HSUS Lead Ammunition Ban - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

HSUS Lead Ammunition Ban

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2558631

January 14, 2015

Congressional and court action blocking the Environmental Protection Agency from banning the use of lead ammunition isn’t tripping up the Humane Society of the United States, now focused on a new legislative bid to ban lead ammunition for sport hunting on national parks and national wildlife refuges.

Humane Society President Wayne Pacelle told Secrets that the effort is focused on requiring some agencies within the Interior Department, specifically parks and refuges, to stop the use of lead bullets.

The group and others claim 10-20 million animals a year from 130 species are poisoned eating the spent bullets, and pellets from shotgun shells.

“We are committed to the legislation and we will be working with our allies in Congress to get it introduced,” said Pacelle.

He noted that the Federal Wildlife Service has banned lead shot for hunting migratory birds, resulting in the production of several alternative ammos.

Opponents like the National Rifle Association recently cheered the EPAs decision not to ban lead are likely to fight the new effort. Several groups have said that there isn't any way to prove that 10-20 million animals a year are killed from ingesting lead, and that the real goal is to limit hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Re: HSUS Lead Ammunition Ban

I don't know how, when, or where it'll start, but rest assured it's coming. Most of Europe is gone to lead free only, for hunting. And since our gov't seems heck bent on following Europe's lead anymore, it's going to happen in the US.
Here in Germany it's been lead free only, on state lands since April of last year.
And no, I haven't seen any reports that support the claims of wildlife being poisoned. But hey, it's lead, so it has to be bad right?

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

I started casting about a year or so ago and have been stockpiling ingots since. I also shoot in my backyard where I built a recoverable bullet trap so I can recycle the boolits and make new ones all the time. I'll never stop using lead...

500lbs doesnt really take up that much space.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Sage

EPA Closure of Last Lead Smelting Plant to Impact Ammunition Production

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is not content to infringe on property rights; recent actions taken against the country's last lead smelting facility will affect the right to keep and bear arms, as well, by substantially impacting the production of ammunition. As of December 31, 2013, the lead refining plant will close for good.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports:

About 145 employees of the Doe Run lead smelter [in Herculaneum, Missouri] learned they will lose their jobs at the end of December because of the plant’s closure, the Doe Run Co. said Wednesday. An additional 73 contractor jobs also will be eliminated.

The job cuts were expected. The plant, which has operated for more than a century and is the lone remaining lead smelter in the United States, announced in 2010 that it will cease operations at the end of this year.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

That all sounds so very sterile, but the truth of the matter is that in shuttering this plant, the Obama administration has taken yet another unconstitutional step, one that will severely impinge on the nation's ammunition manufacturing capability. Why would the Doe Run Company, the owners of the Missouri lead smelting facility, agree to being run out of business by the EPA? One word: extortion.

In a document published on its website, the EPA explains that in order for Doe Run to continue its operations, the company would have to agree to pay “$65 million to correct violations of several environmental laws at 10 of its lead mining, milling and smelting facilities in southeast Missouri. The settlement also requires the company to pay a $7 million civil penalty.”

In a statement to the press, Doe Run said the fine and the required upgrades to its facilities were “too financially risky.”

The effect on the right to keep and bear arms is obvious. As explained by the National Rifle Association (NRA):

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufacturers for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several “secondary” smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

Without ammunition, a gun is just a club. The government knows this, and in light of the ongoing project of arming federal agencies to the teeth with millions of rounds of ammunition and military-grade weapons and vehicles, the EPA’s closing of the Doe Run plant, although not a direct assault on the right to keep and bear arms, can be seen as another step toward civilian disarmament.

While a few other media outlets have reported on the closure, none has connected this dot to a couple of others in the overall plan to leave Americans without weapons and ammunition..........

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/con...tion-production

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
The Man

It also would mean higher costs for the shooter.

Based on retail prices I've seen, the cost of a "modern" lead free bullet runs about seventy cents apiece.
The cost of a lead round ball bullet for a muzzleloader runs some twenty cents a piece.
Anti hunters know their work raises prices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page