Local Government strategies on handling feral cat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Local Government strategies on handling feral cat

If they even do it.. The catch, neuter, give rabies shots, and then release them back in the same spot they were caught. We are now starting to have Rabies increases in our county of Cumberland.. The local government where I live don't even set traps.. They leave it up to what I call the Cat Ladies in the area to catch them.. The one in our development does nothing.. So we have cats all over the place now.. As you know they do kill a lot of song birds and birds that eat insects... Local governments are doing nothing...Some of the ones that don't get the rabies shots are going to create a rabies epidemic .. Also you have people who mean well by feeding them on the outside.. In comes the skunks and coon to eat out of the dishes that can cause a epidemic of rabies..Plus just the catch and release is just not logcial to begin with in the first place.. Sometimes you wish a few coyotes would move into your development and clean house.. By the way I do like cats.. Cats that are taken care of in the house by their masters and don't let them roam... My daughter had a few and they act just like a dog if you get a smart one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Re: Local Government strategies on handling feral cat

This is a bad situation and I feel genuine sorrow for you and the folks in your community who understand the problem. Could you possibly contact the heath department and make a case that these animals are depositing fecal material all over the place and endangering childrens' health by pooping in playgrounds / sandboxes AND impacting the health of pregnant women? If you can sell the real world issues with them strays endangering the health of women and children this could go a long way against the cat lovers position. Just a thought. As a cat owner - my cat does not go outside. Also, the fact I have a cat in the house makes me clean the place at least 3 times a week. Hate cat odor and I know it can not be eliminated, but I control as best as I can.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:46 AM

You will never get local GOV. on your side the "cat ladies" are all powerful. Techinally it is illegal to release a cat into the wild - nothing is done to the trap + neuter crowd. I would get a live trap or two and trap them myself and take them to the shelter. I would not pay a dime to the shelter they are not my cats I'm just cleaning up after irresponsible owners !!!

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Icemole , the Humane Society in our area WILL NOT take any animals without the person dropping them off paying $60.00 . Even from my mother who always took them supplies on her own dime . They are ALL ABOUT the money . The only way I am told to take them to the H.S. is to drop them off in a box after hours .

The only organizations I know locally that truly help are Animal Rescue League of Pittsburgh and Rainbow Animal Clinic . Both have countless volunteers donating their time & money to address the problems .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage

When I was still in HS (over 50 years ago), my grandma had a stray cat take up residence under her front porch in Penbrook. It soon popped a litter of kittens, so she had an uncle crawl under there and gather the kittens.

When she called the local Humane Society about the kittens, she was informed it would cost her money for them to take the kittens "off her hands".

So, nothing much has changed in that regard, these days.

TNR is a joke and it only makes those who fret over feral cats, feel all warm and fuzzy that they are "doing something".

I still recall the time dozens of them (TNR cat ladies) showed up at a PGC/BOC meeting to rant about a proposed PGC crackdown on feral cats. Those I spoke with, struck me as space cadets, with little grasp of the reality of the damage feral cats can wreak.

Only way to effectively control feral cat populations, is to trap and euthanize them right then and there. Fine and dandy to vaccinate, neuter and release them - at least they won't transmit rabies or continue to breed - BUT they're still roaming free.

Unwanted cats roaming free, are a plague for wildlife and humans that have to deal with them. Especially when some dingbat feeds them, leading to large concentrations of ferals in a small area.

People (and local LE) won't put up with packs of feral dogs infesting a neighborhood, but when it comes to cats, suddenly there "is nothing that can be done".

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I contacted the Pa Department of Agriculture on 1 July asking that they put pressure on Lower Allen Township to do something.. Gov....They never responded to my email like they said they would... OK...Right there Gov's don't care.

I called Lower Allen Township months back and they told me to contact a local We love pets ogranzation the takes care of the feral cat program for them..
There response is that I was suppose to contact one of the Local cat ladies to set traps. They told me that I would be breaking the law if I set the box traps for the cats.. it has to be a CAT LADY! They suggested that buy all of this anti cat chemicals and devices to keep them off of my porch and out of my gardens.. Most that stuff doesn't work...I actually have small spikes sitting on my front porch chairs.. if I want to use the chairs I have to remove the spikes and put them back.. It takes a good 5 min to set them back up too..
So I go on the do gooders web site.. All they talk about is how they made money by people having fairs, bake sales, and how they all met and had a HOLDOWN to celebrate.. What a rip off of peoples money.. Almost sounds like the Clinton Foundation..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I was having a bit of a squirrel problem.. The squirrels were chewing all the plastic fence I placed around the yards. Recently with the cats on the increase on the property. old cats, young cats that seem alright not only killed the squirrels there are no longer any song birds visiting our yard... I have a problem with a rouge chuck that I can't even take care of because of the feral cats being on the property.. All the neighbors are starting to complain about them. Mainly because they are urinating on all their porches! Township don't care, cat people never try to catch them just try to collect money for their cause.. The neighborhood is no longer going to the dogs as they use to say it's The Neighborhood going to the cats!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Pa Department never did respond to my email about feral cats in my township...Governnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnment take a check but do nothing.. I can say that because I worked for the Government... Wow we had some bad employees!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 PM

You need to catch and release a few Coyotes in your development.They love stray cats.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 PM

Whisper Fusion....and of course S.S.S.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page