The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Hunter of beloved Lake Valhalla swan didn't mean to offend

886 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Birch812 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I kind of have a mixed view on this. I would have shot that swan in a heartbeat, but I think this has several sides to the argument.

First, and the only thing that would concern me is it was a legal shoot. The hunter had every right to be proud of his harvest and definitely was worthy of photos and showing it off to his friends.

The part I don't agree is the actions of the hunter after the kill.
He knew he was hunting in a sensitive situation, with the location he was hunting.
Many of these private communities that have lakes and hold a lot of game do not look kindly on people shooting their deer, bear, swan. The fact the owner of the land had warned them, and now appears to have thrown him under the bus and making him make nice with the development residents.
Sadly if the land owner starts feeling heat there will be no hunting on his property next season.

With the hunter knowing the sensitivity of the situation involving the shoot taking all the pictures he wanted was fine, but posting them on facebook was kind of "in your face", but to receive death threats over it is not right.
It would be great if people could accept it for what it is, a guy enjoying a past time and sharing pictures of his success, but its not like that.
I was surprised that the swan didn't have a name to further villainized the guy.
Everyone does not look on what we enjoy with the same enthusiasm and that is something we need to realize when we post pictures that all hunting are being judged on.

I don't think the hunter owes the people in the development anything but if it were me I would not make that my #1 spot in the future.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.