BOC and archery bear. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

BOC and archery bear.

The BOC is considering moving archery bear up a week and run that season concurrent with the last week of archery deer.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think they should have created an archery bear stamp way back when. Missed revenue opportunity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:04 PM

I'd buy a bear tag for that opportunity. With only so much time to get away from home to make the 5 hour drive to camp deer archery and rifle season is what I focus on. Adding bear archery into the last week of archery would be pretty cool and I would buy a tag. Otherwise I have no intentions of buying a bear tag since the season doesnt fit into the time I have available to go to camp. I dont think archery bear in the last week of archery would impact my archery hunt at all.
Muzz and whil e kioti like this.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM

IMO, it could have been moved up three weeks so that archery and muzzleloader hunters both got a whack at one.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

And create a ML bear stamp too!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Primitive bear season permit?
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
Primitive bear season permit?

No need - like the archery bear season - only need a bear stamp. Just need the weapon added to the lawful use side of the ledger.

Might as well give the flinters the last week of archery deer to hunt rutting bucks as well.

Can't add days or weeks to the year - only 365 days. So we need so share the seasons.

Absolutely no reason not to do this. If they fear impact to the deer - shorten the season by a week so others can participate.

Talking flintlocks only.
bohunr likes this.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
No need - like the archery bear season - only need a bear stamp. Just need the weapon added to the lawful use side of the ledger.

We have an agency looking for ways to up revenue. The BOC "conveniently" overlooked the archery bear season as a source for a new permit...one that they could create without legislative approval no less. They gave it to archery for free...and then down the road declared the October ML week being a free ride requiring a price increase.

Not that I'm completely opposed to an ML increase, but the BOC seriously needs to start pricing those two seasons based on something solid.....and emotional politics isn't it.

This subject wasn't the purpose of why I started the thread.

Moving the archery bear season to the last week of archery deer is said will result with a higher archery bear kill. No one has a pro/con opinion?

Will this allow the rifle bear season to be moved up a week? Pro/con?
outofstater likes this.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think they would still make more money without a separate stamp. Because more archers will buy a bear tag if the chance is there to shoot a bear. Ever since they added bear to the first week of buck, all my buddies get a bear tag every year. Half of them have ever seen a bear in the woods and none of them ever hunt the traditional bear season. They spend the extra money for that 1% chance.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:04 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

The time of year we hunt bear now, the relatively short seasons and the no bait or no dog hunting means we have very low harvests as it is. Even with the huge drives that people put on, what is the success rate in PA? Like 3%? In Maine and Canada, they have a long season with any weapons and they use bait and dogs. They still have plenty of bears.

What kind of harvest numbers do you think we could withstand?
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
We have an agency looking for ways to up revenue. The BOC "conveniently" overlooked the archery bear season as a source for a new permit...one that they could create without legislative approval no less. They gave it to archery for free...and then down the road declared the October ML week being a free ride requiring a price increase.

Not that I'm completely opposed to an ML increase, but the BOC seriously needs to start pricing those two seasons based on something solid.....and emotional politics isn't it.

This subject wasn't the purpose of why I started the thread.

Moving the archery bear season to the last week of archery deer is said will result with a higher archery bear kill. No one has a pro/con opinion?

Will this allow the rifle bear season to be moved up a week? Pro/con?
Yes agree, want more money from us? Give us more product it business. This agency has sat around and got passed up by other states with an arrogant attitude. It needs some new programs like this to move forward and hunters will support it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page