Proposed Senate Bill 374 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Proposed Senate Bill 374

Posted: January 26, 2015 03:55 PM
To: All Senate members
Subject: Reduce Reporting Time for Big Game

In the near future, I will be introducing legislation to reduce the reporting time for big game kills from 10 days to 24 hours to aid in the deer management process throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Currently, each licensed person who kills any big game shall, immediately after the killing and before removing the big game from the location of the killing, fully complete the proper game kill tag in compliance with the instructions printed on the tag and attach only the game kill tag to the big game. The attached kill tag shall remain on the big game until such time as the big game is processed for consumption or prepared for mounting.

In any year in which the Pennsylvania Game Commission establishes check stations, each person shall, within 24 hours after killing any big game, present the big game for examination and tagging. Currently the law states that within 10 days of the kill, the person shall report the killing of big game as required in the manner or methods prescribed by the Commission.

My legislation would propose that the reporting time for big game be changed from 10 days to 24 hours.

BobB
WMU2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Proposed Senate Bill 374

Not that it really impacts me much, as I've actually reported some of my kills before I even left the woods (using my iphone) with the deer, but what possible purpose does this serve?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

TDD,
I'm wondering about the phrase at the beginning of the 3rd paragraph: "In any year in which the PGC establishes check stations"....
Is this primarily for the CWD areas? Like you, I'm wondering what the ultimate aim of this legislation may be.

BobB
WMU2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 01:45 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
Not that it really impacts me much, as I've actually reported some of my kills before I even left the woods (using my iphone) with the deer, but what possible purpose does this serve?
I agree, what purpose?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM

24 hours ?? really makes it hard for the people who go to camps to hunt or travel anywhere within the state to hunt ,, many don't have internet access once they leave home ,many camps don't have telephones either ,and in many places cell phones don't work either ,, once again more regulations equals less hunters
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunting at camp with no cell phone service for a week straight. Yea you can forget that from happening. I think they should concentrate efforts elsewhere when it comes to this purposed bill IMHO.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:08 PM

A guy shoots a deer on his back forty is really gonna load up and drive across the county to a deer check station. As I recall Virginia had mandatory deer check stations and in rural areas couldn't get the resident folks to bring their deer in.

At least the reporting system is convenient to comply with.

And the PGC is going to use what money to hire the folks manning the deer check stations?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I can see the need for a short window to bring a harvested big game animal to an established check station for elk, bear season or for deer in CWD areas.
I don't see the need to have a 24hr. window for regular season deer or turkey harvests. It's just not practical for guys in camps that don't have internet or cell service which is more prevalent than Mr. Alloway may realize.
The current regulations are fine. They just need to be enforced.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 PM
The Man

I say just make it mandatory to report ALL tags within 24hrs of the close of the last season, kill or no kill. It wouldn't be perfect because of the liars and manipulators out there, but it would make it a close harvest estimate. If you don't report, no license next year.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

While it is important to increase the reporting rate it will never be 100%, nor does it need to be. Not allowing a hunter to buy a license is not proportionate to the impact of the violation. Therefore, I would not support any if you don't report you can't buy a license provision. It would do much more harm to the hunters of PA than it would benefit.

I miss my hunting partner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page