• 4 Post By R. S. B.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

DCNR and Climate Change

PA-DCNR---061417

DCNR Working to Mitigate and Adapt to Climate Change on Public Lands
-

After a decision made last month by the Trump Administration withdrawing the United States from the Paris Climate Accord, DCNR Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn noted additional responsibility will fall on states and communities.

“While climate change presents significant challenges, there is much we can and are doing here in Pennsylvania -- from managing our forests to sequester an increasing amount of carbon and ensuring that our public lands remain resilient, to helping private landowners and communities reduce their carbon footprints and adapt to climate change,” Dunn said.

DCNR currently is working with the Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science to develop a climate change mitigation and adaptation plan for the department.

“As the state’s leading conservation agency, DCNR is using the best available science to develop and implement climate change strategies to minimize and adapt to these impacts, and serve as a role model for the citizens of Pennsylvania,” Dunn said.

Pennsylvania is experiencing higher temperatures; increased precipitation; higher numbers of storm events; decreased snow cover; and changing distribution of some plants and animals related to climate change.

As outlined in a position statement to be included in the adaptation plan, DCNR will:

Appoint a Climate Action Steering Team comprised of bureau directors to provide resources, monitor progress, and ensure that climate change mitigation and adaptation are integrated into the department’s operations and mission

Refine and adapt strategies identified in “DCNR and Climate Change – Planning for the Future,” as well as other relevant sources, to create and implement a climate change adaptation and mitigation plan

Evaluate the department’s carbon footprint and mitigate greenhouse gases by reducing energy consumption and increasing forest carbon sequestration

Develop a climate change communications plan to engage and educate the public and DCNR staff
Work cooperatively with state and federal agencies, organizations, and universities to conduct research, share tools and resources, and coordinate our response to climate change
-
DCNR is charged with maintaining and protecting 121 state parks and 2.2 million acres of state forest land, as well as the conservation of native wild plants, and providing information about the state's ecological and geologic resources.
The department also provides information and technical advice to private forest landowners and establishes community conservation partnerships through grants and technical assistance to benefit rivers, trails, greenways, local parks and recreation, heritage regions, open space, and natural areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Part of the Community

The climate has been changing since time began. If these people think they can stop that, they are fools.
Wainzoid, ZMan079, PENS52 and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:51 AM
The Man

Is this something that should be done already? So if Trump didnt pull out of the Paris agreement, this wouldnt have happened?

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Id bet that the (Northern Institute Of Applied Climate Science) exists as a result of a government grant courtesy of the tax payers, as does the DCNR.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Though I believe climate change is a reality I also believe it has been occurring since the beginning of time from perfectly natural changes in the universe shifting in it various planet, sun and moon rotations and alignments. I am not at all convinced man’s footprint is causing any significant atmospheric changes.

As far as President Trump pulling us out of the Paris Acord I see that as a good thing because all the Paris Accord amounted to was the United States taxpayer’s being raped of our money to send to other counties who weren’t going to comply with good or clean environment stands anyway and just use the money we sent them to build even higher level of corruption within both their government and ours.

I see this step by DCNR as nothing more than political lip service.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM

since i'll be dead ,and I have no kids ..
I don't care what they do either way

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:57 PM

So where does spraying weed killer on aquatic vegetation fall ? Since plants produce oxygen it would seem that DNRC would be opposed to spraying....and yet they have been spraying here in the SE for 5-6 years(it is now subbed out to an outside contractor). In addition to killing oxygen producing plants - decaying vegetation burns up oxygen(that's why green weeds are places to fish in the fall as opposed to brown dying weeds). There have also been some fish kills mainly smaller 4-6" perch + crappie, which nave been blamed on stress from spawning - yet un sprayed lakes haven't had the problem. When DNRC did the spraying it was done in late April/early May .... How many freshly spawned out fry do you think survived ?

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page