MEMORANDUM

Posted:
January 26, 2015 02:59 PM

Representative Jesse Topper

To:
All House members

Subject:
Re-introduction of "Road Killed Deer" - Prior HB 2442

In the near future, I will re-introduce legislation (prior HB 2442) that seeks to amend Title 34 (Game and Wildlife Code), and Title 75 (Vehicles) of the PA Consolidated Statutes to place in statute the responsibilities for removal of road killed deer from Commonwealth roadways.

It is my understanding that currently the responsibility for removal of road killed deer remaining on the roadway lies with the entity that controls the roadway in question, although there are no specific requirements in statute. For state controlled roadways, that entity is the PA Department of Transportation (PennDOT). For local or non-state roadways, the responsibility lies with the local municipality. Many municipalities will contract with a private company or individual to remove deer.

Strangely enough, the PA Game Commission (PGC) currently has no responsibility in this regard. However, the PGC does lend a hand at times to remove deer if they have the personnel available. With local and state budgets getting tighter and municipalities cutting spending, this is one function of government that has been cut in some areas of the state. Most constituents do not know who to call to report road killed deer, and there is even confusion among the state agencies on the issue. I believe it is finally time to define in statute whose responsibility it actually is to remove these deer from our roadways.

Under my legislation, the PGC would be responsible to remove road killed deer from all roadways except those under the jurisdiction of PennDOT within 48 hours of notification. For PennDOT controlled roadways, the responsibility would continue to lie with PennDOT, and they would be required to remove deer within 48 hours of notification. PennDOT would also be required to properly dispose of the carcasses under the guidance of the PGC. Local municipalities would then no longer have to deal with removal of road killed deer.

As elected officials, many of us receive calls and complaints about road killed deer not being picked up on a regular basis. I believe this proposal would once and for all properly address the problems and responsibilities related to dealing with road killed deer.

Please join me in cosponsoring this important piece of legislation.

Prior cosponsors: V. BROWN, CAUSER , COHEN , D. COSTA, FLECK , GINGRICH , McCARTER, MURT , READSHAW , SANKEY, WATSON , YOUNGBLOOD and DeLUCA

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...pe=B&bn=428
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Re: HB 428 Road Killed Deer

Maybe the PGC should be responsible for plowing the roads as well. And McDonald's and Burger King should pay for litter clean up.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Well, I'm kind of on the fence with the entire isue I guess. I know it serves nobody very well, to have a stinking, bloated, rotting, animal in front of somebody's home, or apartment complex, etc... PGC "kind of" ? is tasked with looking after the rumens when they are on the hoof ? Can't necessarily kick 'em to the curb (pun) when they are off their hooves. Add to that, not all municipality law enforcement are equipped to perform the service. Not all have SUV's with racks, etc... I guess local road crews can pitch in, but don't they also have other tasks to perform.

All in all, I reckon I'm quite ok with the cat's proposal.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It would be going back in time. The size of municipal road crews and PennDot versus the size of the PGC staff makes it obvious why the PGC is no longer the primary agency.

I miss my hunting partner
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM

Again, I think the proposed "mix" seems appropriate ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Simple solution. If the PGC is responsible, appropriate tax dollars used for roadways in the different municipalities should be given to the game commission. The roadways and tax-paying drivers are the ones causing the issue, not the PGC, so they should fit the bill. After all, they put the road there. Or, maybe the costs should be billed to the insurance companies since their drivers cause the damage much like that of if a driver damages property. The total of the costs could be split amongst all companies that provide insurance to PA residents based on the number of insurers that they cover out of the total pool.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Surprised that these legislators aren't trying to get the deer crossing signs moved to safer location..LOL

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM

Might be a job opportunity as the GC personnel usually aren't authorized overtime after 40 hours a week. Someone would have to work the weekends and holidays. If the GC personnel have to do it how big of an area would they cover ? 4-6 counties? Would be cheaper to have a contract with someone in each county for that work.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47studebaker
Might be a job opportunity as the GC personnel usually aren't authorized overtime after 40 hours a week. Someone would have to work the weekends and holidays. If the GC personnel have to do it how big of an area would they cover ? 4-6 counties? Would be cheaper to have a contract with someone in each county for that work.
Not sure where you got the idea that theres no overtime after 40 hours a week. Nothing could be further from the truth. WCO's work weekends and holidays, Floating schedule and a bank of OT plus call outs and assigned ot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page