Posted:
May 3, 2017 11:17 AM
Representative Barry J. Jozwiak
To:
All House members
Subject:
Hunting License Fee Increase
-
In the near future, I intend to introduce legislation that would increase certain hunting license fees issued by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The legislation will provide for the following increases:

Adult resident hunting $19 to $29
Bear hunting resident $15 to $20
Bear hunting nonresident $35 to $40
Antlerless deer resident $5 to $10
Antlerless deer nonresident $25 to $40
Archery deer resident $15 to $20
Archery deer nonresident $25 to $40
Muzzleloader deer resident $10 to $20
Muzzleloader deer nonresident $20 to $40
Adult nonresident hunting $100 to $150
Seven-day nonresident small game $30 to $50
Adult resident furtaker $19 to $29
Adult nonresident furtaker $80 to $100
Migratory game bird resident $2 to $5
Migratory game bird nonresident $5 to $10
Special wild turkey resident $20 to $25
Special wild turkey nonresident $40 to $50

New categories of licenses:
Senior nonresident hunting $100
Senior nonresident furtaker $80
Senior nonresident combo hunting and furtaker $150
Ultimate outdoor combo (bear, archery,
muzzleloader, furtaker, migratory game bird,
special wild turkey)
resident $110

Please consider joining me, as a co-sponsor of this legislation. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 AM

I still think the FAIR way of non resident licensing should by reciprocal to their home state would charge a Pennsylvanian.Then non residents only have their home state to blame for Pa.s fees...Sound fair?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiggy View Post
I still think the FAIR way of non resident licensing should by reciprocal to their home state would charge a Pennsylvanian.Then non residents only have their home state to blame for Pa.s fees...Sound fair?
I know some states do that with fishing licenses. I forget which but I know I've encountered this somewhere. My only concern would be how much more work it would involve to keep tabs on all other licenses in other states, and what about other countries?

Last edited by Marcus99; 05-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiggy View Post

If the two states offer equitable levels of game to be hunted then fine, but very few states are equal. Some states offer more than PA does, some offer less. Until then, leave it as it is. You either want to pay to hunt here or you don't. And if you don't, then stay at home.
outofstater likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:51 AM
The Man

The big jump in non-resident fees could drive away a lot of hunters. I have non-residents come in to hunt a weekend with me and dont mind paying $30 for a 2-3 day hunt, not sure how they will feel about paying $50. Same with the full non-resident jumping to $150; I can hunt NY for only $100.

I see there still isnt a pheasant stamp being introduced, but yet when I take youth & father to hunt woodcock they will now need to pay $5 for that tag, a tag that is free in many other states.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
The big jump in non-resident fees could drive away a lot of hunters. I have non-residents come in to hunt a weekend with me and dont mind paying $30 for a 2-3 day hunt, not sure how they will feel about paying $50. Same with the full non-resident jumping to $150; I can hunt NY for only $100.

I see there still isnt a pheasant stamp being introduced, but yet when I take youth & father to hunt woodcock they will now need to pay $5 for that tag, a tag that is free in many other states.
I thought the pheasant stamp was already a done deal for the 2017/18 license year?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
I thought the pheasant stamp was already a done deal for the 2017/18 license year?
It is a done deal, but as a permit created by the Game Commission instead of a license fee established through legislation.

I would actually prefer to see it as a pheasant license instead of a permit for one simple reason. As a license it would result in increased federal P/R funds coming back to the state. But, as a permit it does not result in additional P/R funds. Simply put, as a license instead of a permit it would provide more money for the Game Commission to put into habitat at no additional costs to the hunters.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:17 AM
The Man

I feel as a non-resident this proposed increase is fair. The 100-150 , well that's little salty but can deal with it. The tags aren't bad I'm much happier with this one then prior proposal. The antlerless tag could of stayed the same since it is such a management tool. There was earlier posts about charging the same price as other states does for non residents. I agree with that but after good thought it would be hard to compare due to every state has different limits. For example here in Md. we do that for non resident license of charging what other states do in return. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. Years ago South Carolina charged something like 500.00 for general NR license. So in return Md. would charge a SC resident the same price to hunt here, kind of fair. So now to compare Md.- Pa. it would be hard and could create a big debate. Md. for there NR muzzy stamp includes a buck and doe = 2 deer on one stamp. Archery : buck and doe = 2 deer, General license buck and doe =2 deer. No doe license required or sold. So this would be hard to compare for these reasons. I'm just in favor of current proposal of extra few dollars for stamps, extra for general license , however will not get fur license anymore. I was never in to it that much and just bought them for general purpose but now wont spend the extra 100.00 for no reason.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Didn't the license increase get killed by the committee?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 PM

According to the Pennsylvania Outdoor News the House Pennsylvania Game and Fisheries Committee met and didnít pass a bill for the Pennsylvania Game Commission license increase, which they last did in 1999. To make things ďfair,Ē they didnít give one to the Fish and Boat Commission, either.
It looks like they are waiting for the state Auditor General to complete (or I should say start) an audit of the PGC automobile use that was supposed to begin last year. Now they say it wonít even start until sometime in 2018. At lease the Fish and Boat Commission got a heads up and has decided to look at its vehicle fleet without the legiscritters requesting an audit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page