Semi auto legislation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Semi auto legislation

There is legislation headed to the Governor that would allow the game commission to write regulations that would allow the use of semi auto rifles to hunt. Assuming it becomes law, I wonder what PA hunters would like to see the pgc do with it. Small game ? Predators like fox and coyote? Groundhogs? What about fall turkey or deer and bear for that matter? If big game, should there be a minimum caliber? Right now deer and bear can be hunted with any centerfire. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 PM

The bill also legalizes air rifles.

For next year, I would like to see air rifles legal for all small game, groundhogs, and trapping dispatch. I would like to see semiautomatic rimfire with no magazine restrictions for all small game, groundhogs, and trapping dispatch. I would like to see semiautomatic centerfire legal for furbearers and groundhogs with a 5 round magazine restriction.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:36 PM

I think wouldn't bother me to see them legal for all game.

Our anti-gun neighbor to the north (ny) allows semi autos even on Sunday, and in the years since rifles have become legal in the area I hunt, I haven't noticed anything different than pa. I hunt there with a bolt action and would continue to hunt with a bolt here for deer most likely.

No legitimate reason for additional caliber restrictions...a .223 is the same whether fired from an ar or rem 700.

I would be interested in a browning buckmark for shooting a few rabbits and maybe a 10/22 for squirrel though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Part of the Community

I do not support using semi's for any kind of game. It takes away the time honored tradition from hunting (where stealth and marksmanship were learned assets to ensure success. IMO it now becomes just shooting at an animal where a barrage of bullets is thought to be necessary to make up for one's inability to hit a target with consistency. Also, an inarguable fact is the more lead thrown out in the field increases the likelyhood of ricochets or errant rounds downrange due to unintended fire. Lastly, the majority of people in rural areas can accept the volley of fire from a current PA legal firearm, but become distraught when the rate of fire becomes rapid.....just the way it is. So I see more land being posted and more landowner and resident confrontations that the Game Commission will be required to respond to. And the compelling reason seems to be "well every other state does it". Not a reasoned response to effect change in my view.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearswampguy View Post
I do not support using semi's for any kind of game. It takes away the time honored tradition from hunting (where stealth and marksmanship were learned assets to ensure success.
??? How does a semi auto do that?

A semi auto rifle is no different than any other modern rifle. The person carrying the rifle provides the "stealth" and the "marksmanship".
stackbarrel likes this.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Duplicate thread.
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Last edited by casey; 11-13-2016 at 03:11 AM.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:32 AM

legal in 48 other States
stackbarrel likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearswampguy View Post
I do not support using semi's for any kind of game. It takes away the time honored tradition from hunting (where stealth and marksmanship were learned assets to ensure success. IMO it now becomes just shooting at an animal where a barrage of bullets is thought to be necessary to make up for one's inability to hit a target with consistency. Also, an inarguable fact is the more lead thrown out in the field increases the likelyhood of ricochets or errant rounds downrange due to unintended fire. Lastly, the majority of people in rural areas can accept the volley of fire from a current PA legal firearm, but become distraught when the rate of fire becomes rapid.....just the way it is. So I see more land being posted and more landowner and resident confrontations that the Game Commission will be required to respond to. And the compelling reason seems to be "well every other state does it". Not a reasoned response to effect change in my view.
Fortunately for us, the garden variety attitude reflected above is dying off.
With each passing year we make more progress pushing aside the stubborn and factually wrong.
I am looking forward to the day when the duplicitous, sanctimonious and curmudgeonly attitude, that has kept Pa. in the 19th century, is in the rear view mirror.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 06:42 PM

I don't think semi-autos belong in the deer woods. Right now it is unlawful to load more than 3 rounds in your AR if you're using a PGC range. Since that law is largely ignored, I think any hunting regulation would also be ignored.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page