MEMORANDUM

Posted:
January 5, 2016 03:46 PM

Senator Mario Scavello

To:
All Senate members

Subject:
Leashed Tracking Dogs

In the near future, I plan to introduce legislation amending the Pennsylvania Game Code, providing an exemption to allow for the use of a leashed tracking dog to track white-tailed deer to assist in recovering an animal which has been legally harvested or wounded.

Currently under the Pennsylvania Game Code, it is unlawful for any person to make use of a dog in any manner to hunt or take big game, other than wild turkey during the fall season, or to permit a dog under a person’s ownership or control to pursue big game. It is important to note that this legislation would not change this prohibition, rather it would assist in the tracking of the harvested game.

As sportsmen know, it can sometimes be very difficult to track a wounded or harvested deer that may have traveled some distance, especially in areas of varied terrain or when weather conditions are poor. The use of properly trained and controlled tracking dogs can prove instrumental in recovering a mortally wounded animal, and greatly decrease the chances of leaving deceased white-tailed deer unrecovered in our Commonwealth’s woods and wild lands. This simple and humane proposed change in the law will be of great benefit to both our sporting community and one of our most valued natural resources, the white-tailed deer.

The use of leashed tracking dogs are allowed in approximately 35 states, six of which surround Pennsylvania. Please join me in co-sponsoring this important legislation which allows Pennsylvania hunters access to the same ethical game recovery tool that most of the nation’s hunters already have.

If you have any questions regarding this legislation, please contact Christine Zubeck in my office at 717-787-6123 or [email protected]. Thank you for your consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 PM
The Man

Re: Leashed Tracking Dogs

I actually got an email back from one if them the other day (may have been him) saying that legislation was being drafted to allow this. This was after I emailed all of them saying we needed it.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 PM

I can't for the life of me understand why bills like this have run into so much opposition. It is a no brainer. There are supposedly pro hunting legislators that oppose these type bills.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
I can't for the life of me understand why bills like this have run into so much opposition. It is a no brainer. There are supposedly pro hunting legislators that oppose these type bills.
I sure hope this will gain some traction. No reason not to have it in PA.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 AM
The Man

I don't understand why more people aren't proactive with these things. On the Facebook hunting pages you see people giving illegal advice to track deer with dogs all of the time. Then they get mad if you tell them it is illegal. In the same amount of time it took to give the illegal advice and to complain about your advice, they could have emailed legislators to support it becoming legal.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 AM

i dont need my dog often but I am color blind and i will use him if needed ..be nice if this went threw..
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage

Much of the opposition for blood tracking dogs, stems from the same mindset that opposes change, period.

Like opposition towards MYH, more youth seasons, additional SH, use of semi-autos, air rifles and so on, it just comes naturally to some people to oppose anything different than what we've had here in PA.

Even if such things have been the norm elsewhere for years and considered perfectly acceptable.

If "we didn't have it here - we don't need it", is the response I've heard numerous times over the years when discussing such issues.

Several years ago at a meeting in Johnstown, Andy Bensing came with his blood tracking dog and a discussion was had outside during a break.

More than one person expressed opposition to the idea of allowing dogs to assist in finding wounded big game, claiming it was just an excuse to let dogs "run down" deer.

I pointed out Andy's dog, which IIRC weighs about 15-20lbs, as they were standing right next to us. Asked the loudest opponent of tracking dogs, how many dogs that size, would be needed to "run down" a deer.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Regular Visitor

So are these owners actually going to keep their dogs on a leash while tracking the wounded whitetail or let em off the leash to chase other deer besides the wounded deer.Isnt there a law on the books about dogs chasing deer.?
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
To:
All Senate members

Subject:
LEASHED Tracking Dogs

In the near future, I plan to introduce legislation amending the Pennsylvania Game Code, providing an exemption to allow for the use of a LEASHED tracking dog to track white-tailed deer to assist in recovering an animal which has been legally harvested or wounded.
There, perhaps this will help?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 AM
Regular Visitor

Thanks but you know the hunter is gonna let his dog off the leash come on were talking Pa. here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page