HB 1048 Add WCO's (Fish&Game) To Heart Lung Law - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Sage

HB 1048 Add WCO's (Fish&Game) To Heart Lung Law

House Bill 1048

Short Title:
An Act amending the act of June 28, 1935 (P.L.477, No.193), referred to as the Enforcement Officer Disability Benefits Law, extending benefits to certain employees of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission; and making editorial changes.

Prime Sponsor: Representative HARKINS

Last Action:
Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES, April 27, 2015 [House]

Memo:
Legislation Providing Additional Benefits to Enforcement Officers and Investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...e=B&bn=1048

Click highest printer # for most current text.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Re: HB 1048 Add WCO's (Fish&Game) To Heart Lung Law

MEMORANDUM

Posted:
February 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Representative Patrick Harkins

To:
All House members

Subject:
Legislation Providing Additional Benefits to Enforcement Officers and Investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

In the near future, I will be re-introducing legislation (House Bill 1345) that would amend the Enforcement Officer Disability Benefits Law of 1935, more commonly known as the Heart and Lung Act, to add enforcement officers and investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission to those employees covered under the act.

As you may know, employees covered under the Heart and Lung Act receive compensation, including full wage replacement and paid medical expenses, if they are injured while performing their official duties. It is my understanding that certain employees, such as state and local police and sheriffs, are covered under the act because they provide an important public service that can sometimes cause them harm.

While there certainly may be other employees performing valuable public services left out of the act, one group of employees that I believe should be added to those covered under the act are enforcement officers and investigators of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. In the performance of their duties, these employees sometimes find themselves in volatile situations where the individual they encounter may be carrying a knife or firearm.

In an effort to better protect these employees while serving the public, the legislation that I will be re-introducing would add “any enforcement officer or investigator of the Pennsylvania Game Commission or the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission” to the list of employees covered by this act. By including these individuals, we will be affording them comparable benefits to others charged with the responsibility of enforcing the laws of our Commonwealth.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=17111

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Long over due to pass the legislature.

They should name this bill the WCO David Grove Memorial Bill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
In an effort to better protect these employees while serving the public,
How about protecting the public that pay the taxes that support the often times bloated pensions and health benefits of public sector workers that are driving many state and local governments to the brink of bankruptcy

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Quote:
How about protecting the public that pay the taxes that support the often times bloated pensions and health benefits of public sector workers that are driving many state and local governments to the brink of bankruptcy
This has nothing to do with pensions, which by the way WCO's pay into and do not have the L.E. Retirement, WCOs must currently work until they are at least 60 years old. Now on topic..

Currently if a WCO is hurt on the job he can get workmans comp, during that time you must pay all your out of pocket deductions on health care and insurance, At the one year mark if you cannot come back you lose your health care for you and your family the only thing covered is your on the job injury. At the two year mark if you still cannot return you are retired at half of your wages and no health coverage for you and your family. Most WCO make between 40 to 50 thousand a year. So a WCO that is injured in the line of duty is medically retired for 20 to 25 thousand a year, no health benefits and cannot work. I was out for an on the job injury at one time for almost a year, I almost lost everything.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.J
Quote:
Quote:
This has nothing to do with pensions, which by the way WCO's pay into and do not have the L.E. Retirement, WCOs must currently work until they are at least 60 years old. Now on topic..

You missed my point. It is time for politicians to work towards doing something positive for the taxpaying private sector to help ease their burdens through their working years and on into retirement. Instead of placing so much emphasis these days on pumping up unions, bolstering retirement benefits for public sector workers that are not sustainable, and prolonging a dependence of govt which is supported by taxpaying private sector workers. All of which are bankrupting this country.

Because another public sector worker gets one thing, that should not make it automatic that another gets the same benefits if the country, states, school districts, and local govts are going bankrupt.

Sorry, but the taxpaying private sector entities are fed up with giving more to the public sector when it is the public sector killing all of us.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You missed my point. It is time for politicians to work towards doing something positive for the taxpaying private sector to help ease their burdens through their working years and on into retirement. Instead of placing so much emphasis these days on pumping up unions, bolstering retirement benefits for public sector workers that are not sustainable, and prolonging a dependence of govt which is supported by taxpaying private sector workers. All of which are bankrupting this country.

Because another public sector worker gets one thing, that should not make it automatic that another gets the same benefits if the country, states, school districts, and local govts are going bankrupt.

Sorry, but the taxpaying private sector entities are fed up with giving more to the public sector when it is the public sector killing all of us.
So because the private sector isn't getting it the public sector shouldn't either?
When I left the private sector I was laughed at by fellow employees because I was taking such a pay cut, It has taken me 15 years to get back to where I was when I left the private sector. I as well as many public employees saw the writing on the wall that the glut of private sector making money hands over fist wouldn't last forever, You never get rich working the public sector, It goes right back to the tortoise and the hare. BTW us public employees pay taxes also. but once again we are off topic.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Not really off topic because the topic is about a bill that could be voted on by our elected officials. We can support, oppose, or stand by and do nothing. I have expressed my views on public sector benefits and how we pay for them moving forward. You have expressed your views.

I will oppose the bill. You will probably support it. Each for our own reasons. Others may do the same.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

State Correctional Officers and State probation officers are covered under the heart and lung act. but county correctional officers and county probation officers are not covered either.

I personally know several officers on each side that have lost their jobs due to work related injuries and could not return to work with in that two year period, they lost everything and still cant work.

living on disability.

ALL law enforcement and first responders should be covered as well.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This has nothing to do with someone getting any sort of great benefits b/c someone else has it. This is ensuring that when an officer is injured in the line of duty they are taken care of and provided with what they need to continue taking care of their family. We're not talking about giving no someone a bloated pension or an undeserved pension.

For what it's worth, I think your remarks are off base and clouded by your resentment for all things public servant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page