Frye: Pennsylvania Game Commission board president - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Frye: Pennsylvania Game Commission board president

Dave Putnam wants to be ready.
The state Legislature is considering bills that would legalize air rifles and semiautomatic firearms for hunting in Pennsylvania.
The air rifle bill would remove the prohibition on such weapsons' use. It would leave it up to the commission to decide the seasons and species for which they would be legal and what minimum calibers might be required.
The bills regarding semiautomatics — there are several — would do anything from remove the prohibition on their use to specify what they could be used to hunt and how many shells could be in a magazine at any time.
Putnam, president of the Pennsylvania Game Commission board, expects to hear more about them from lawmakers and sportsmen. So he asked commission staff to provide recommendations where it might go if any bills become law.
This past week, Tom Grohol, director of the bureau of wildlife protection, the agency's law enforcement arm, provided some answers.
In short — to his own surprise — he sees potential in the case of air rifles.
“At first glance, I thought no way,” Grohol said. “But after I looked at it a little bit, there are some opportunities there, I think.”
Only two states, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, prohibit their use for hunting. Most allow them to be used for small game, though some permit big-game hunting with air rifles, too, he added.
He doesn't see a big demand there. Big-game air rifles can cost $1,000 or more and have to be filled by the same kind of compressor that scuba divers use on their tanks, he said.
That likely would keep a lot of people from wanting to use those, he said, but air rifles capable of taking small game might be more popular.
If there's one oddity about air rifles, Grohol said, it's that while they're classified as “firearms” by Title 34 regulation, the wildlife code, they're not considered that way under state law.
The one thing that means is that a convicted felon who's not allowed to hunt with a firearm could hunt with an air rifle, he said.
No matter what, Putnam said, the commission should have a plan in mind should lawmakers act.
“If the Legislature authorizes this, we need to be ready to react,” Putnam said.
Grohol was less enthusiastic about the possibilities for semiautomatic rifles. He's not familiar with the various bills that would legalize them, he said.
“But my first impression is, I'd be a little hesitant about (them),” he said.
There might be some interest among sportsmen, though. At their recent convention, members of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs voted to support a bill that would allow semiautomatics to be used for hunting groundhogs and coyotes.
Pennsylvania again is one of just two states — Delaware is the other — that prohibits hunting with semiautomatic rifles.
Grohol said he'd have to do some more investigation before he could give commissioners a recommendation on those kinds of bills.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/...#ixzz3WOvTEANz
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Re: Frye: Pennsylvania Game Commission board president

Quote:
Grohol was less enthusiastic about the possibilities for semiautomatic rifles. He's not familiar with the various bills that would legalize them, he said.
“But my first impression is, I'd be a little hesitant about (them),” he said.
There might be some interest among sportsmen, though. At their recent convention, members of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs voted to support a bill that would allow semiautomatics to be used for hunting groundhogs and coyotes.
Pennsylvania again is one of just two states — Delaware is the other — that prohibits hunting with semiautomatic rifles.
Grohol said he'd have to do some more investigation before he could give commissioners a recommendation on those kinds of bills.
A little hesitant about them? We already allow them in our heaviest hunted and highest populated areas of the state to hunt deer with unlimited magazine capacity. The ultimate litmus test is in front of him.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM
JGR

He also said “At first glance, I thought no way,” Grohol said. “But after I looked at it a little bit, there are some opportunities there, I think.” So after he learns the facts, as he did with air guns, he may well change his mind regarding the semi issue.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR
He also said “At first glance, I thought no way,” Grohol said. “But after I looked at it a little bit, there are some opportunities there, I think.” So after he learns the facts, as he did with air guns, he may well change his mind regarding the semi issue.

You would think the man would not have to research the issue too much so since they have been legal for big game in our heaviest hunted and most populated areas of the state for a very long time.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM
JGR

I agree. I don't know the man and don't want to put words in his mouth but maybe he's hesitant because of the statewide education of the issue to officers? Or the general public? Or maybe some other issue? Without him saying why it's just conjecture on our parts.
But starting from "no way" and ending up at "opportunities there" is a lot bigger leap than starting from "a little hesitant" to ending at the same conclusion.
Especially since I think our biggest hurdle would be the Governor signing off on it at this time.

JR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR

You would think the man would not have to research the issue too much so since they have been legal for big game in our heaviest hunted and most populated areas of the state for a very long time.
With projectiles more dangerous than rifle bullets according to there own survey...

But, some of them look scary, and we have always done it this way...

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage

Got on the internet in 2001. One of the first sites I posted on regularly, was Shooters dot com (no longer exists), then one of the larger shooting/hunting sites. Members from all states, Canada, Australia, NZ and many other countries.

One of the first guys I struck up a regular online friendship with there, had lived in SC for years, but was from PA. He hunted in several southern states for deer, turkey, feral hogs and small game.

Can still recall the time back then, when he and others were talking about hunting with ARs, AKs and other semis and I joked that they were not legal firearms in PA. He got it, being from here.

The rest were astounded at the news. Especially that us poor dumbies in PA couldn't even shoot squirrles with 1022s. General consensus was that PA must be a nest of backward dimbulbs?

Fourteen years later and the "news" that semi rifles are not legal here, still generates similar comments from those in other states.

Pretty much the same reactions on our limited SH, short (by comparison) hunting seasons and the use of modern air rifles, come ta think of it?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page