and economic losses were impacting jobs and our economy at the rate of $501.6 million per year, with over $40 million in lost tax revenues per year due to this crisis. However, as of 2017 these impacts had increased to $1.16 billion per year in lost economic activity for the Commonwealth, especially to rural communities, with an additional $92.5 million in annual lost tax revenues.

HB 1483 will create critical early-growth wildlife habitat across 6,000 square miles of Pennsylvania’s forests; maximize the populations of deer, grouse, and scores of wildlife species; improve the health of the forest ecosystem; revitalize rural communities with $500 million to over $1 billion of annual economic growth; generate nearly $100 million per year in new state tax revenue; and provide multiple-use outdoor recreation opportunities for the enjoyment of all Pennsylvania citizens. HB 1483 will serve the interests of a million sportsmen as well as the outdoor-recreation needs of over 12 million campers, cabin owners, hikers, mountain bikers, wildlife photographers, birdwatchers, and general outdoor enthusiasts.
i didnt see any counter petition at the PGC booth or any other booths to counter what they are doing.

this doesnt look good. and the crowd at the PGC booth was not there, just PFBC and PGC officers talking to each other

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page