Doe tag with license purchase - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Doe tag with license purchase

Why not just sell a buck tag and a doe tag with regular license purchase? Doe tag is good for any where in the state just like the buck tag.
Cut the wmu tags down use just as bonus. Add 10-15$ to the price and save a lot of stupid waistful steps in time and money.
Or cut the wmu tags out entirely and damp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Doe tag with license purchase

And how would you propose they portion the antlerless tags to levels that yield the intended harvest? Yeah, I know.....the PGC "makes up" harvest data. That's a whole other discussion. The point is, they issue the tags as they do so they can "throttle" how many tags go where.

How could that be done in this scenario?

That's why we have antler point restrictions....because that was a clear, simple way to limit buck harvest without making it a drawing to get a buck tag. Imagine if that had been done....wow.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 PM

Either sex tag with license...use dmap to further manage the does...

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

But again, that puts 750,000 (give or take) doe licenses out in circulation that could be used anywhere, regardless of management goals.

Where I hunt, I don't always see deer, but seeing 4-8 deer a day is not anything to take much note of, and 20 a day isn't at all unheard of. Even in flintlock season.

Other areas, people hunt all through all the seasons and don't see 20 deer total. Issuing statewide doe tags will simply muddy those waters farther.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 PM

Not really. Anyone who harvests a buck in archery is out. At least 150,000 hunters have no desire to shoot a doe period. Several thousand hunters would pass doe on that tag to hunt for a buck til the last minute then fail to fill it at all. A few thousand would pass on doe to be able to hunt flintlock. A hundred thousand or so never fill a tag, due to very limited time, a crappy spot, or jack daniels....so fewer would be killed on an either sex tag than now. When the hunter shoots a doe, he cant shoot a buck, thus leveling the buck-doe ratio.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Tdd I said use the wmu tags for making up the doe quota they want or damp tags.
The area I hunt in Ohio I can get a buck tag and 2 either sex tags which I can kill2 doe. Over the counter. Other areas you can only get one either sex tag. One doe in that area
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:56 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Guys, my point isn't what WILL be killed, it's that issuing a statewide doe tag with every license purchase effectively issues 3/4 of a million tags that CAN be used to harvest a doe anywhere. What happens with those tags is not able to be controlled. That's the point to the WMU system where there are quotas to the tags based on regional management goals. Going to statewide antlerless tags undoes that.

Whether that's a good or bad idea is another topic, but issuing said tags creates that scenario....all those tags are eligible for use as doe tags, and what gets used...and where it gets used....is completely uncontrolled.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Part of the Community

I sure am glad that the PGC hasn't spent hundreds of thousands of sportsmen's dollars on research into deer management over the past hundred years. What a waste of time and money they made by learning biology, geography, habitat management, math, electronics and statistics. Gee, all we needed to do was ask you all, who spend thirty or forty hours a year actually in the woods. What would work best to manage the entire state's worth of animals (yes, there are other animals in the woods besides deer) not to mention all the other subjects mentioned above. What a dumb idea, thinking that years of continuing research and political compromise might actually produce the stated and intended results. Really fellows, go back and reread the original and updated intentions of the programs you are talking about. The goals are a compromise between all the parties involved. If you are dissatisfied, attend the advisory meeting and voice your desires. Just remember, you might be in the minority.

Integrity is doing the right thing...even when no one is watching. C.S.Lewis
It's hip to be square. Huey Lewis
"Lady" Jerry Lewis
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
Guys, my point isn't what WILL be killed, it's that issuing a statewide doe tag with every license purchase effectively issues 3/4 of a million tags that CAN be used to harvest a doe anywhere. What happens with those tags is not able to be controlled. That's the point to the WMU system where there are quotas to the tags based on regional management goals. Going to statewide antlerless tags undoes that.

Whether that's a good or bad idea is another topic, but issuing said tags creates that scenario....all those tags are eligible for use as doe tags, and what gets used...and where it gets used....is completely uncontrolled.
This just made me think of something wild. How about a single wmu specific buck tag. That would get people fired up. Make it a system like the doe tags or a lottery like elk. Might as well manage the bucks as well since the buck tags are uncontrollable as to where they will get used.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Part of the Community

If my memory serves me correctly.....lol.....sometimes it doesn't, but in years gone by you actually were eligible to
harvest a doe with your regular license during archery season, provided you had a archery tag. You were eligible to harvest either a doe or buck during archery season as well as flintlock (you still can during that season). I am not sure what year they stopped providing that choice and that was the only deer you were allowed to harvest that year. Buck.....doe your choice. Ah......times gone by

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page