No Bunker for Bait 2014? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

No Bunker for Bait 2014?

If things stay as printed and the dragger/s are only allowed to sell by-product bunker will be selling at $15.00 a fish for bait.

Quote:
February 10, 2014

Dear Atlantic Menhaden Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, Bait Net License Holder:
New Jersey Menhaden Dealer:

As of February 10, 2014 the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife has determined that the Atlantic Menhaden quota allocated to the commercial Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, and Bait Net fisheries will be harvested by February 12, 2014. Based upon this information and pursuant to N.J.S.A. 23:3-51.11(d)1 (L. 2013, c.74, s.13) theNew Jersey directed harvest of menhaden in the commercial Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, and Bait Net fisheries will be closed as of 11:59 PM, Wednesday, February 12, 2014.

Therefore, effective 12:00 AM, Thursday, February 13, 2014, no vessel shall land or possess nor shall any dealer accept any Atlantic menhaden harvested by Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, or Bait Net in excess of the by-catch trip limit of 6,000 pounds through December 31, 2014. The commercial Atlantic Menhaden Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, and Bait Net fisheries will re-open on January 1, 2015.

If the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife determines the directed commercial quota for harvesting Atlantic menhaden using Pound Net, Otter Trawl, Gill Net, or Bait Net was closed prematurely, notification re-opening those gear types will be provided.

If you have any questions, please contact the Bureau of Marine Fisheries at 609-748-2020.

Sincerely,

Brandon Muffley, Administrator
Marine Fisheries Administration

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: No Bunker for Bait 2014?

6000 lbs of by catch/vessel/trip is plenty to suffice for bait purposes. most of the guys selling for bait don't catch near that much a trip anyway. IMO This mainly will effect the big boats that catch for the fish oil industry and I believe will have a very negative impact on neighboring states and mainly the Chesapeake. With Jersey closed you can believe the big companies are going to get their fish somewhere with no regard to overfishing another area.

I applaud Jersey for this, just hope some other states mainly VA will take a hint.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh there is no doubt the boats will head to other ports to fish,but I see this putting a hurting on the fall stripper season too.
We usually place our order for fresh bunker a week ahead for fall trips and even then there is no guarantees they will be available.
If they really wanted to protect the bunker keep the draggers out of the Delaware Bay and stop them from using spotter plane's.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
Oh there is no doubt the boats will head to other ports to fish,but I see this putting a hurting on the fall stripper season too.
We usually place our order for fresh bunker a week ahead for fall trips and even then there is no guarantees they will be available.
If they really wanted to protect the bunker keep the draggers out of the Delaware Bay and stop them from using spotter plane's.
Chesapeake is same as Del bay. Stupidest thing ever allowing the big purse seiners and spotter planes in these highly sensitive estuaries. But like everything $$$ talks. $300 million/year plant in Reedsville VA pulls a lot of political weight.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page