Crossbows are Done - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Crossbows are Done

New Bill Introduced for Airbows By Rep Mark Gergely .That will spell the end for crossbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Re: Crossbows are Done

No worries. This bill has been out there for awhile now. Basically it is the same bill as HB263 which legalizes air rifles and allows the PGC to regulate them. HB263 would legalize the "airbow", along with all air rifles, but the PGC would set regulations. The "airbow" bill does not mandate that airbows become legal to hunt with.

Now the "airbow" may become legal where air rifles are legal to use, but not in archery seasons.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM

Like when the legalization of crossbows spelled the end of recurve bows, longbows and compound bows?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM

It is NOT an airBOW...it's an airRIFLE.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I wondered how long it would take before this weapon would draw attention--well--not long.
I am old enough to remember the transition from self, long, recurve bows into the compound era.
Then we had the cross bow introduction into the season. I have ALWAYS advocated ALL three of these devices--why? Because all three devices use stored energy within the limbs thereby transfering that enegy through the string and into or, onto an arrow shaft. All of these devices--no matter how modern they have gotten through cams, wheels, high end sights, rests, cocked and locked, release aids, etc.--they all still have a set of limbs be it vertical or, horizontal and a string and or buss cable.
This new device named or labeled as "The-Air-Bow" is in fact an air rifle. It used a precharged cylinder storing compressed gas and has NO LIMBS and NO STRING. It is by definition NOT A BOW and by NO means is even remotely a device that should have the name "BOW" attached to it.
In the past with the changing world of archery there were folks on both sides of the fence when the compound bow came along. That same sentiment was present when crossbows were introduced. The thing is folks all of those devices as I have previously stated have "LIMBS" and "STRINGS". They by definition are archery devices. Even though time and technology have made them more modern with all of the high gadgets that we can attach to them--AGAIN I will state-the fact they have a set of limbs and a string defines them as a certain class of weapon.
The introduction of the "Air-Bow" is now where I draw thew line. If they want to allow this weapon in seasons defined as "RIFLE" and use it during our current two week "RIFLE" season it could very well be a little wedge to push for getting it legal in our archery seasons--NOW--I am not crying fowl here.
This may not happen.
In the past I have refrained from drawing a line with weapons. I always tried to advocate sharing and introducing folks to the sport of hunting. I have NEVER advocated for limiting the access and opportunity of others but, now I have drawn the line. I DO NOT want to EVER see this weapon gain ground and momentum to be introduced into our archery seasons and, I honestly believe in the future this could happen. I know--many who will read my post will say--You poor cry baby--your just crying fowl here. I am not--NO limbs--NO string--Its not an air bow--its an air rifle plain and simple.
Thanks for reading my post.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

In my long winded previous post--I realize that the idea of introducing this weapon into regular seasons is a long stretch of the imagination at this point. This I get--with new ideas and concepts come ideas of introducing such weapons into the mix of our hunting seasons--no matter how far off this may be.
If a guy like me (everyday working class schmuck) is thinking about the ramifications of such a weapon I am sure that others are thinking about it also.
I guess in short my thoughts are simple--this weapon should have a VERY defined name--AIR RIFLE.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:54 PM
The Man

What's the effective range of one of these ?
If it's the same as a crossbow or a compound I am not totally sure where its best fit would be.
Yes it doesn't have a string but at the same time it doesn't have to be drawn in the presence of game and is shouldered just like a crossbow.
It doesn't have limbs like a compound but the vert limbs on a compound really are not much of a factor, especially from a tree stand.
When you combined the advantages of a compound and crossbow it becomes a wash in regards to an airbow.
It still shoots an arrow it just doesn't have a string or limbs and if the effective range is the same as both than should it really not ever be taken into consideration when it comes to archery ?
Not saying I want them to be included, I just don't understand the importance of having to have a string and limbs when the other two clearly have their own advantages.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:04 PM
The Man

What do you mean the limbs aren't much of a factor on a compound?
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter
What do you mean the limbs aren't much of a factor on a compound?
Limbs have never been much of an issue for me with my compound. I can shoot seated or standing with no issues.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curverbowruss
I guess in short my thoughts are simple--this weapon should have a VERY defined name--AIR RIFLE.
Yep. I consider it an air rifle that shoots arrows, as do most folks.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page