Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Meeting Video with topical time stamps


Following is a synopsis of the topics discussed during the December 15, 2014 Game Commission BOC Working Group Meeting.

Each video is preceded by a short commercial. The video service is a free service being used to live stream and host the video from GC meetings as the state IT system does not support this activity.

Each video is broken down by topic with a time stamp. Use the video slider bar to find the notated number / topic:


Video 1 of 4
http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommissi...medium=ui-thumb



<span style="font-weight: bold">Information and Education</span>



00:00 <span style="font-weight: bold">Results of the Concurrent / Split Rife Deer Season Survey</span> are discussed. This was a survey of licensed deer hunters from the previous season.

14:30 Q & A from the BOC on the survey



18:20 GOHuntPA.ORG update



<span style="font-weight: bold">Video 1 tape ends at 50:46</span>



Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

<span style="font-weight: bold">Video 2 of 4</span>

http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommissi...medium=ui-thumb

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wildlife Management</span>


00:00 <span style="font-weight: bold">WPRA Pheasant trapping and stocking plans</span>

Only South Dakota will be providing pheasants this year
Two WPRA’s will be stocked this year: Higgins and Franklin with the first birds going to Higgins
The cost of the trapping effort to be provided by Pheasants forever – 15 k and personnel
A target of 600 birds is being proposed – all weather dependent, and the first 100 birds go to SD for their own use.



8:46 <span style="font-weight: bold">Bat conservation – White Nose Update

There is a treatment being tested</span>
Testing being done in Missouri
The treatment is a spray
The GC is working with landowners and the regions for enhanced enforcement from unauthorized entrance into the bat caves.




<span style="font-weight: bold">14:37 Seasons and Bag Limits Preliminary Proposal</span>

Based on recommendations from field staff and the regions


*** Plans being developed for a WPRA hunt.

Staff proposes a 6 day snow shoe hare season. Commissioner Delaney will oppose due to a incomplete study and limited reasoning for the season suggestion.

Crow hunting: season limited to 128 total days a year by USFWS. The GC is going to seek additional days spring 2015.

A suggestion was made to make incidental take of porcupines in the southern portion (non-native portions) of the state.





<span style="font-weight: bold">23:00 Archery Bear Season Week rollback / inclusion of other Weapons - DEER

A robust and long discussion on moving the current archery bear season back one week and including it in the last week of the regular archery season.

Staff proposing same season as last year.
Staff has no real opposition to the season (week) change, other than the admin costs for checking bears
Staff estimates a total take of 900 bears if the week is changed, up from the 1-200 taken now. So 5-600 additional bears estimated to be taken.
If the season is rolled back, the question and cost comes into the check stations. Alternatively, the reg could require the hunter taking the bear to the regional office for processing.
The inclusion of flintlocks into the archery bear season was raised.
** Comm Delaney - I want to explore adding flintlock in the same week as archery bear. The same week.

Info:
This past bear season 173,000 bear licenses were sold statewide
29% of the deer harvest is in the last week of the archery deer season.</span>

*** the discussion evolved into expanding the last week of the archery deer season to other weapons, flintlock included.




<span style="font-weight: bold">
37:47 Split / concurrent Deer Season</span>

Staff recommending some changes to some WMU’s.

SRA WMU boundaries
Staff is proposing returning to the former WMU boundaries’.

The BOIC is resisting that, as changes were made last year to try and help antlerless tags to the actual SRA portion of the WMU’s.




<span style="font-weight: bold">41:18 Discussion of the turkey seasons</span>


Commissioner Putnam asked the rest of the BOC to try and make all the season and bag limit changes during the January Meeting. In years past, changes were made in April, no public comment, and it hurts people that are required to submit vacation requests the first of the year.



<span style="font-weight: bold">48:46 DEER</span>

Discussion on the current and possible future WMU boundaries
WMU’s are not just for deer. 9 species are managed with the WMU system. Changing a WMU causes other issues.
WMU’s can’t address other issues, small landscape issues.

Permits deal with the local issues.



<span style="font-weight: bold">1:07:08 Fawn Predator Study</span>

The scoping session determined and set 6 questions to be answered
Like the Deer Study being done by PSU – research teams will use social media to announce recent findings or interesting information. (some might recall the buck movement video and the recent deer movement to safety the day before the deer season post on HPA)
Two study areas
2 types of GPS monitoring systems. The standard and a virginal system to monitor birthing and the exact location.
The GC will seek to beef up bear tagging
<span style="font-weight: bold">IN the process of gearing up to start this study. Hiring people, putting resources / equipment in place.</span>



1:11:30 Q & A on the study




1:25:07 Comm Hoover wants to <span style="font-weight: bold">explore a second buck tag for inside the SRA a</span>reas – ONLY. Discussion follows

1:28:00 Initial report on SRA Baiting

Around 1:32:00 Discussion turns back to the second buck tag for the SRA discussion.




<span style="font-weight: bold">1:33:30 Proposal to split 5C reduced a bit. Getting more of the urban area into it. Expand 5D. Reduce the pressure and tags in 5C. </span>


<span style="font-weight: bold">1:41:46 DMA 2 </span>

Question on how DMA2 tags sales and use have gone so far.
Staff – no complaints. It addresses the issue. No real results back. Over 12,600 tags sold so far.
Reminders are going to be sent to tag holders to report kill / no kill.



<span style="font-weight: bold">1:44;50 Budget and Finance</span>

Lots of numbers and antidote’s based on the numbers presented.



<span style="font-weight: bold">Video end 2:11;15</span>

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

<span style="font-weight: bold">Video 3 of 4</span>

http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommissi...medium=ui-thumb



00:00 <span style="font-weight: bold">Final Adoption Regulations for January</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nuisance wildlife Removers – Trapping</span>


<span style="font-weight: bold">Limited take of Peregrine falcons </span>by qualified falconers (follows USFWS guide lines) (Understanding this to be capture for use)



<span style="font-weight: bold">4:25 Proposed rule making</span>

Regulated baiting permit type of property eligible for use change


Pre-season turkey scouting – unlawful to use any sort of call during the 30 days preceding any turkey season.


** LE – tis would be very difficult to enforce. Be very careful with this regulation.
Originally asked for as some complain people are practicing calling and educating birds.


///// likely not on agenda ///




<span style="font-weight: bold">Marking of treestands on game lands: stands will be marked with name and address of owner or number issued by treestand.</span>


Could we use CID number – yes, but opens the ability to mess with online records with some other basic information.
The cost for a GC ID number would be minimal, similar to a trapper number. But the numbers issued would be higher.
This will case additional work if we know who the stand belongs to. If we know who owns it, we have to send a certified letter, and they know when they come to get it they will get a fine.
Three other states in the NE US have this regulation. Others are looking at it.


//// likely not on agenda, but likely to be proposed as new business in January ///





Cable restraint locks – working with staff with what lock can be used.

/// Still pending – no action ///



<span style="font-weight: bold">Disabled Vet's Free Antlerless license </span>

Act 80 of 2014 – created a second class Vet of disabled persons. We provide antlerless licenses to 100% disabled vets. Will this second class of disables Vet’s going to get the free licenses? Covers Vet’s with a disability from 60 to 96% . Talking hearing losses, physical limitations, and the such.

Discussion ensues.

Vets already get reduced fee licenses - $1

<span style="font-weight: bold">On the agenda for January</span>



<span style="font-weight: bold">Proposal text to allow antlerless license sales at POS locations.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This requires legislative change,
This text is informational and can be developed to present to the legislature to base legislation on.
We want to set this as a legislative priority this session.</span>





<span style="font-weight: bold">SLG user permit</span>

Some language to exempt some trails from the original proposal. Language to be used if the permit is ever adopted.
15 years old or younger or the permit holder and the plus one 9person with permit holder) exempt

<span style="font-weight: bold">Further discussion later in afternoon</span>





<span style="font-weight: bold">28:34 Title 75 authority for WCO’s (Vehicle Code) </span>


Currently only for misdeaneanors and felonies, we didn’t allow for summaries – seen as mission creep.
Will take of act of the legislature to do this. Doubtful if there is much support from the legislature on this.
Comm Layton (?) - this will help stop road hunting. But without the ability to use vehicle code for initial stop, it is difficult.

Long discussion ensues




<span style="font-weight: bold">37:00 Issue a device called the SPOT to rural officers in non working communication system areas</span>

Specific area being looked at is the NC. No cell, no radio coverage, and an officer out there alone. Satellite based system for emergency use only.
Discussion of NC communication issues ensues





<span style="font-weight: bold">43:10 Violations in DMA’s</span>
Last three years were 13

6 of 13 dealt with bringing in deer parts from other states
1 violation for feeding ban
6 were people removing parts from our DMA 3 from DMA 2



<span style="font-weight: bold">Discussion of use of deer urine.</span>


Last GC Vet discussion on this was 3-4 years ago. We need to have our vet come back and update us on this.


<span style="font-weight: bold">Can a DMA area deer farmer still produce deer urine for scent ….. YES</span>
What if they are quarantined… Yes– but let me double check

Still movement of deer from other CWD states into PA.
CWD / deer movement discussion.


<span style="font-weight: bold">So we have a deer farm where a CWD deer came from, the prions are there, and they can still sell urine?
We need serious discussion and another look at that.
Heck we are worried about how far a deer can walk, we should be concerned about haw far USP can ship.</span>


<span style="font-weight: bold">The bigger problem is, is this a PA reg, or a national reg? Does a CWD herd in another state have a prohibition from selling urine? </span>




<span style="font-weight: bold">51:37 Bat Cave Enforcement camera’s</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">53:25 DWCO body Camera </span>– not authorized by legislature


<span style="font-weight: bold">54:00 Game land use enforcement</span>

Late September 20 violations
Two details one in NE and one in the SE

55:20 update on replacement costs for wildlife
2011 $0 dollars

In 2013 / 14 season $167 k in costs.


<span style="font-weight: bold">56:35 Special permits</span>

Shooting range permits up to 40k +



<span style="font-weight: bold">58:21 video ends</span>

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

<span style="font-weight: bold">Video 4 of 4</span>

http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommissi...medium=ui-thumb


<span style="font-weight: bold">00:00 Prescribed fire program</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">
A great overview of the use of fire to provide habitat</span>.

5001 acres treated in 2014
Now doing growing season grass burns
Looking to do burns 9 months out of the year
Goal is 20k acres a year

<span style="font-weight: bold">12:15 Fire history of a PA VERY Interseting</span>

A pine stump life history / fire history from 1667 to 1985
14:30 Habitat Restoration
How much habitat can be produced for whitetails
16:10 Q&A
GC is burning five times more than DCNR
Burn Boss training


<span style="font-weight: bold">20:20 Mapping showing the 5C and %d WMU Boundary changes</span>

The discussion is amazing with the mapping tolls showing future projections!!



<span style="font-weight: bold">26:55 SGL Trail Use Permit - UPDATE</span>

Staff had meetings with itself, all regions, other staff, DCNR forest and parks people, and others involved in trails in PA.
Far more facts and numbers / and ideas came from the review.

The entire topic has been revisited, investigated, and multiple directions and actions developed.
2010 to 2014 12 tickets issued to horseback riders and cyclists
Same period 2500 tickets to ATV riders

<span style="font-weight: bold">33:50 problems identified
35:47 Immediate responses
36:40 Next Steps

37:20 Q&A </span>

Is this more one region than another?


<span style="font-weight: bold">38:00 SE and NE Regions Enforcement and signage results Since September 14

48:55 Regional Trails by GL being considered
49:47 Trails ID’d for revision or removal </span>



<span style="font-weight: bold">50:40 I&E Social Media Effort</span>

Updating regional websites and maps / descriptions of trails
<span style="font-weight: bold">NEW ACCESS CATOGORY FOR HANDICAPPED / DISABLED HUNTERS
Re-purpose some of the trails to disabled hunter trails.</span>


<span style="font-weight: bold">54:50 Possible solutions – various options</span>



<span style="font-weight: bold">1:00:50 Q&A Round Robin with BOC / Staff / Regional Directors</span>


<span style="font-weight: bold">
Video ends 1:21:46</span>

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 PM
The Man
 
grundsow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 6,615
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
A robust and long discussion on moving the current archery bear season back one week and including it in the last week of the regular archery season.
I think you mean *UP* one week, but anywho...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
Staff proposing same season as last year.

Staff has no real opposition to the season (week) change, other than the admin costs for checking bears
“Administration costs” are a hindrance to proper management? Interesting…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
Staff estimates a total take of 900 bears if the week is changed, up from the 1-200 taken now. So 5-600 additional bears estimated to be taken.
Anything that results in a higher bear harvest is at least a step in the right direction. Better yet would be to lengthen archery-bear season to 2 weeks.

That’s actually a significant number of bear, if the projection is accurate. Could come close to at least stabilizing population growth. And the earlier harvest might result in enough sows being killed to be meaningful. Very exciting news!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
If the season is rolled back, the question and cost comes into the check stations. Alternatively, the reg could require the hunter taking the bear to the regional office for processing.

The inclusion of flintlocks into the archery bear season was raised.

** Comm Delaney - I want to explore adding flintlock in the same week as archery bear. The same week
Now you’re talking. More exciting news!

That’s leadership, someone with a view of the big picture and a plan about it. And it comes from a commissioner, not staff. Interesting…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
IN the process of gearing up to start this study. Hiring people, putting resources / equipment in place.
What’s that you say? Fawn study under way? Whoohoo! I gotta watch this video.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
grundsow is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
dpms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 17,680
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Interesting that one commissioner talking about moving archery bear into archery deer has expressed concerns about the archery deer harvest many times. It was mentioned that this move could increase the archery deer harvest with more folks in the woods.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
dpms is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 AM
Senior Member
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh,PA.
Posts: 12,594
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Flintlock bear sounds great. I would even be for any muzzleloader, but hey flintlock is cool.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
octagon is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Regular Visitor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northcentral, PA
Posts: 64
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

I love the expanding bear hunting opportunities. However, I'm a little disappointed we STILL can't use scents/lures to hunt them (let alone bait) with the population as high as it is.
WalkerHndHemi is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 423
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Just watched the user fee session. In my opinion the boards' understanding of the recreation\tourism industry is limited. I have heard the same descriptions of their personal vacations and travels as basis for some of their ideas\recommendations now for two meetings. Not a personal jab at the commission, just PA is not the first state to experience this problem. I would have thought by this time the commission would have referenced specific instances and hard data from other states as case studies, not just "well X state or country charges X fee for X". Michigan shut down a SGL to all secondary uses that led to a contested court battle but the DNR's decision was upheld a number of years ago.
Sounded to me like they were already shutting down some trails. Primary target seems to be loop trails. Loop trails are what people want and shutting them down will create illegal loops.
I feel sorry for hunters that use the areas of the SE that seem to be the hotbed of these issues. I foresee the wrong person\groups down the road getting ticked off by not being able to use the game lands as they please and you will see land swaps to adhere to Pitt-Rob guidelines and the game SGL will turn into a park and the new SGL will be somewhere else farther away. Politicians tend to bend to the wind of public opinion.
This issue is not the same as the shooting range fee no matter how much the commission is trying to fit it into the same hole. The shooting range fee is a bargain compared to paying to use a private range or attempting to become a member of a sportsman's' club, many of which are not accepting new members. The designated trails generally provide a sub par experience and do not meet the secondary users' expectations. I wish they would just leave everything as-is, paint the trees with blazes, and actually enforce the laws they have. I think their direction has improved since the last meeting and I am happy they gave credence to the opinions of the employees who have boots on the ground.
We will see what happens at the next meeting.....
sdowns is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Franklin County
Posts: 24,796
Back To Top
Re: Dec 15, 2014 GC BOC Working Group Mtg Video

Bump, bringing this to the top.

Something for everyone in this meeting.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Bluetick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome