The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

How far do you walk?

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Hern 
#1 ·
I just got permission at a prime location; it includes three different farms and over 1,000 acres with a mix of grown-up pastures, crop fields, and wood patches. It has lanes running all through it but the thing is I'm not allowed to drive on the lanes so it'll be all walking back in. I'm really excited about it, it'll have a little old-school feel to it trapping all by foot.. How far do you walk on your line?

#5 ·
snappertrapper said:
I just got permission at a prime location; it includes three different farms and over 1,000 acres with a mix of grown-up pastures, crop fields, and wood patches. It has lanes running all through it but the thing is I'm not allowed to drive on the lanes so it'll be all walking back in. I'm really excited about it, it'll have a little old-school feel to it trapping all by foot.. How far do you walk on your line?
Would you be allowed to use a bike? At one time, I trapped a huge parcel that had lanes and paths. I was not permitted to drive in with a vehicle, so I used a mountain bike………a lot quicker than walking. I bolted 2 milk crates onto the bike’s rear rack to carry my gear.

I also used the bike when I did some trapping on State Forest Land in order to go beyond the gated roads.

#7 ·
i find a ton of great locations to set that are a walk back in. but i never get to set them because of work i cant get back to check them. i'm hoping i still have legs enough to do some woods trapping in 20 years when i retire. lol

i do have a couple good looking beaver spots that are way back that i might hit this year since we dont have a hare season out this way.

#9 ·
if i have to walk very far im not making any money and im not getting all my traps checked....i run from 120 to 150 sets in a day and walking isnt a option for me....if i cant drive my 4 wheeler on that farm i go to a neighboring farm where i can and catch the same animals in less time and less hassle...if i cant motor around and have to walk i dont trap it....this is K9 trapping now not a water line for rats and mink....

#10 ·
walkercoonhunter said:
if i have to walk very far im not making any money and im not getting all my traps checked....i run from 120 to 150 sets in a day and walking isnt a option for me....if i cant drive my 4 wheeler on that farm i go to a neighboring farm where i can and catch the same animals in less time and less hassle...if i cant motor around and have to walk i dont trap it....this is K9 trapping now not a water line for rats and mink....
I see where you are coming from, Walker. The thing of it is not all of us are in it for the money like you obviously are. Heck, I was like that myself at one time.

I think most of the posters on this forum are recreational trappers who simply like to enjoy the outdoors and catch a few nice pieces of fur along the way. If they have a couple of hundred dollars in their pockets after selling their fur and paying the bills that's just icing on the cake.

Tight chains.

#12 ·
It all depends on what you are in it for, the numbers, the cash, or the experience of it all. If you have allot of places to trap then it probably is not worth the time. If this is your only location, one of your only locations, or you are just looking for the trapping experience then why not. If you are looking to put up numbers then I too would pass, or save it for a secondary short line when your other lines shut down.

#13 ·
I run a trapline up at school in the Adirondacks, to get to fur you got to get off the road. That being said the farthest set on my line is around 3.5 miles back off roads. Each check round trip is roughly 7 miles of walking. Needless to say one gets into fantastic shape running that line for a couple months. As said above, a bike properly equipped can make checking a line more efficient and considerably quicker. Goodluck!

#14 ·
bobcat said:
i find a ton of great locations to set that are a walk back in. but i never get to set them because of work i cant get back to check them. i'm hoping i still have legs enough to do some woods trapping in 20 years when i retire. lol

i do have a couple good looking beaver spots that are way back that i might hit this year since we dont have a hare season out this way.
beavers will be the next thing to close

#15 ·
dietsch said:
bobcat said:

beavers will be the next thing to close
seems like that's what they want with the 2 conni limit. burns my butt when i can only set 2 conni , 15 feet from dam (makes no sense), 15 feet from hut ( i can see to save little ones) but then find out the GC is trapping beaver a month before season in a spot i had permission because the land owner didn't want to wait i guess.
there are 3 kinds of beaver.... ones on public land, wanted (people wont allow trapping) and unwanted.
as far as i can see all the rules only help the public beaver populations. beavers on private land that are wanted don't get trapped anyway and making i harder to trap the unwanted ones only get more nuisance calls for the GC and wastes my gas because it takes longer to get them out for the land owners. and if you dont get them out they just get shot by the land owners because of the damage they cause.

#17 ·
I easily walk 5 miles a day checking around 40 sets at 20 locations.I like to get in a ways to avoid dogs/deer hunters as I trap gamelands mostly.I have to take time off work to trap due to this though.Otherwise, I have to split the line in half and do over the course of a month

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.