Survey Says! Coyote Harvest UP Again - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Survey Says! Coyote Harvest UP Again

Well, it happened yet again. Last year Coyote harvest grew higher still, setting a NEW RECORD of 40,956 Coyote. This persistent idea that “nothing more can be done” to control coyotes is not borne out in the data, it’s simply not true. Coyote harvest continues to climb.

According to PGC’s latest report (11101-13z.pdf), coyote harvest continued its 20+ year upward trend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B. Johnson , PGC Wildlife Biometrician
Five-year trends for harvests of furbearers indicate harvests have increased for raccoon and coyote,
The Bear population continued its climb too setting a NEW RECORD of 18,518 Bear.
23001-13z.pdf

And to round out the big-3 predators, Bobcats are still trending up. Incidental captures & releases went from 105 to 175.
61001-13z.pdf
Quote:
Bobcats.--The number of incidental bobcat captures, as estimated from the annual Furtaker Survey, has been steadily increasing since 1990. Greater than 500 incidental captures have been reported annually since 1995. The 3-year moving average of incidental captures has increased significantly during 1990-2013
Even Fishers were up too.
61001-13z.pdf
Quote:
We estimate that 1,257 fishers were captured and released by Pennsylvania trappers during the 2013-2014 season. The annual number of fisher observations and incidental captures reported to WCOs continued to trend upward since fishers were reintroduced in 1996
When will these species be stabilized? When will they be managed for balance?

At the other end of the spectrum, it’s no surprise that numerous game harvests declined.

Quote:
Harvests decreased for rabbit, grouse, squirrel, quail, snowshoe hare, and crow.
Over the past 5 years, harvests have significantly declined (P < 0.05) for rabbit and grouse,
Call me a cynic, but what is wrong with the big picture, folks? Why is every predator increasing and every valuable prey species declining? Why are trees being managed for so-called desirable species, while wildlife is being managed for non-desirable species?

Why are predators being allowed to increase in density and spread to every corner of the state while game plummets? When will the forest be managed to restore a healthy % of young forest on SGL to bring game populations back?

When will habitat and our wildlife resources be managed so that GAME animals can rebound to continue the supply of funds for wildlife management?

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 AM
dce
Sage

Re: Survey Says! Coyote Harvest UP Again

How many coyotes have you killed this year Grundsow?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Sage

Obviously the prey species are doing well enough to support the increases in predators.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Regular Visitor

It's my understanding that it's open season on coyotes for almost the entire year. What else do you want the game commission to do?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Didnt I just read somewhere that harvesting coyotes effectively does nothing to the population?

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Regular Visitor

Harvesting coyotes does manage the population, look at the graph of where the population would be with only a 15% harvest rate compared to a 50% harvest rate.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh42581
Didnt I just read somewhere that harvesting coyotes effectively does nothing to the population?
yes, the more you shoot, the more they reproduce, so in actually these hunts are doing the opposite in many areas according to science
Fact of the matter is, food dictates populations of predators. Deer, well, in SOME areas there is low food or higher than sustainable harvest, both of which need fixed to bring things back to acceptable levels for the sport. I'm content with where we are with all populations in my area.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler
It's my understanding that it's open season on coyotes for almost the entire year. What else do you want the game commission to do?
#1 Spring trapping (via Coyote-MAP for specific properties, or “bonus” spring-furtaker licenses, etc)
#2 Semi-auto’s
#3 Bounty system

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Quote:
yes, the more you shoot, the more they reproduce, so in actually these hunts are doing the opposite in many areas according to science
Fact of the matter is, food dictates populations of predators. Deer, well, in SOME areas there is low food or higher than sustainable harvest, both of which need fixed to bring things back to acceptable levels for the sport. I'm content with where we are with all populations in my area.
I agree to a point but you can also look at it as the hunter is the predator and the coyote is the prey. Just as coyote/gary alt (predator) can reduce the population of deer (the prey), the hunter/trapper (predator) can also reduce the population of the coyote (prey).

The fact that nearly every major predator was nearly wiped out in PA a century ago shows that population control is achievable.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Quote:
yes, the more you shoot, the more they reproduce....
That is misleading in that it makes it sound like..."OH well, losing cause, may as not doing anything." Science also has pretty good evidence that the ones we harvest, no longer eat or reproduce. That has the ability to knock the species on their heals for a period. I vote knock them on their heals and let them deal with reproducing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page