Concealed carryin the woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Concealed carryin the woods

Can a game warden insist on a body search or make a person with a concealed carry permit produce his handgun for no good reason other than harassment while the person is hunting or just walking in the woods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:52 PM
The Man

Re: Concealed carryin the woods

I know they can request to see your carry permit. Pretty sure they can ask for the firearm as well. For instance, carrying a handgun while archery hunting. It's legal but my understanding is that it needs to be a carry weapon. Not like a scoped t/c encore handgun with a scope. To me it's reasonable for them to check the type of handgun.
If you're just out walking, I'm not too sure what the legality of just approaching and asking for that stuff. They would need some probable cause.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I may be wrong but if you are stopped by law enforcement don't you have to announce that you are carrying concealed??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pennsylvania is not a must inform state.

If they notice you are carrying concealed they have a right to ask to see your license, because you need a license to concealed.

Are you really old enough to remember when there were huntable numbers of deer on public land?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Sage

901. Powers and duties of enforcement officers.

(a) Powers.--Any officer whose duty it is to enforce this title or any officer investigating any alleged violation of this title shall have the power and duty to:

(8) Conduct administrative inspections of persons, licenses and permits, firearms, ammunition and other implements of taking,

wmu 3A
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"Conduct administrative inspections of <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">persons, licenses and permits, firearms, ammunition and other implements of taking.</span></span>

I read the above statement pertaining to guns, ammo, permits, etc... <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">for taking</span></span> (taking or hunting of game) and a CCW auto is not germain to that.

That is like a LEO stopping you on the street, just to make sure you have a valid drivers license. Can he do that without just cause?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

The Right to Bear Arms is a RIGHT.

carrying a Firearm Concealed is a PRIVELEGE granted by the State subejct to regs you agreed upon when you obtained your LTCF.

A law officer can check you and your weapon out anywhere, anytime he/she desires.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD1969
The Right to Bear Arms is a RIGHT.

carrying a Firearm Concealed is a PRIVELEGE granted by the State subejct to regs you agreed upon when you obtained your LTCF.

A law officer can check you and your weapon out anywhere, anytime he/she desires.
I agree that it is a privilege to have a LTCF, but I disagree with your last sentence. My understanding is that you LTCF must be produced upon lawful demand of an officer. Demanding or forcing you to show them your CC weapon without cause is not lawful. I would think that would be an unlawful search, even if it is my person they are searching.

I would like to see the regs you mention that state I must show a LEO my firearm at any point in time which they so choose.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:08 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I mostly open carry and have been for 3 years now. I've been stopped 3 times and asked to produce ID. Open carry is a bit different than concealed where a LTCF is concerned. Outside of Philly you dont need a LTCF for open carry. You do need one in a vehicle, State of Emergency.. etc.

My response to the officers that have asked me to produce ID is the same every time. Am I the suspect of a crime? Do you have reasonable suspicion that I have or am about to commit a crime? Their answer has always been no and my ID has never been shown in these cases.

Catch Photo Release
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
I know they can request to see your carry permit. Pretty sure they can ask for the firearm as well. For instance, carrying a handgun while archery hunting. It's legal but my understanding is that it needs to be a carry weapon. Not like a scoped t/c encore handgun with a scope. To me it's reasonable for them to check the type of handgun.
If you're just out walking, I'm not too sure what the legality of just approaching and asking for that stuff. They would need some probable cause.
There is no legal definition of a "carry weapon". Your LTCF allows you to carry a "firearm" as defined by the Crimes Code. If I'm archery hunting and carrying a handgun with a scope, I'm still covered. It's my choice as to what I want to carry. So they would have no legal basis to "check my firearm" since I am not using it to hunt. A revolver, semi-auto or scoped handgun, all are covered.

And during regular gun season, I can legally carry a semi-auto handgun (in conjunction with my LTCF), I just can't use it to hunt or put down game. Again, there would be no legal basis to check my firearm.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page