Wolf Administration Announces Project to Reclaim 40 Acres, Restore Designated High-Qu - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Wolf Administration Announces Project to Reclaim 40 Acres, Restore Designated High-Qu

Wolf Administration Announces Project to Reclaim 40 Acres, Restore Designated High-Quality Coldwater Fishery in Sproul State Forest

-
Renovo, PA – On behalf of Governor Tom Wolf, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today announced the launch of a coal mine reclamation project in Sproul State Forest to help restore 40 acres and Cooks Run Watershed, a designated High-Quality Coldwater Fishery that was home to native brook trout before acid mine drainage (AMD) impaired it.

“Many anglers and other fans of the beautiful Sproul State Forest have waited a long time for this, and some have dedicated many hours of effort,” said DEP Secretary Patrick McDonnell. “The Wolf Administration is proud to be the fulcrum for significant progress on cleaning up the acid mine drainage that’s degraded Cooks Run and its tributaries for more than 40 years.”

The Cooks Run Restoration project significantly advances a long-term effort by many partners to turn a surface mine back into a forest setting for fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, and other uses, as well as habitat and food plots for wildlife. Increased land and water recreation opportunities are expected to enhance the local economy in Clinton County.

Acid-forming materials will be excavated from the former Fran Contracting mine site and mixed with alkaline materials to neutralize acidity, helping to remove AMD from the Camp Run and Rock Run tributaries to Cooks Run. This project is the second of three projects required to restore the health of the watershed.

The Cooks Run Restoration Project is part of the Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation Pilot Program, funded by $30 million from the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE), U.S. Department of Interior.---

In addition to OSMRE and DEP, project partners include the Allegheny Mountain Chapter of Trout Unlimited, the American Chestnut Foundation, Clarion University, East Keating Township, Kettle Creek Watershed Association, Noyes Township, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania State University, Trout Unlimited Eastern Abandoned Mine Program, and the Western Clinton County Sportsmen’s Association.-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Part of the Community

Kudos to all the individuals that worked hard to make that very worthy project a reality.

I realize that the many sources of mine acid pollution occured way back in the 30's thru the 50's but was wondering, if any of those companies that were responsible for that blatant disreard for the water quality in our commonwealth, are still in business ??

I floated the Yough yesterday from Connellsville to Whitsett.. We passed at least FIVE different orange, acid drainage, polluted streams feeding into the main river..
( the stream banks are orange and dead for hundreds of yds. downstream)..The Yough could be a world class smallmouth bass fishery if not for its marginal water quality..What a great legacy to leave the future generations...Sad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page