PA Blue Laws - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PA Blue Laws

http://wnep.com/2015/11/11/repealing...nia-blue-laws/

DICKSON CITY -- There are laws several hundred years old on the books in Pennsylvania that are quite the head-scratchers.

That's why lawmakers are working to repeal some of those laws, nicknamed "blue laws."

"It's a very old law that dates back to people resting on Sunday and people going to church on Sundays," said Casey Medeiros, who works at the family Gibbons Ford dealership in Dickson City.

One of the blue laws still on the books is that car dealerships cannot sell cars on Sunday.

"You can't finalize any paperwork or anything dated for a Sunday," added Medeiros.

Some customers like the idea of browsing the dealership lot alone on a Sunday. Medeiros understands that, but at some point, she believes dealerships need to be given that option of selling cars on "the day of rest."

"It's such a growing business. It's growing so fast," explained Medeiros. "I think it's just crazy there's still one day a week we can't do business."

Even though you can't buy a car on Sundays, you can buy a motorcycle.

Not that it matters though -- when you ask Bob Fitzpatrick how many motorcycles he's sold at his shop in Dickson City on a Sunday in the last few years, it doesn't take him long to add them up.

"I think a lot of people come in here surprised on a Sunday that we sell anything other than t-shirts and parts on a Sunday," said Fitzpatrick, the general manager of Rummel Harley Davidson in Dickson City. "Most of the time they're not even aware that there's a sales person available for them."

Fitzpatrick's Harley dealership has offices in four states. And Pennsylvania does significantly worse on Sundays than every other state; a problem Fitzpatrick blames on the outdated and irrational blue laws.

"If people knew cars would be sold, then people would understand that it's possible to buy a vehicle on a Sunday," said Fitzpatrick. "And I think we would have proportionality more business on a Sunday than we normally have."

Don't expect that blue law to change anytime soon because no one in Harrisburg is calling for an appeal. And many car dealership owners we spoke with admit the law is a blessing in disguise because it gives employees one day every week to truly unwind.

But there is one blue law that could change, which brings us to state representative Frank Farina of Lackawanna County.

In a long list of failed Sunday hunting bills before him, Representative Farina's name comes up as the most recent one to try to repeal that ban.

"There's a lot of misconceptions to it," said Farina.

As Farina explained to us at a shooting range in Wyoming County, it is illegal to hunt for deer, turkeys and many other animals on Sundays.

"A lot of people say the animals need a rest," he added. "I don't know an animal that goes by a calendar. There is a lot of ridiculousness to it."

Even more ridiculous when you learn that it is already legal to hunt for coyotes, crows and foxes on Sundays.

"Last weekend I traveled to New York hunting for ducks and if you couldn't hunt Sundays, you wouldn't go," explained Farina. "What are you going to do on Sunday? People are spending a lot of money to go out there and to have to sacrifice one day, you just wouldn't do it."

The missed out revenue of Sunday hunting is staggering according to Farina's research: $800 million in total. Money he argued the state needs now more than ever.

Farina's bill currently sits in a committee in Harrisburg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 PM

Re: PA Blue Laws

Farina and myself were e-mailing back and forth and I called B.S. on his 800 million and show me how the Commonwealth was losing that much for a handful of Sundays. Never did get a reply on his 800 million, think he just copied it off of Kathy Davis and Dutch.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 PM

Even though I am a supporter of this bill, the money angle is B S. So much more real world factually based information out there to support a regulatory transfer instead of pie in the sky numbers.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a different point of view on the issue than dpms, but have respect for him, for thinking with common sense. The money thing is crap, we all know that. But a lot of the points are valid, on both sides. Leave out the stuff that just tries to get peoples ears perked up. The pro side always seems to go back to the increased revenue, the no SH side always seems to go for the safety issue. Which anyone who can think for themselves know are both NON-issues, and basically untrue.

Not sure about anyone else, but someone telling me a half truth, or not telling me the whole story, kind of insults my intelligence, and makes me lose respect for that person.(most of the time, the person in questions, usually has a "R" or a "D" behind their name)
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Regular Visitor

Also, if Farina is going to play the money card....wouldn't he have to have an account for the number of hikers, bikers, birdwatchers, etc. who might now not travel/eat out/buy stuff on Sundays to do their thing because they know hunters would be in the woods? Maybe $800 million would be generated by hunters, but the state loses $900 million through the other people staying home, and therefore realizes a net loss of $100 million by adding Sunday hunting. (I have no idea if that's the case, nor do I care what birdwatchers do on Sundays....but if you are going to open up the "economic impact" can, then you have to dump everything out.)
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 PM

Its all B.S.from the monies it was going to generate to the thousands of jobs it was going to create for a handful of more days hunting.It was a Sunday hunting thing period. All B.S. and Farino being a Politician is full of it.

post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually the article was wrong. The range he was shooting at was in Susquehanna County, not Wyoming. He's a member at Rock Mountain Sporting Clays.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Sage

Southwick is one source of the potential for increased revenue from additional SH in PA.

They are fairly well respected as an entity that gathers such info for a number of agencies/orgs that want answers to such things.

http://sundayhunting.org/pdf/pasunda...uthwickrpt.pdf

The NRA, NSSF and United States Sportsmen's Alliance (USSA) have also had similar research done in supporting additional SH in other states like VA, for example.

Everyone else accepts that hunting is responsible for billions of dollars of commerce in the USA each year.

Money spent for licenses/permits, firearms, ammo, hunting clothes/accesories, hunting leases and so on. Added to that, are monies spent locally when hunters travel to camps and hunting areas, buying food, gas, lodging, etc.

The former owner of a large hardware store/gun shop/hunting emporium near my camp, told me years ago that he normally made between 1/4 and 1/3 of his annual income from hunters, most of whom came to the area each fall.

Pretty much follows that local stores and restaurants were in the same "boat", as far as enjoying some additional income from hunters each fall.

So would an extra few weekend days make a difference as to whether or not hunters came to rural areas more often, or stayed longer than they do now in PA? I would say yes.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:37 AM

That's pretty peculiar after HR/AR was put in stores in Tionesta area were closing. Camps were not being utilized like they were with 2 weeks buck then 3 day doe season.Were talking 800 million here in this state alone with thousands of jobs created by this your pretty close to 1 billion already just with an additional 16 Sundays included. Sorry I aint buying into this 1 its [censored] in its purest form. What the heck is Sheets convienance store gonna do hire 10 more employees per store because of Sunday hunting I don't think so DennyF.Your paragraph with guns ,ammo, licenses and the such aren't creating jobs their there already. Look Farina just wants to be the Knight on the white horse trying to get this passed. Never met a politician that did,nt [censored] or lie a lot and Im sure Farina is in this same category with the rest of the Politicians. Get a budget passed first then worry about this other crap.

post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are correct Denny, the revenue will increase. But if you break it down to the common person that will hunt Sundays, for every extra dollar he spend up at the hardware store upstate, someone else is losing that dollar. Might be the local eatery downstate where he would spend his Sunday if he couldn't hunt.

If SH ever comes about, it doesn't mean every hunter gets an extra bunch of money to spend on hunting. It means if they want to, they can. But if you make 50K a year, you don't make 51K when they allow SH. So for every establishment that gains from SH, there will be one that loses as well. It's a moot point. If you want to break it down further, why is money becoming a factor in making hunting decisions??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page