the crabbing thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
The Man

the crabbing thread

due to so many stale posts in this topic, it was deleted and the last thread copied to start a new one.

TonyAccetta13 Offline
apprentice

Loc: PA
(174.55.140.166)
Originally Posted By: Longie
Ok Hunnter, I’ll help you out with your bump and get everyone’s taste buds scrambling.

We just steamed up a bunch this past weekend. And yeah, they were DELICIOUS!

I always clean all my crabs live anyway. And throughout the summer, I also keep stockpiling some in the freezer for the winter months. Take them out of the freezer; thaw them before steaming, and they taste just like fresh caught.

But, although I still have a bunch in the freezer, I’m afraid there won’t be enough to last until spring.

Oh, and the ones we steamed up this weekend – did I mention they were DELICIOUS? grin

Curious how you clean live crabs before freezing...just remove the lungs(aka devil fingers)??

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: the crabbing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleben
TonyAccetta13

Curious how you clean live crabs before freezing...just remove the lungs(aka devil fingers)??

I usually chill them on ice for a bit so they’re not quite as spunky and quick to grab a careless thumb.

I hold them on edge on the cleaning table, face down, and stick a butter knife between the top and bottom shells. Then stick in a second butter knife next to the first. Pull the knife handles in opposite directions and the shells separate. I cut off the face with a poultry shears.

After pulling off the lungs, and since I’m not one of those perverts who eats the mustard, I wash out the mustard with a hose. Stick them in zip lock bags and into the freezer they go.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

A tooth brush is handy for cleaing the insides out with the hose as well. When I crabbed a lot this is how I cleaned them. They never lasted long enough to make it in the freeezer though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 PM

We do freeze some, but we pick alot and freeze the meat for crab soup, crab balls, and crab cakes.

Gentleben,
Does that mean all the posts and pics from the original thread are gone?

American by birth, union by force.
Would like to see that bumper sticker.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yeah, hunnter. It would have been a logistical nightmare to try to save the pics. Now it's time for you guys to get some new pics on when the crabbies start bitin'. I wish all the crabbers a great season with lots of big #1's. I hope to spend some time in Hatteras this summer and will probably spend most of my time clamming rather than crabbing.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longie
Quote:
TonyAccetta13

I usually chill them on ice for a bit so they’re not quite as spunky and quick to grab a careless thumb.

I hold them on edge on the cleaning table, face down, and stick a butter knife between the top and bottom shells. Then stick in a second butter knife next to the first. Pull the knife handles in opposite directions and the shells separate. I cut off the face with a poultry shears.

After pulling off the lungs, and since I’m not one of those perverts who eats the mustard, I wash out the mustard with a hose. Stick them in zip lock bags and into the freezer they go.

With the crab top up and facing away from you I grab the swimmer fin leg where it meets the shell. The side of my index finger underneath and my thumb on top. With your other hand pull up the shell with your fingers placed directly in front of your thumb holding the swimmer fin. Pull up quickly and detach the top shell, and the crab is dead intantly. I then twist off the mouth, remove the dead mans fingers,legs, and reproductive equipment then rinse out. It takes a little practice, but it takes about 15 seconds when you get the hang of it. I made a video for someone with how to do it, if I can find it I will post a link.

American by birth, union by force.
Would like to see that bumper sticker.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrouse
A tooth brush is handy for cleaing the insides out with the hose as well. When I crabbed a lot this is how I cleaned them. They never lasted long enough to make it in the freeezer though.

I constantly keep my crab pot in my boat slip, so I get a few every day, but not enough to bother steaming up, so those are the ones I freeze. We run a trotline about every 2 or 3 weeks and then we usually clean and steam those right away.

My lady and I run an “assembly line” at the fish sink. I kill them and then she washes out the mustard. I’ll suggest the toothbrush to her. But she’s going to have to use her brush – she’s not using mine.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longie
Quote:
TonyAccetta13

With the crab top up and facing away from you I grab the swimmer fin leg where it meets the shell. The side of my index finger underneath and my thumb on top. With your other hand pull up the shell with your fingers placed directly in front of your thumb holding the swimmer fin. Pull up quickly and detach the top shell, and the crab is dead intantly. I then twist off the mouth, remove the dead mans fingers,legs, and reproductive equipment then rinse out. It takes a little practice, but it takes about 15 seconds when you get the hang of it. I made a video for someone with how to do it, if I can find it I will post a link.

I’d like to see the video. As I’m picturing it, it would seem the fin would pull off before the shell – but obviously it doesn’t.

You remove the legs, and what, toss them? There’s always that teeny tiny morsel of meat I like to squeeze and suck out of the legs. And, it only takes one hand to do it, so you can still hold your beer in the other hand.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 PM

While I appreciate the consolidation, doing it in January is just cruel! So here's some payback!

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm also glad to see others clean them live. I made the mistake of telling a Marylander that I do it that way, he acted like I just cut his arm off.. It's amazing how good they turn out, especially when using the meat for cooking over the winter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page